Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#283029 - 12/15/16 02:24 PM Don'tdrink the water in Corpus Christi..
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/officia...ater/ar-AAlAD6W

An excellent reason to have a stockpile of reasonably clean H2O on hand. Some years ago we had a very localized, transient problem. The city employee giving us the news showed up with a small crate of bottled water, and I said "That's OK,we've got plenty." Problem resolved in about 24 hours.

Water is pretty fundamental, as any desert rat can tell you

#283030 - 12/15/16 02:52 PM Re: Don'tdrink the water in Corpus Christi.. [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Well that would suck. A complete shut-off (i.e. no boiling) would make it much more difficult if you weren't prepared.

Our neighbourhood water main usually blows a couple times a year, leaving us without water for a day or so. It's easy enough to deal with as long as you've got water stored for just such an occasion. Many of my neighbours haven't figured it out yet.

Sounds like this was completely unexpected and longer lasting.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283031 - 12/15/16 03:02 PM Re: Don'tdrink the water in Corpus Christi.. [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The city employee giving us the news showed up with a small crate of bottled water, and I said "That's OK,we've got plenty." Problem resolved in about 24 hours.

Wow, they send somebody over. The watermains here are pretty reliable, so very little is done in preparing the distribution of alternative drink water.

I think i once saw a report of the water company just put a few pallets a bottled water in a square. People practically hoarding that stuff there, leaving other with none.

#283034 - 12/16/16 11:12 PM Re: Don'tdrink the water in Corpus Christi.. [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
This won't likely be resolved quickly.

According to a water pollution scientist my wife works with, the pollution is poised to run thru the whole system from beginning to end and pollute the pipes for future water delivery and destroy the sewage plant function too.

I don't know if it is something that can be cleaned up or if they will have to replace the entire water delivery and sewage systems. It is an emulsified petroleum- IE doesn't separate from the water, kind of like using mustard in your salad dressing to help mix the oil and vinegar.

In the meantime it may mean not only having to import freshwater to drink, but to flush too.

-Just read more, sounds like it was about 24 gallons of stuff. Hopefully that small amount can be flushed thru without too much harm.

Edited by clearwater (12/16/16 11:31 PM)

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.