The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#283367 - 01/16/17 01:55 PM AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm looking for water prep solutions. Has anyone used the AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS? What are your thoughts on this kit?

http://survivalresources.com/Products/Aqua_Pouch_Plus.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#283370 - 01/16/17 02:27 PM Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It is a good, pocket sized system for filtering and purifying your water. I highly recommend it for pocket kits.

#283371 - 01/16/17 02:34 PM Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would not recommend it. Save your money, although it isn't all that expensive.

Boiling is more effective, cheaper, and quicker (Note that they state a four hour processing time). I keep varieties of the various chemical treatments around, because you never know. But for years, boiled water has worked for me, and during that time I have imbibed some pretty nasty stuff, in a couple of cases,for prolonged periods.

#283372 - 01/16/17 02:38 PM Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm with Montanero -- I own one of these and it works as designed. Boiling is better if you have a vessel and fuel to boil with. A kit like this is a good thing to have especially for a pocket kit.

Edited by chaosmagnet (01/16/17 07:24 PM)
Edit Reason: Horrible typo

#283373 - 01/16/17 02:59 PM Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

As Hikermor says, boiling is better, but it is difficult to fit a pot in your pocket. The advantage of this is the form factor, it has a pre-filter to get out the larger solids, and it has a sturdy pouch to carry the water, and it has grommets to tie cord to that helps you carry it, and also has a flat bottom to help it stand. It is not the best method for purifying, nor is the container the best thing out there. It is the best option I have found that fits in your pocket.

Regardless of what equipment you use, straining or filtering helps ensure cleaner water (certainly more palatable) and removes obstacles to the effectiveness to the chemical treatments.

Boiling always works, but requires a container to cook in and a fire or stove.

Chemical methods work but you need to filter and carry the water.

One thing that is lacking from most commercially available, pocket survival kits, is a water container. This is a good size one that folds up and fits in your pocket, and comes with a complete kit. The cost is not high. I will include this in pocket or backpack kits. The good equipment you have with you is better than the perfect stuff that you don't have with you.

#283374 - 01/16/17 03:22 PM Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Nothing like a good heated conversation on a cool brisk morning. Since we are talking about this kit for inclusion in a survival kit, I would assume that the kit has the ability to produce flame, pretty much a fundamental prerequisite for survival situations.

I handle the "pot" situation by carrying a cup (GSI or Olicamp) that fits on the base of a Nalgene or energy drink container which is also fundamental to a survival kit (mine, anyway). ultralight titaniium cups are available if you wish to spend the money for very marginal weight savings.

The deal breaker for me is the four hour processing time. That would not be a problem is some situations, but if you come upon a water source in an arid situation, you are not going to wait that long - trust me.

Nor should you. The consequences of dehydration can be, and have been, quite deadly. Just go ahead and drink up. When you make it back to town, medical science is your friend and can get you straight again.

Back in the old days, I drank routinely from untreated sources, typically mountain streams and springs, never suffering any ill consequences. I would not do that today, if I have options.

#283375 - 01/16/17 04:12 PM Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I also ALWAYS carry at the very least a metal cup that fits over a Nalgene bottle. Yes, my kits ALWAYS carry fire starting supplies. All chemical purification methods have a wait time before the chemicals have had time to work against the impurities. If you have a pot and a fire, I would recommend boiling, after pre-filtering the water if you can.

The Aqua Pouch Plus just gives an option, and a backup, for a survival situation. Not everyone carries a metal cup or pot, and this kit fits very well in a pocket. Easy to carry and more likely to be with you when something bad happens.

I would also recommend a good filter pump or one of those gravity fed systems with a good filter. These are much more effective and quicker than a chemical method. They weigh more and take up more room, but if I am carrying a backpack, I have one. But I still have the Aqua pouch in my pocket.

I am prejudiced by my experiences, and I have been in some bad situations in the past. I have found that a reasonable redundancy in a critical system/need is a wise thing to have. Water is a critical need, and I have multiple methods for procurement and purification (boiling, filter, chemical). I do not recommend the Aqua Pouch as a primary method for water procurement and purification. It provides an additional option at little cost in money, space or weight.

I also carry redundancies in fire making, shelter and signaling. Knowledge combined with some new materials and devices allows for a light load in spite of redundancies. A minimum capability is kept on my body, my pack will carry more. One problem I have is that I am always with other people for whom I am responsible, so I carry more to ensure safety. While I do teach and prepare them for emergency situations, I am accustomed to relying on myself alone to ensure their safety.

This discussion of pros and cons of different methods is good, and can benefit anyone who reads these forums. That is how we learn.

#283376 - 01/16/17 04:57 PM Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I heartily agree with redundancies in critical survival gear, especially fire. This thread drift, so i am going to start a new thread, just to keep things organized around here.

Good discussion. Again +1 to this is how we learn...

#283395 - 01/17/17 03:58 AM Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

J-I, I've been making this same packet of AquaPouch, coffee filters , filter holder, and water purification tablets for many years. However, I add a Seychelles Abvanced Water Straw as my final step to obtain pure water. My area of activity is very urban , so the straw gives me some protection against chemical contaminants in water I'm processing. How much protection, I cannot say for sure. But its compact, light and inexpensive. I can take it in places where a big filter unit might generate unwanted questions/ attention.

#283398 - 01/17/17 07:03 AM Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have several of those; aside from testing them I haven't used them. But I like them. They're pretty sturdy and extremely compact. I agree they're not the best way to transport and sanitize water but one of them on your person beats a steel bottle left at home or back at base camp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.