The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#283484 - 01/22/17 05:11 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I imagine there are a number of gear junkies here. I made my first alcohol stove from a soda/pop can (7-Up as I recall) and it worked fine considering the price. There are lots of options. One stove that I bought on a whim and haven't yet used is a Vargo Hexagon Wood Stove. There are places I have hiked (but not in a while) where the small branches from trees are readily available on the ground and will provide a near endless supply of fuel. Otherwise, for SOCAL, there are a number of backpacking stoves which use white gas, kerosene or iso-butane fuel, but for my counter-top the Gas One stove seems an ideal back-up.

#283485 - 01/22/17 05:49 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
My only comment is why all the small gear such as you'd have in a BOB or GHB?

Lighting: Why a headlamp when an LED lamp can light the room, not just where your head is pointing? A headlamp has its place, but there are better options for a home kit.

Cooking: Why a Trangia alcohol stove when a cheap butane stove can heat a lot more food and water faster? I expect to see a Trangia in a small hiking kit,not a home kit. We've had a few power outages and cooking on butane is not a problem.

Haven't watched the video yet, but Lily seems to be targeting a wider viewership, those that perhaps aren't as familiar as we are with gear and it's use as we are. Many of them aren't outdoors people and would not be inclined to buy higher priced items for "What if?" use. An alcohol stove fits this niche nicely. They're cheap and easy to DIY with common household items. They're simple to use and don't rely on unfamiliar fuel sources.

I totally agree about home lighting. Get something bigger and brighter, why not, as long as you have the space?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283487 - 01/22/17 06:15 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am inclined to alcohol or gas stoves because of the weather we are experiencing right now in SoCal - wet and windy. I hiked for years, building campfires only, but the occasional brushes with sloppy conditions inclined me more and more towards some kind of stove which did not depend on dry wood

Gear Freaks?? Here? No Way!!!

#283488 - 01/22/17 06:36 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

That may be the answer -- a kit for non-outdoor types that does not take a large investment and is easy to use. For a home use alcohol stove though I really like the Vargo Decagon alcohol stove . The wide base gives it good stability so you don't end up with alcohol spillage.

OT: from the weather map it looks like there's HEAVY rain over LA right now. Time for Hikermor to break out the gear. wink

#283489 - 01/22/17 07:52 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

It is raining like the cows are doing their traditional thing on a flat rock, as the saying goes. The lights are still on, however, and my gear is poised and ready to go.

#283490 - 01/23/17 12:04 AM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Rain just started here. This system is moving very slowly. I don't anticipate a power outage, but if so, we'll be fine.

#283492 - 01/23/17 07:23 AM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
For some reason people believe in stocking up on guns for the end of the world; but don't prepare for the only thing that could wreck western society; a nuclear war

How do you prepare for a nuclear war? Dig an underground bunker, stock it with tons of supplies, and plan to live underground for a couple of decades? I'm not entirely sure I'd want to live through the aftermath of a nuclear war anyway. I highly doubt hunkering down for decades would be as fun as it's presented to be in "Blast From The Past".

Unlike gold and silver and other useless things that some people stock up on, firearms and ammo have very good uses - food procurement, self defense, bartering and trading to name a few.

Quote:
(spoiler alert there is no such thing as zombies).

If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for a lot of what would happen in a non-pretend scenario too. So talk about zombies and have tongue-in-cheek fun with that, but you're actually preparing for real problems at the same time.

If you read Max Brooks book "The Zombie Survival Guide", you will often times find yourself immersed in basic survival strategies and totally forget that the premise of the book is a zombie apocalypse. It's an entertaining and fun read, and believe it or not, you can actually learn some useful stuff from it.

#283493 - 01/23/17 02:15 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
For some reason people believe in stocking up on guns for the end of the world; but don't prepare for the only thing that could wreck western society; a nuclear war

How do you prepare for a nuclear war? Dig an underground bunker, stock it with tons of supplies, and plan to live underground for a couple of decades? I'm not entirely sure I'd want to live through the aftermath of a nuclear war anyway.

Even during a nuclear war there will be countries unaffected. What I want to know is how do we get there when the world goes to hell in a hand basket.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283494 - 01/23/17 02:25 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Remember "Duck and Cover"? Fallout shelters, various versions, were all the rage in the 60s, perhaps peaking around the Cuban Missile Crisis. My father installed an underground shelter on the 80 acres outside of town that was his weekend getaway for rabbit hunting and fishing. Two weeks worth of popcorn,peanuts,and water (no TV) and you could emerge to face the Brave new World. Dad never realized it, but he developed a perfect BOL,in today's parlance.

Firearms certainly belong in any normal, moderately well equipped household, but lots of survivalist types place way too much emphasis on weapons, and clearly anticipate way too much full scale combat...

#283497 - 01/23/17 06:18 PM Re: Survival kit for your home. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

You don't want to survive a nuclear war? One could say the same about anything that requires using up a massive stockpile of ammo to defend yourself.

On the other hand, if you still plan on shooting USPSA, IDPA, whatever, after the apocalypse, you should definitively stock up as much as you can. Why should we stop having fun just because the world ended?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 306 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.