Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#283455 - 01/21/17 11:10 AM Survival kit for your home.
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
The number one item on my ideal Bug out list; Survival Lilly, shows a home survival kit. Including the 'flowering pot' heater. It's the only list I've seen with a geiger counter. For some reason people believe in stocking up on guns for the end of the world; but don't prepare for the only thing that could wreck western society; a nuclear war (spoiler alert there is no such thing as zombies).

https://youtu.be/ARZ0EGlIBkY

qjs

#283466 - 01/21/17 04:26 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
She features one of my favorites - the Trangia stove, simple to operate and runs on a variety of fuels. I would be tempted to augment it with a small canister stove, if space permitted.

#283467 - 01/21/17 05:57 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I heard that the flowerpot heater can be dangerous due to CO. The pot prevents proper burning.

Also not sure how usefull a geigercounter is. It's just a tiny part of equipment and skill level of any radiation incident...

#283468 - 01/21/17 08:49 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Someone somewhere should make it clear that the flower pot used needs to be terracotta, not the usual plastic ones you find today. So, here I am stating the obvious.

I first heard of doing this many years ago, but putting the pot on top of a natural gas fired stove's hob---supposedly a big increase in radiated heat. The stove, I think, would not produce any more CO than normal as the gas and O2 are mixed in the stove prior to burning, thus the blue flame.

I'm very skeptical of the tea candle producing any useful heat.

#283469 - 01/21/17 10:14 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: bws48]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Presumably the tea candle will produce enough heat to equal that radiated by the typical human bod. That might help in a small, enclosed space.

Fortunately,my living room sports a fireplace and I have a stack of firewood. That will produce a lot more heat.

#283471 - 01/22/17 04:52 AM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I love Survival Lilly, and her friend Bushcraft Steph. Great channels!

#283472 - 01/22/17 05:13 AM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My only comment is why all the small gear such as you'd have in a BOB or GHB?

Lighting: Why a headlamp when an LED lamp can light the room, not just where your head is pointing? A headlamp has its place, but there are better options for a home kit.

Cooking: Why a Trangia alcohol stove when a cheap butane stove can heat a lot more food and water faster? I expect to see a Trangia in a small hiking kit,not a home kit. We've had a few power outages and cooking on butane is not a problem.

Food: I mostly agree. Most people do not stockpile food at home these days.

#283474 - 01/22/17 12:31 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: Russ]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Russ
My only comment is why all the small gear such as you'd have in a BOB or GHB?

+1

At home, even in a small apartment, there are more effective choices. As suggested, a LED lantern, or, really old school, kerosene lamps: many choices. Same with cooking: a two burner propane Coleman stove will work fine at home.

#283480 - 01/22/17 03:08 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yeah, there are both kerosene and LED lanterns here. If it's just a short power outage, there's no reason to break out the kerosene. An LED lantern is fine until the sun comes up and they don't smell. My other half liked my County Comm Lumora LED lantern so much I bought one just for her.

OTOH, I need my coffee et al and if the power is out when it's time to heat something, my GasOne butane stove comes out without a second thought. It heats water as fast if not faster than the electric stovetop.

OT: GasOne now has a dual fuel version. GAS ONE NEW GS-3400P Dual Fuel Portable Propane & Butane...
Quote:
...Compatible with both butane (Fuel not included) and propane fuel (Fuel not included) / Operates on a single butane cartridge 8 oz or a propane cylinder 16.4 oz (Propane converter Regulator Included) **With Propane connect the adapter hose to the stove first before connecting to the 16 oz Propane tank***...

I may do this. I already have a conversion line to use a 20# propane bottle on my Coleman stove, so maybe ...

#283482 - 01/22/17 04:03 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The correct answer, for me, at least, is "all of the above." I have accumulated gear suitable for car camping, back packing,minimalist hiking (SAR), caving, and just about everything in between. I have two double burner propane stoves and three Trangias, for example. They can all come in handy whe the utilities are interrupted

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.