Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#283499 - 01/23/17 07:03 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Bingley
You don't want to survive a nuclear war? One could say the same about anything that requires using up a massive stockpile of ammo to defend yourself.

The difference is, you have the potential to repel attackers but you do not have the potential to repel radiation.

I have way more guns and ammo than I'd need for the apocalypse. But I haven't been buying them for the apocalypse, I've been buying them because I have fun shooting them! I buy large quantities of ammo when it's readily available and inexpensive, like now. That way I don't run out, have trouble finding it, or have to pay exorbitant prices when the political winds shift to a different administration.

But because I have fun shooting firearms, and buy ammo during times of abundant supply, yeah, I'm ready for the apocalypse because of that. But that's not my primary goal.

#283500 - 01/23/17 07:05 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: hikermor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Presumably the tea candle will produce enough heat to equal that radiated by the typical human bod. That might help in a small, enclosed space.

Fortunately,my living room sports a fireplace and I have a stack of firewood. That will produce a lot more heat.

I've heard that too but a check on Wikipedia seems to indicate that it would take 3 tea candles to equal the BTUs an adult male will generate. I hear that a number of people will burn a candle in a snow shelter/Quinzee to bring the temp up to near the freezing mark. (Hotter than that would ruin the shelter and cause drips.)

#283501 - 01/23/17 08:09 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Does that mean when someone is said to be "hot"or is described as a "hottie", that they exceed the three tea candle norm? Inquiring minds want to know....

For that matter, you are quoting the BTU output of a male. What about the ladies??

Edited by hikermor (01/23/17 08:12 PM)

#283502 - 01/23/17 10:54 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: haertig]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
[quote=quick_joey_small]

Quote:
(spoiler alert there is no such thing as zombies).

If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for a lot of what would happen in a non-pretend scenario too. So talk about zombies and have tongue-in-cheek fun with that, but you're actually preparing for real problems at the same time.

If you read Max Brooks book "The Zombie Survival Guide", you will often times find yourself immersed in basic survival strategies and totally forget that the premise of the book is a zombie apocalypse. It's an entertaining and fun read, and believe it or not, you can actually learn some useful stuff from it.

I was gifted the book "The Zombie Survival Guide" for Christmas a few years ago and I really liked it. Then I asked myself if I was being silly and irrational. (Am I the only one who has these moments of self-doubt?) After rechecking my personal/family preparation goals, I realized that I was right on-track. Our basic survival needs are the same, if in different priorities, depending on our location and the disaster at hand.

It took me a while of lurking on the Zombie Squad site to understand and appreciate the zombie concept. There are quite a few people in the world who seem to genuinely obsess over the potential undead, and it can be off-putting, but for more of us preparing for less physically defined zombies is a great way to keep things in check and still meet your ubiquitous and specific local needs at the same time.

Not be overlooked is that fact that we can easily be poked fun at because of a particular disaster or "the end of the world as we know it" scenario we envision, but "zombies" keep our ideas more vague, and protected from the criticism of "You're crazy! Tha will NEVER happen!"

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283504 - 01/23/17 11:19 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
"You don't want to survive a nuclear war?"

A Formica plywood desk is the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKOctWC9sIA

Heywood Banks-SCHOOL DESK

(slightly sarcastically political, but funny and sweet)

#283507 - 01/24/17 12:33 AM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
+1^

#283510 - 01/24/17 01:40 AM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: haertig]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: haertig

But because I have fun shooting firearms, and buy ammo during times of abundant supply, yeah, I'm ready for the apocalypse because of that. But that's not my primary goal.

Not much point in a hobby if you're not enjoying it. And, if it doubles as a survival skill, more power to you.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283511 - 01/24/17 03:10 AM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Then I asked myself if I was being silly and irrational. (Am I the only one who has these moments of self-doubt?)

I'm pretty sure the lack of those moments is known as "megalomania."

Edited by chaosmagnet (01/24/17 03:11 AM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#283514 - 01/24/17 01:54 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I found an article this morning that's is germane to the topic, but deals more with the food aspect.
Storm-Proof Your Kitchen for Healthy Nutrition
Quote:
...you can stock your larder with the following foods to make it through the storm like a pro and eat deliciously along the way.

Whole-grain pasta. You can make any meal using whole grain pasta as your base adding the pantry items you already have on hand. Hopefully you have a propane burner on hand to boil water if the power goes out...

My ideas on food is that you should stock what you normally eat, just more of those foods that are shelf stable. We could eat for a couple months here and not touch an MRE.

$.02

#283515 - 01/24/17 05:37 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

If you haven't had whole grain pasta, please try some before you buy a whole cartload of it. Some people really hate how it tastes. So, yes, I'm in agreement with people who say stock what you normally eat. You don't want to be surprised with a digestive problem in a disaster.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.