Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#283571 - 01/28/17 04:45 PM Hot topic - fire starting paracord
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Lately one can find "fire cord" - standard paracord with an additional waxy impregnated strand - for sale from various outlets. I have purchased from a couple of sources and I think this is a worthwhile, albeit a tad expensive, product.

Basically you get paracord. Checking it out, you will see a red strand inside the sheath. This can be pulled out and used to start a fire. Think of a candle wick without the candle. The pieces I have used (from two different suppliers) lit up readily and burned steadily, just like a candle. The strands light readily from a match and I suspect they would light with difficulty from a spark, but I have't tried that yet because I am a klutz with a ferro rod.

Starting a fire can range from a trivial task to a critical, well nigh impossible challenge with life itself hanging in the balance. In the later situation, I would prefer to have some of this stuff around. I would pull out 10 cm or so, insert it beneath my dry, fluffy tinder and light it up. It should ignite any reasonable fine tinder. This happens with fresh paracord. How readily pcord will ignite after it has been hanging around for five years or so is anyone's guess. I think the stuff deep inside the cord will be OK, even if the exterior portion has dried out.

To me, this product provides additional capability to an already common item in my gear. I will eventually replace all my zipper pulls with this paracord, for instance.

Please, no flames, in response to this posting....

#283572 - 01/28/17 04:59 PM Re: Hot topic - fire starting paracord [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have looked at this stuff before, but never tried it. Thanks.

#283575 - 01/29/17 02:56 PM Re: Hot topic - fire starting paracord [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor

To me, this product provides additional capability to an already common item in my gear. I will eventually replace all my zipper pulls with this paracord, for instance.

I've been thinking along these lines too. I saw fire cord zipper pulls on my local army suplus store's website. (Can't remember the brand name of the manufacturer, sorry.) It seemed like a genius idea to me, and easy to DIY if you can get your hands on some of this cord. I'm a brick and mortar shopper, and haven't seen any (cord or pulls) around here yet but I am keeping a look-out for it.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283577 - 01/29/17 03:40 PM Re: Hot topic - fire starting paracord [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Can you order from REi? They have the UST version at a decent price.

#283578 - 01/29/17 03:44 PM Re: Hot topic - fire starting paracord [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#283580 - 01/29/17 05:02 PM Re: Hot topic - fire starting paracord [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I have a package of the Exotac zipper pulls in service and I am confident they will work, if needed. The problem is the price - nine bucks for five zipper pulls versus the UST cordage which is thirty feet for six bucks. That's a lot of zipper pulls, plus shoelaces and all the rest.

I am a fan of Exotac stuff but they ain't cheap.

#283581 - 01/29/17 05:37 PM Re: Hot topic - fire starting paracord [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Think of a candle wick without the candle.

Wouldn't a plain old candle be good then? Or even better, one of those "Can't blow 'em out" trick birthday candles to give you some wind resistance? Maybe just some vasoline or petroleum based first aid jelly smeared on your regular paracord to turn it into a candle.

While a strand of flammable stuff buried inside of your paracord might work OK, it just seems like technical overkill to me.

#283584 - 01/29/17 07:41 PM Re: Hot topic - fire starting paracord [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I would agree, a candle, especially the "no snuff" variety would start a fire just as well, but they don't work as well for zipper pulls or shoelaces. I am sure a candle will melt and degrade if used to wrap the handle of a knife, although I have not tested that proposition.

The point is that if you are using pcord for stuff like ZPs, it might as well be the stuff with the pretty red strand inside, because you then have more options for starting a fire. I definitely keep the fire starters formerly present in my kit -you cannot have too may options when it becomes vital to start a fire - voice of experience speaking.

And when you need to have a fire and warmth or signaling or whatever, you can be sure that you will need to start this fire under exceedingly unfavorable conditions. Stack the deck in your favor.

Since I am foaming at the mouth in my ecstatic praise of this stuff, I should add that I have no commercial interest, not even a little bitty emolument, involved in this product.

Edited by hikermor (01/29/17 07:54 PM)

#283593 - 01/29/17 09:00 PM Re: Hot topic - fire starting paracord [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

good idea..and if you have your jacket or pack with the zipper pulls...you should include a basic fire kit in the pocket. ( I worry much more about spark/flame, than tinder in these situations...

#283596 - 01/29/17 09:59 PM Re: Hot topic - fire starting paracord [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

This stuff travels better than candles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.