Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#283498 - 01/23/17 07:01 PM Re: goTenna = bad idea? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm fond of the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZ12X14/) but there are other good ones.

#283506 - 01/23/17 11:49 PM Re: goTenna = bad idea? [Re: haertig]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: haertig
I looked at many of the sample questions. Breezed right through the technical ones (related to Elec Engr). Probably won't even need to review there, it was all very simple stuff.

The questions on rules and regs would take a little study. Many questions were pretty obvious and one could guess their way through them. But things like "Which agency does this?" would require learning, since that's all brand new to me. Also, "Which band is this frequency on?" would take a little study. There were also a few questions that fit into the oddball, "Why would they ask this?" category. Reminded me of some that popped up on my test when I transferred my Paramedic from Texas to Colorado. "What is the minimum ground clearance of an ambulance?" Huh? I ride in the back of them, I don't build them!

I breezed through the technical questions, and I'm a software engineer that dabbles in electronics. I only had a hard time when I got to Extra, but even that should be pretty easy for you.

Yes, the bands and the regulations are the tough part. The oddball ones that seem so arbitrary are a tiny part of the arbitrary things that are known. I think what they do is give you a taste that those sort of things need to be thought about, so you know to look them up when you need it. Like, that different antennas do different things.

You might also consider joining a radio club. The reason there are a lot of tests is there are a lot of clubs, with different focuses. I joined the nearest one to me, and I've been having a lot of fun.

#283599 - 01/30/17 04:08 AM Re: goTenna = bad idea? [Re: Bingley]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas

#284289 - 04/23/17 02:40 AM Re: goTenna = bad idea? [Re: chaosmagnet]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
It has been mentioned that you cannot use amature radio without a license. That is partially correct.

In an Emergency you may use ANY Radio to call for help. Legally.

A technician class license, which will allow you to use the 2 meter and 440 band, is easy to obtain, just study the license pool and pay the volunteer examiners fee (less than $20.00) and pass the test. That's it. . It's good for 10 years and is free to renew. There is no longer any morse code required.

2 meter is generally a better choice if you are in a mountainous area, but another band 6 meters is even better. (the lower the frequency the less line of sight it is.)

The question pool for all classes are found here:

http://www.arrl.org/question-pools

The above site also has the question pools for other classes. General class lets you use the short wave bands and have worldwide access.

In my case, 2 meter came in really handy after the Oklahoma city MAy 3, 1999 tornado, after which many people found out to their chagrin that cell phones did not work, nor did the regular phone lines either.

Wesley K0WHH

#284292 - 04/23/17 04:40 AM Re: goTenna = bad idea? [Re: WesleyH]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: WesleyH
It has been mentioned that you cannot use amature radio without a license. That is partially correct.

If I was in an emergency situation, I wouldn't care if it was "legal" for me to use a particular radio or not. That thought wouldn't even cross my mind. And if for some reason it did, it would be dismissed rapidly. My concern in an emergency would be "Do I know enough about this to use it effectively?", not, "Is it legal for me to use it?"

I checked out the ARRL book from my local library. Got about half way through it before I had to return it. No re-checking it out immediately due to a wait list on it. I'm now on the wait list to get it back, so I can finish it and go take the test. It took a couple of months to get through the wait list the first time I got the book.

After reading half the book, I see no reason to buy it so I can have my own copy. And I'm in no hurry to get a license. So I'll wait...

#284294 - 04/23/17 07:45 AM Re: goTenna = bad idea? [Re: WesleyH]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: WesleyH

The goTenna is meant for setting up a communication network. So probably the situation does not count as an emergency. However authorities may be stricter about keeping the frequencies free.
I am totally with you about recommending to get an amateur radio license.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.