Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#283533 - 01/25/17 01:00 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
Does the trunk open with a physical key? One of those magnetic key storage cases could securely hide a key inside your trunk indefinitely and if a physical lock can access it, there you go.

Just thinking out loud, I have only mechanical locks and my third key is identical to the other two, it is not coming apart.

The trunk doesn't open with a key. What a stupid design! LOL! There's 5 doors (including the rear cargo door) and only one has a key lock on it. DOH!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283543 - 01/25/17 09:52 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: Russ
Does the trunk open with a physical key? One of those magnetic key storage cases could securely hide a key inside your trunk indefinitely and if a physical lock can access it, there you go.

Just thinking out loud, I have only mechanical locks and my third key is identical to the other two, it is not coming apart.

The trunk doesn't open with a key. What a stupid design! LOL! There's 5 doors (including the rear cargo door) and only one has a key lock on it. DOH!

I have the same configuration. I figure there's two options. The first is a combination key safe anchored to the outside of the car at a well hidden location. There are auto specific key safes for this. The other is to have the key safe hidden inside the car along with a plastic, credit card key, inside your wallet.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283548 - 01/26/17 01:38 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think you're right, Mark. I'm going to go get a magnetic box today!

I had another key fob break on me while hiking this week. I need to figure out a carrying case for them while they're in my pack so they don't get smashed. The key portion broke off and fell before I realized it when I took my keys out of the pack. Thankfully, I had a second key stashed in my jacket, just in case, and was able to find the broken key within a few minutes of looking.

I sometimes think it might be easier to just ditch my car and go back to my bike and trailer! wink

#283553 - 01/26/17 07:56 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: bacpacjac]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

I had another key fob break on me while hiking this week. I need to figure out a carrying case for them while they're in my pack so they don't get smashed. The key portion broke off and fell before I realized it when I took my keys out of the pack...

Hi,
is there a pocket at the top of the pack? about wallet size?

#283556 - 01/26/17 10:15 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I think you're right, Mark. I'm going to go get a magnetic box today!

I had another key fob break on me while hiking this week. I need to figure out a carrying case for them while they're in my pack so they don't get smashed. The key portion broke off and fell before I realized it when I took my keys out of the pack. Thankfully, I had a second key stashed in my jacket, just in case, and was able to find the broken key within a few minutes of looking.

I sometimes think it might be easier to just ditch my car and go back to my bike and trailer! wink

I was thinking about something that bolts or straps to the car frame and requires a combination to open instead of a basic magnetic hide-a-key. Criminals aren't all dumb, and sooner or later you're going to run into somebody who knows to check for a hide-a-key.

If you're going to continue to squash keys, it may be in your interest to by a small, crushproof container to keep them in. Something along the lines of a Pelican Micro.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283566 - 01/28/17 12:08 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just carry a spare.

#283567 - 01/28/17 12:19 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Mark_R]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
I was thinking about something that bolts or straps to the car frame and requires a combination to open instead of a basic magnetic hide-a-key.

If you have a trailer hitch one of these might work. I have no idea how secure these things are. I don't own one. But I was aware that they exist, so posting that here, with no recommendation of good or bad.

https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7000T-HS7000-Key-Vault/dp/B000I66JEM

#283568 - 01/28/17 03:50 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have but mediocre skill in picking locks but I wouldn't trust a lock with wheels like that. With the right tool (easily purchased or made) I would get through that lock in less than a minute.

#283569 - 01/28/17 08:36 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: haertig]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: haertig
I have no idea how secure these things are.

The people at TOOOL might have some information about it. They might also have members who can open that combination lock faster than a person who knows the combination.

#283576 - 01/29/17 02:58 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nifty idea, but in addition to be picked by a thief or vandal, I'd worry about the lock mechanism freezing or corroding. smirk

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.