Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#278783 - 01/13/16 07:15 PM Rethinking my edc ( every day carry)
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Looking at what I use and what I don't. Adding a cell phone battery & a pen.

What changes are you making to your 2016 kit?

#278784 - 01/13/16 07:19 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For me, I'm carrying two spare magazines instead of one, and I'm going to try carrying a compact pistol rather than a subcompact, and see how that goes. I'm also thinking about how often I carry a full-size multitool, and figure out if I should carry one more often.

#278785 - 01/13/16 08:25 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I gave up my cel phone when I gave up my job so that's number one for me, ASAP.

Here's a peak inside my EDC purse. My EDC Purse Show and Tell

I'd love any suggestions you may have!

My minimum always on-body EDC is a micro photon on a three feet of paracord, worn as a necklace, and a Casio digital watch with compass. As far as pocket carry when I got out, there's always a Bic in my pocket, along with a folding knife and lip balm, and usually some other odds and ends.

Edited by bacpacjac (01/13/16 10:01 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#278787 - 01/13/16 09:14 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
My EDC paradigm is a no EDC bag one (though, I'm always carrying the rip-stop collapsible bag on me).

At the moment I'm trying to convince myself to EDC something on the neck this year (got a neck knife, similar to Boker Magnum Lil Friend).

The rest of my EDC rethinking is about improving my current EDC system:

I have my keychain kit upgraded with nice clip-on hooks for separate item bundles http://www.ebay.com/itm/151785432830 (lightweight aluminum). These are also great with paracord, as their eyelet allows to thread through (from different sides) 2 ends tightly, melt them a bit, and have a secure, regulated paracord loop lanyard.

Also I've found nice black thick anodized rings, which are snugly fitting my belt after some squashing in the vise. That should allow my keychain kit to stay in a proper location on the belt (above the pocket's edge), be more securely attached to it, and allow smooth and easy snap/disconnect action.

Got 10 plastic pouches to organize my EDC stuff in a more flat and moisture resistant way in the pockets (see my other post on these). So far they work great.

Plan to 3D print special holders for various EDC items, which should prevent them from moving in the pockets. Plenty of them, as I have several regular outfits depending on the season and occasion.

Examples:
1. I have a shocker which perfectly fits in the internal loop of the side pocket of my ScotteVest Revolution jacket. But the loop is a bit high in the pocket, so the shocker sometimes falls down and out of the loop. The obvious solution is a side clip (like on a pen) which should keep it in place vertically.

2. Soft frame for the front pocket perspiration guard. I'm carrying the large smartphone (Note 3) in that pocket and using a thin piece of carbon fiber always staying in that pocket to keep the touchscreen dry. But edges of that screen are started tearing the inner vent mesh. The soft cornered frame on the shield should amend that and also should help self-centering the phone over it.

Some items are pending a replacement. Like the disposable rain poncho, which is usually developing holes at the creases after riding in the pocket for about a year.

#278793 - 01/14/16 02:56 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
For me, I'm carrying two spare magazines instead of one, and I'm going to try carrying a compact pistol rather than a subcompact, and see how that goes.

Good plan. I'm looking into this too. I'd love to figure out a way to conceal my full-size P30 and two spare mags. But that's quite a jump from a small lightweight single-stack subcompact. So I'll probably have to investigate a compact instead. A P30SK maybe?

#278794 - 01/14/16 03:23 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

My primary carry pistol right now is an S&W M&P Shield. I've purchased a concealment holster for an M&P Compact; I compete with one and have for some time. That gets me faster followup shots, better accuracy beyond ten yards or so, and more ammo available.

#278795 - 01/14/16 03:34 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for on body EDC, replaced the Fenix E12 with a Solar Force Z2 with H-M-L mode, and extra magazine for the G42... for car, added a somewhat larger bag to include more GSW trauma supplies, and a couple of extra magazines for the G17... exploring the role that flashlights may provide as a distraction device for those places I cannot legally carry ... I'm old, and can get away with carrying this generic pouch on my belt...

#278796 - 01/14/16 03:41 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I have carried a full sized 1911 (Wilson CQB) every day for about 12 years now. I've never had a problem with it in an IWB holster @ 5 o'clock. I usually carry 2 mags on my left side for it. This is with jeans, cargo pants, shorts, etc. The only exception is on my bike when I carry an XD in a fanny pack instead.

Hard to beat a single action trigger, full sized sight radius and less recoil. I think you will be pleased with the step up. With the right holster you probably won't notice the difference.

#278797 - 01/14/16 06:06 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
My primary carry pistol right now is an S&W M&P Shield.

Great choice. This is the number #1 pistol I recommend to others for concealed carry. I love shooting them. And it's the one I would buy for myself if I were replacing my current carry pistol, which I purchased long before the Shield was released, with another single-stack. Had the Shield been available at the time I purchased, the Shield would have gotten my money instead.

But now, with all that's going on in the world, I'm considering something with higher capacity than the Shield. The M&P Compact was at the top of my list, until I bought that P30, and fell in love with it. I'd have to compare the M&P Compact vs. the P30SK side-by-side before making a decision. The M&P is a compact holding 12+1 (in 9mm). The H&K is a subcompact holding 10+1. My current carry is a subcompact 7+1. The S&W compact wins in capacity, but the H&K wins in ergonomics, fit & finish. But the S&W Compact is nothing to sneeze at. It is a very nice and accurate pistol too. And a lot cheaper than the H&K. The thing about the H&K P30 ... once you put one in your hand, you just can't let it go. It immediately sucks the money right out of your wallet (and it sucks pretty hard, BTW!) The best fitting pistol (for my hand) that I've ever fired.

#278801 - 01/14/16 01:22 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
The thing about the H&K P30 ... once you put one in your hand, you just can't let it go.

I'll have to try it. Sometime when I have more money in the gun budget laugh.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.