Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#283378 - 01/16/17 05:56 PM What should you carry and why?
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What should you carry with you when out and about? Many different scenarios and situations, but I would consider a typical, relatively short day hike, like the one I took yesterday on a nearly perfect sunny cool day with an excellent forecast.

i was only hiking about a mile up the very obvious trail and then a mile back down. This trail sees a lot of traffic, especially on the weekend, so, although I was technically hiking solo, I wan't really alone.

Here is what I toted:

EDC (in pockets): key ring with small multitool, small pry bar, lighter, cash stash; cell phone, wallet w/band aids and the usual, cotton bandanna, wide brimmed hat, ball point pen; small flashlight, hiking staff

Small backpack: rainjacket w/hood, reflective vest, leather gloves, small pack of food bars w/coffee and tea packets, Biclighter in Exotac holder, liter bottle w/cup.

small roll of TP, notepaper, mirror; small FAK w/dressings and tape; "core bag" w/ headlamp, whistle, folding knife, match safe (filled), compass, signal mirror, duct tape, fire tabs, box of matches, heetsheet emergency bivvy, esbit fuel tab, 10 feet of masons twine

folding sierra cup and lid w/ esbit stove, folding spoon, small bottle of alcohol fuel/fire starter, bic lighter, 3 esbit tabs, coffee and tea packets

Wave w/bit kit and extender and 4" adjustable wrench, skeletool

No map because I know the area very well, but one should have been included, anyway.

I met about twenty people along the trail during this trip. Nearly everyone had much less than I did. Only two people carried backpacks, and several carried nothing, not even water bottles.

I would not go out with less. Why? My SAR experience provided countless examples of day hikes/picnic strolls that turned into full blown ops, some with tragic outcomes. When I go for a walk, I try to prepare to assist others who might be in distress or confused.

Just as I was ending my trip, I encountered a couple. He had a pack and two hiking staffs. She was holding a baby (one year old +/-) to her chest with her hands. Did I mention the trail was quite muddy from recent rains? I thought - there is an accident waiting to happen. Once SAR, always a bit of SAR, I guess.

The list above is pretty much my minimum for almost any excursion. For longer trips, a better stove and more extensive cooking gear, sleeping bag, tent or tarp, and other accessories appropriate to the trip (ice axe, rope, harness, whatever) PLB?)

Note that I could probably start a fire, if conditions were appropriate. Although there was no water along the trail as far as I went, there was a fairly dependable source about 3/4 mile distant
along the trail.

So what do you carry on day hikes and why? What for longer trips?

#283380 - 01/16/17 06:45 PM Re: What should you carry and why? [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Hikermor's list is almost exactly like mine, with minor differences in brands and models maybe.

Yes, I can't count the number of people who I have helped who were hiking with little or nothing. I even carried a foreign woman tourist who was hiking a sandy trail in high heels! With no water, in 110+ degree F temperatures! I actually carried her out a mile and a half on my back because her feet were too torn up to walk.

Nothing can substitute for knowledge and experience. A little preparation goes a very long way.

The rule of threes has been discussed much before, but it is a good rule of thumb. You can survive bad conditions for about 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food. So pack with these priorities in mind.

Shelter
Water
Signaling
Fire

Signaling is a top priority along the entire continuum. Once you realize you need help, signal for it.

Food is not a top priority, but it can help physiologically and psychologically. The brain requires a great deal of energy and nutrients to function properly. As is taught to the scouts, once you realize you need help, Stop, Think, Observe, Plan (STOP). But it helps to sit down (once you are safe), drink some water and eat a little. It calms you down, feeds the brain, and helps you not make bad decisions, like running off in a bad direction.

I like ponchos, and I try to find ones that are brightly colored so they can be used for signaling. A shelter for shade or warmth is critical. A good rain suit will work well. You need a wind and water proof shelter to retain heat when it is cold, but a poncho can shade you in the heat as well.

Dressing for the weather and terrain is critical. Do not prepare for the expected temperatures, but for the extremes. That is what backpacks are for. I really like my light weight Smartwool base layer. It is surprisingly warm for the thickness and weight, and paired with a windproof/waterproof layer has kept me warm in temperatures well below freezing. Hat and gloves are also essential. In the heat, protection from the sun is also critical. There are many new styles and materials for this, and most of them work well enough. Long sleeves, pants, wide brimmed hat, and sunscreen. The sun can kill you. I even have a bright yellow umbrella from Sea To Summit that I carry at times, great shade that lets the air flow.

I also add a GPS, just to use the track back feature if needed.

#283382 - 01/16/17 07:55 PM Re: What should you carry and why? [Re: hikermor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
For a two-mile roundtrip, well-marked, well-travelled, popular trail as you describe -- in my region (DC, mid-Atlantic) -- the most important things I would carry are:

1) cell phone; 2) pepper spray

Out of habit and an abundance of caution, I'd probably take my hiking/bikejoring pack, which I use every weekend during fall-winter-spring and which presently includes: SOL survival poncho, AMK Heatsheet, blaze orange bandannas, first-aid kit, knife (currently Morakniv Garberg), titanium Sierra cup, "stormproof" matches, BIC lighter, firesteel/scraper, tinder, lip balm, small moleskine notebook, Sharpie marker, CCrane CC WX Pocket Radio, Petzl Zipka head/wrist lamp, compass (Suunto MC-2D), Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS, emergency (lightweight) dog slip-lead, 6' paracord. That pack also includes a couple breakfast bars.

Because I have incorporated "EDC" survival items into my routine, I'd have some important items simply by virtue of having my car key ring and house key lanyard with me, such as: firesteel, mini-prybar, small leatherman, Fox40 whistle, Fenix flashlight.

I've become of the opinion that on any outing beyond my side of town, I should be prepared to spend the night outdoors. So keeping dry, comfortable (warm during winter) and hydrated are my top priorities.

I always enjoy these discussions -- thanks, Hikermor.

#283383 - 01/16/17 08:16 PM Re: What should you carry and why? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My walk to the nearest grocery store (which has a bank/ATM inside) is about an hour round trip, mostly up/down-hill, very little flat. It's actually not a bad work-out if I keep the pace up. Normally I do that walk with pocket carry (wallet, cellphone, SAK and other small stuff), but could easily take my Camelbak Mule to carry water and other gear. The Mule has a relatively flat profile so some compromise is required. While the pack has a 100 oz bladder, I prefer to not use that for short walks and instead carry my 22 oz Ti bottle and/or a couple 1/2 liter plastic bottles and a .4 liter MSR Ti cup.

I won't be carrying the list that Hikermor carries, but as I type the CB Mule has a BM Griptilian folder, Bic lighter, FAK, spare socks, headlamp, water bottle, Ti cup and multi-tool. Next time I take that walk I'll carry the pack and see if there's a benefit besides being equipped. The pack could extend my walk considerably or it could just slow me down. That's the trade-off.

#283390 - 01/16/17 09:38 PM Re: What should you carry and why? [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys! I realized the other day that I've somehow ended up with three day hike kits, and they are all too heavy. I want to be well prepared but I'm too old to carry as much as I do - especially now that my kids are both old enough to carry at least some of their own stuff now. wink I'm working on purging and merging now and truly appreciate your wisdom!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283392 - 01/16/17 09:55 PM Re: What should you carry and why? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The trick is to carry enough of the right things to be useful, but not so much that the weight and bulk is an impediment. This of course will vary with the individual and with age (don't ask me how I know the latter). Knowledge and experience will go a long way toward extending
the usefulness of equipment. The ability to adapt and improvise is essential.

I am a hopeless gear head, and I enjoy tweaking my stuff, always happy to find something that is just a little bit better.

#283401 - 01/17/17 08:44 AM Re: What should you carry and why? [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

My most important things are:
- Proper clothing, to me the most important thing
- Sports tape to support a busted angle, so you can walk out
- Headlight in case you get caught in the dark
- Bivvybag incase you need to stay in place.
- Maps/compass so you don't get lost.

Being from Europe, the wildernes is never really that. Lost of markings and there always seems to be something manmade as a reference point somewhere.

#283402 - 01/17/17 02:31 PM Re: What should you carry and why? [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I bring a cell phone and gum.

Can call for help if needed and to have fresh breath when the searchers com.

#283406 - 01/17/17 05:10 PM Re: What should you carry and why? [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: clearwater
I bring a cell phone and gum.

Since childhood (Santa brought me my first 22 at age twelve)I have owned and used firearms, trained by my father, the military, and a law enforcement academy (burned lots of ammo!). To this day, I own what my darling spouse refers to as an "arsenal," highlighted by my "precious," my cherished S&W Mod 28 in 357 Magnum.

Unless I am hunting (rarely, these days) or involved in law enforcement (none of that anymore), I think packing a firearm is just useless weight. There are far more effective signalling, food procurement, and fire starting devices available.

On the one occasion when I thought i might use my 357 for "social work", it was a non-outdoors setting (a dark Texas highway) and inadvertent display of my piece ended the encounter.

For the equivalent weight, there are many more items which will prove far more useful, like a good FAK. Fortunately, it is still a relatively free country, so we can all carry what we feel will do the job.

#283407 - 01/17/17 05:52 PM Re: What should you carry and why? [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Well said.
Gum may be even less effective in signaling and food procurement than a firearm wink. However it might be better for "social work" and fresh breath.
OTOH a package of Hubba Bubba doesn´t weigh enough to be real burden. So why not bring it (unless you live in a country where it´s illegal)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 379 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.