Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#283478 - 01/22/17 02:28 PM Re: Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Ok, I see.
So it is "Buy a good charger for $40." instead of "Buy a good charged for $40.". That makes it much clearer.
I switched to rechargeables quite a bit of time ago. Considering the amount of cells, I have in use, the cost per cell for the charger is almost negligible.

#283479 - 01/22/17 02:49 PM Re: Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines [Re: M_a_x]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was surprised to see how much money can be saved by rechargeables...

#283481 - 01/22/17 03:45 PM Re: Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I am an engineer. We are not easily surprised wink. However I was pleased with the result of the estimate.
I usually gather boundary conditions, make assumptions if required and run the numbers. I might double check if the result does not match the initial gut feelings.
An additional knock out criterium for the alkalines was the disposal. On some weekends I run through up to 24 AA cells and maybe 1 9V battery for amateur radio equipment. It would literally hurt to haul that amount of cells to the store and throw it into their disposal box (as is the law here) on a weekly basis.

#283491 - 01/23/17 12:09 AM Re: Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
As mentioned in the home kit thread, we're looking at some possibly heavy rain passing through and in case the lights going out, I dropped a CountyComm AAA light in my pocket as a just in case. Pure copper body and you know I didn't use an alkaline battery -- Eneloops only in that light.

#283532 - 01/25/17 02:07 AM Re: Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines [Re: hikermor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
You all convinced me. I have a pile of Eneloop AA's and AAA's and a charger coming my way. Thanks everyone!

(And the environment thanks you too)

#283614 - 01/31/17 05:44 PM Re: Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines [Re: hikermor]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Another set of leaked alkaline batteries:

I use a programable remote to control my AV setup. I had to reset the DVD last night and so I needed to use the vendor's remote. I hadn't touched the remote in probably two years. Of course the Duracell batteries, that have an expiration date of 3/17, had oozed and caked the unit.

If you're sticking with alkaline batteries don't forget to take them out before you store your equipment.

If you do have a leak white vinegar and Q-tips can be used to remove corrosion.

#283616 - 01/31/17 10:34 PM Re: Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
If you go by/buy today you can get 24 aa or aaa zinc batteries for free.

I use them in cheap flashlights, calculators and old GPS. I have yet to have them
leak (unlike energizer or duracell) and they last as long as rechargeables and about 1/2 the weight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

Edited by clearwater (01/31/17 10:35 PM)

#283652 - 02/04/17 11:42 AM Re: Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines [Re: Quietly_Learning]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Q-L,

Do manufacturers offer replacement remote controls?? So frustrating!!!

I have a cottage up north, and everytime we leave we take the time to remove the batteries from the remote controls.

Last year, we actually had an alkaline battery leak while OUTSIDE of the remote!! Luckily we happened to have laid them on a plastic coaster so they wouldn't roll off the fireplace mantle - otherwise the leaking alkaline battery would have damage the mantle finish.

I received my Eneloops and have started using them. Only a week or so into it, but so far so good. Now I just need to make sure that my wife recognizes them as rechargables, and doesn't toss them when they run low!!!!!

Now I find myself wondering if they make a 9V version. So far I only see lithium rechargable 9V batteries.

#283654 - 02/04/17 12:15 PM Re: Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines [Re: KenK]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: KenK
Q-L,

Do manufacturers offer replacement remote controls?? So frustrating!!!

Hi KenK,

Depending on how old the electronics is a replacement remote can usually be purchased from the manufacturer but depending on the model they can be fairly expensive. I would recommend checking eBay to compare prices.

#283655 - 02/04/17 12:36 PM Re: Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines [Re: KenK]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: KenK
Now I find myself wondering if they make a 9V version. So far I only see lithium rechargable 9V batteries.

Eneloops only come in AAA an AA. You can purchase C and D shells that will let you use the AA in devices that use the larger batteries.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/search-results.html?keywords=Eneloop&x=0&y=0

They don't make them in 9v. I did a Google search for "low discharge 9v rechargeable" and got some hits. I haven't used any of them so I'm not going to make a recommendation.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.