The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#283535 - 01/25/17 03:37 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You lost me with "no oil, butter or maple syrup". How do you get away with calling them pancakes? wink

Besides the texture of bread being different than pancakes, one being baked while the other is fried, look at the ingredients: Flour Water Salt Yeast for bread versus Bisquick for the other (just add, oil, butter and maple syrup).

#283536 - 01/25/17 04:09 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: Russ]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Here is a recipe for pancakes with flour, salt water and yeast.
The texture is close to flat bread. You can choose to drown it in butter and maple sirup or you can put some fruit or salami on it. Cut into thin slices it tastes well with some broth.
Reading all those recipes I wonder if we have to be really careful to avoid putting on too much weight in a "survival situation" at home blush .

#283538 - 01/25/17 05:03 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: M_a_x]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I view pancakes & waffles as something to carry the goodness (butter & maple syrup) to my stomach. Without those accessories, what are pancakes good for? I might replace the maple syrup with raspberry jam, but the butter stays. smile

Germane to the "good for you" topic, as long as you'all want "healthy" pancakes, there is a Gluten free version of Bisquick and while in Trader Joes this morning I saw a box of "Buttermilk pancake & waffle mix", which is probably similar -- so there you go. I have tried neither, so buyer beware. Don't mess with perfection wink

#283540 - 01/25/17 08:28 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: Russ]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Russ;

This channel is 17th Century oriented, and the video is an intro to Dutch Oven cooking (bread) in 17th Century Canada. Should still work---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGBvqNJ8H-U

#283541 - 01/25/17 09:06 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Thanks, that was an informative video, here's a hotlink - Dutch Oven Baking: Getting To Know The Utensil. I like that he used a ceramic baking dish as all I'd seen previously were standard metal bread pans.

Heating the lid as was shown in the video to get the heat distributed uniformly makes me wonder how well a Dutch oven would work with a propane/butane/kerosene/whatever camping/picnic stove where the heat is only on the bottom. The air temp inside the pot would need to get hot and would heating from the bottom only get the temp high enough? Maybe Hikermor is correct -- pancakes. cool

#283544 - 01/25/17 11:55 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Russ

Germane to the "good for you" topic, as long as you'all want "healthy" pancakes, there is a Gluten free version of Bisquick and while in Trader Joes this morning I saw a box of "Buttermilk pancake & waffle mix", which is probably similar -- so there you go. I have tried neither, so buyer beware. Don't mess with perfection wink

I love how marketers have equated "healthy' with "gluten free;" As I understand it, normal flour with gluten is perfectly healthy, unless you suffer from celiac disease, and perhaps some other syndromes. Like anything else, too much is a bad thing (and it is easy to consume too much, especially mine, which are graced with chopped walnuts and blueberries) some folks are allergic to nuts, so you can't win....

Perhaps we are dealing with alternative facts....

Edited by hikermor (01/25/17 11:59 PM)

#283545 - 01/26/17 12:29 AM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I like walnuts and blueberries. I haven't tried them in pancakes though because the rule book says ... wink there is no rule book. I bought a box of that "healthy" pancake mix just to try and my first batch will have walnuts and blueberries (and butter). With the blueberries in the mix, I hold off on maple syrup.

I don't have celiac disease and have no problem with wheat, but I still prefer rice if it's available.

#283546 - 01/26/17 03:32 AM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
As I understand it, normal flour with gluten is perfectly healthy, unless you suffer from celiac disease, and perhaps some other syndromes.

For people with celiac disease, gluten free is a must. It can be pretty bad otherwise. I have a good friend who has a very rough time with celiac disease.

But many people who insist on gluten free are doing that because it is the newest fad, not because they have celiac disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

#283552 - 01/26/17 05:43 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

For those who think gluten-free is a compromise, I tried the non-gluten pancake mix today (mixing blueberries in) and maybe it's just me, but they tasted like really good blueberry pancakes. Comfort food.

The hardest part was convincing my other half to not help; it's her kitchen.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.