Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#282926 - 12/07/16 09:00 PM Truckers stranded in winter storm
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Interesting debate about a bunch of truckers currently stuck
on the side of the highway, for more than 25 hours after, it closed due to treacherous winter conditions. Rescuers can't get to them, and it sounds like many were completely unprepared for becoming stuck in a bad winter storm.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/truck-drivers-stuck-1.3885668

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#282930 - 12/08/16 12:12 AM Re: Truckers stranded in winter storm [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If I were driving in Canada during winter conditions, I would have the means to get along comfortably for at least 24 hours, if not longer, including food water, and some means of cooking. In fact, right now, with the stuff in my vehicle here in sunny southern California, I could easily get along for at least two days- food (some of which is non cook) water, alcohol stove, sleeping bag, and first aid gear. They are always in the vehicle.

Don't depend on anyone else to be there when you are inconvenienced. You are bound to be disappointed.

#282932 - 12/08/16 12:57 AM Re: Truckers stranded in winter storm [Re: bacpacjac]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Need to start spreading the word at truck stops about ETS.

I'm at the 38th parallel (WDC) and my car is packed for a mid-winter overnighter on the road. Surprised that truckers at the 49th parallel, in British Columbia, would not have provisions for a couple days and plenty of winter-appropriate clothes/gear.

Love these stranded-on-the-road discussions because they never fail to inspire me to equip my car even more thoroughly. Going grocery shopping Friday and will add car-food to the list.

#282933 - 12/08/16 02:53 AM Re: Truckers stranded in winter storm [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My car kit is designed around a worst-survivable-case of three days stuck in a snowbank. I might get bored, and not be all that comfortable, but I'd be warm, dry, hydrated and have something to eat.

#282934 - 12/08/16 03:21 AM Re: Truckers stranded in winter storm [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My truck kit has minimal cold weather gear because it's just not necessary here. That said, for road trips, I take an extra duffel bag which has blankets and other gear just for winter in the mountains.

It does not require high latitudes and an arctic blast to shut down roads. Even in SOCAL winter travel can get dicey. On a trip back from LV, I-15 at El Cajon Pass (el 4000') was closed due to wind, snow ice, wind ... played real havoc with the big rigs. We just pulled off and waited it out in a strip mall parking lot. It is so much better for your vehicle and your nerves. Pull over, get out a fleece blanket and catch a little needed rest. Way better than sitting in traffic that's not moving.

#282936 - 12/08/16 05:18 AM Re: Truckers stranded in winter storm [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Thanks Bacpac.

Seen that news story on CBC earlier today. Hard to invoke any sympathy for those truckers. These guys are putting in time on Canada's winter highways a lot more then us average citizens and they should know better and be prepared for winter driving conditions and stock at least the minimum basics for highway closures such as this.

On the other-hand, even Greyhound passengers caught in that same storm were complaining that they were stuck at a terminal while the highway was closed and frustrated that Greyhound did not offer them alternate train or airline tickets.

Both these news stories reflect a misguided sense of self-righteous entitlement in some people that seems to rear its ugly head, no matter if it is a minor highway closure such as this or other natural accidents and disasters.

John Lubbock

#282937 - 12/08/16 07:00 AM Re: Truckers stranded in winter storm [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hmm. The answer is yes and no. Cuts both ways.

The trucking business runs on razor thin margins. Closure of the Trans-Canada highway on a milk run like this is extremely rare. My impression is that the truckers (who are now in the hole based on official decisions) are mostly angry that the highway was closed at all. In their minds, they reserve the right to punch through until they were sure they couldn't.

I have seen some semi's in the ditch; but I have seen a lot punch through blizzard conditions where I wasn't ready to risk it any further. They have they weight to stick to the road, and they have the visibility (being higher up) to see past the snow blowing across the highway. Closure may have been necessary for the general public in dodgy cars with all season tires; the truckers got caught in that same blanket decision.

The CBC went out of its way to find interviewees who fit the hard-done-by-and-ignored-by-The-Man script. (I'm deeply saddened that an organization I once respected deeply has gone so utterly tabloid.)

Should they have had more gear? Extra food, clothing, and fuel? Sure. I certainly would. Especially punching into a blizzard, which was hardly an surprise event. I prefer to have options.

But on the other hand, it was a milk run. Routine. Not a quest for the North Pole.

#282938 - 12/08/16 02:35 PM Re: Truckers stranded in winter storm [Re: bacpacjac]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
The designated examiner who gave me my CDL road test stated that about 10% of truck drivers have the IQ of a moth.

Which makes the others look bad.

Same as just about anything you look at - the dumb ones get all the headlines.

#282939 - 12/08/16 04:00 PM Re: Truckers stranded in winter storm [Re: unimogbert]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
LOL The idea of traveling in the winter without emergency rations in my pick-up is a non-starter. Bad things can happen even on a short "milk run".

Hopefully this is a wake-up call to truckers that it is not the responsibility of LE (be they RCMP, CHP or any of the other highway patrol/public safety organizations) to ensure that peeps traveling the highways and by-ways are well fed. If that was the case, DOT would establish emergency ration requirements which would be inspected at every weigh station -- just what truckers need, additional regulations. Take a little responsibility for your own well being, check the weather and make contingency plans.

But I'm not DOT and some folks will only ever do the minimum requirements.

#282941 - 12/08/16 04:51 PM Re: Truckers stranded in winter storm [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
Bad things can happen even on a short "milk run".

... Take a little responsibility for your own well being, check the weather and make contingency plans.

Agree 100%.

The cold we're experiencing here on the Prairies is no joke. The forecast for tomorrow is -24 C with a wind, giving wind chill temperatures equivalent to -38 C. It's enough to take a life (link below); but even so, everyday life carries on. We don't shut down for a cold snap.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada...ep-the-prairies

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/08/16 04:52 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 323 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.