Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#254475 - 12/10/12 07:11 AM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: hikermor]
ChicagoCraig Offline

I carry an ACR SarLink View and a sat phone; its number is entered into the registration record for the PLB. The PLB registration record is updated with activity type and who else is in my party before the journey and removed upon return. The "view" portion of the SarLink View is a LCD screen which displays the GPS coordinates; I don't think the "view" is really needed as sar would have that information upon transmission so I look at it as a nice to have - can't hurt knowing GPS coordinates which could be useful if communicating on the sat phone. I purchased the SarLink View before the ResQLink was on the market.

#254476 - 12/10/12 01:04 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: ChicagoCraig]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: QuietStove
<snip> can't hurt knowing GPS coordinates which could be useful if communicating on the sat phone. <snip>

You did not mention which sat phone you were using, so this may not apply to you. Globalstar phones have a "hidden" menu that is only available while a call is in progress. It will provide you reasonably accurate coordinates using their satellite triangulation. Potentially useful if a GPS is not handy.

#254479 - 12/10/12 03:21 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
JohnN - Just curious - is the battery replaceable on your FastFind? Or do you just replace it every six years?

The current generation PLBs require them to be sent to a service center for battery replacement. Having said that, nobody is ever going to do that. New generations of PLBs are appearing every couple years. With each generation they get smaller, lighter and deliver better performance. Nobody is going to replace the battery after six years.

Doug - That makes perfect sense!

#254503 - 12/10/12 10:37 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: celler]
ChicagoCraig Offline

[quote="celler"][You did not mention which sat phone you were using/quote]

Iridium 9555 and I do not think it has a feature for GPS coordinates. I used GlobalStar years ago but switched to Iridium when GlobalStar was having service issues. Now that their second generation constellation is active I may have a look at them when i'm ready for my next sat phone. I believe the Iridium 9575 has a GPS tracking feature which looks interesting.

#254505 - 12/10/12 10:41 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: RNewcomb]
ChicagoCraig Offline

I found an interesting link on ResQLink battery replacement.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749245

I don't have enough information to know if changing the battery is a straight forward process for the technically inclined or if it is a matter of revenue generation for the PLB company. Or perhaps since it is a life saving device not letting consumers toy with battery replacement is a wise decision.

#254513 - 12/10/12 11:50 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: ChicagoCraig]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
<snip>I don't have enough information to know if changing the battery is a straight forward process for the technically inclined or if it is a matter of revenue generation for the PLB company. Or perhaps since it is a life saving device not letting consumers toy with battery replacement is a wise decision.

That looks like a proprietary battery pack custom made for ACR. You can find people that will replicate such things with the shrink wrap and all, but there's going to be some soldering involved. I seriously doubt you will find one ready made and ACR for sure won't sell it to you.

That said, I would do something like this for the rechargeable battery pack for my cordless drill. I would not do it for something involving life critical communications. I want to know the lithium batteries are fresh, I want some QC involved, and I would like it tested before its handed back to me. If it were an Ipod a cell phone with a permanent battery, the market would offer solutions cheaper than the manufacturer. But the life critical nature of this device and the litigation potential will likely leave the manufacturers as the only source.

#254515 - 12/11/12 12:20 AM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: celler]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Agree that ACR will not sell a battery pack for any of their PLBs. The 9V battery appears to be made up of Panasonic Lithium-manganese dioxide cells.

#254517 - 12/11/12 12:23 AM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: celler]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There are also seals to consider when opening up a PLB to change the batteries. At least for me, I want to know that the unit is sealed correctly, can be submerged and still functions 100% with the fresh batteries.

That said, the only time the battery will be used is when I consider my life to be on the line and at that point, the ResQLink is mission complete. ACR might want it for their "Wall of Fame" but I'll put it on mine and buy a new unit.

#254542 - 12/11/12 04:39 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I found an interesting link on ResQLink battery replacement.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749245

I don't have enough information to know if changing the battery is a straight forward process for the technically inclined or if it is a matter of revenue generation for the PLB company. Or perhaps since it is a life saving device not letting consumers toy with battery replacement is a wise decision.

Penny wise, Pound STUPID!
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#254548 - 12/11/12 06:26 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: hikermor]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
It would be interesting to know if the manufacturers even plan to do the battery replacement of your 6-10 year old unit. That would require them to keep spares (that have a shelf life), and the labor to open, replace, reseal the units. You could imagine it might make sense for them to simply send you a lower end current unit.

-john

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.