Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#282751 - 11/13/16 04:56 PM Modifying an Iodine Dropper?
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
Hello All,

I haven't posted in a long while here, but I am looking for some advice/suggestions. As I was rebuilding my PSK, as well as outfitting my two scouts with their own, I bought three bottles of Tincture of Iodine 2% for water purification at Walgreens or some other drug store. Its very hard to find Iodine nowadays, I guess.

As I was checking them out, I noticed that the cohesion dropper on these are now very poorly designed. They are no longer split at the tip allowing for solid drops to form. They are not just a stick that takes forever for a drop to form and darn near impossible to get into a water bottle for it to its job.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to modify it to create solid, faster drops? Any help is much appreciated!

Garrett

Attachments
IMG_6400.JPG (275 downloads)

Edited by garrett (11/13/16 05:07 PM)

#282752 - 11/13/16 05:37 PM Re: Modifying an Iodine Dropper? [Re: garrett]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I hope this doesn't sound too flippant, but I suggest you drop iodine completely. There are better ways, like boiling.

My bible for stuff like this is James Wilkerson's [/i]Medicine for Mountaineering[i], sixth edition. His discussion of the caveats, conditions, and contraindications of iodine and tincture of iodine takes up nearly two pages. Total disinfection requires more time than would be required for boiling, in addition to something to counteract the iodine taste (after allowing time for the temperature dependent process to work). He does state that tincture of Io would be useful in a major disaster where boiling might not be practicable.

I was interest to see, reading the section on iodine usage, that my sealed bottles of PotableAqua, carefully resting in my supplies, had now passed their best buy date (more than four years old) and were now undependable.

Personally, I have used boiling as my primary technique for many years in many situations involving clearly polluted water with no ill effects whatever. One of these episodes lasted for an entire month.

Wilkerson notes that the CDC and EPA recommend boiling for one minute. In his judgment (and my experience )bringing the water to a boil is adequate. Boiling temperature varies with altitude, but even on the summit of Everest, water boils at 165F, the temperature at which milk is pasteurized.

To actually answer your question, you can find dropper mechanisms with a rubber bulb and glass tube which you could carry separately, but, frankly, that is getting a simple process rather complicated. A lot of folks go to filtration these days, and it seems to work,but you are hauling around an extra bit of gear....

Edited by hikermor (11/13/16 10:38 PM)

#282754 - 11/13/16 08:03 PM Re: Modifying an Iodine Dropper? [Re: garrett]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Can't help with the dropper. Do be aware that any liquids can leak and cause issues with the rest of your kit. Especially something like iodine, which is pretty reactive.

#282755 - 11/13/16 09:37 PM Re: Modifying an Iodine Dropper? [Re: garrett]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Glad to have you posting again, garrett!

I agree with hikermor. Your primary disinfection technique, assuming fuel availability and the right container, should normally be boiling. If that won't work for you, I'd recommend a filter. The Sawyer Mini is inexpensive and effective when used properly (NB don't expose it to freezing temps after its been used, and it doesn't work against viruses).

If you need to use chemical disinfection I would strongly recommend chlorine dioxide tablets -- I carry them as a backup. Iodine doesn't take care of cryptosporidium, whereas chlorine dioxide will if used correctly.

My sense is that everyone posting in this thread so far knows this, so I'm repeating it for others who may be reading: Remember that disinfection techniques are used to kill microorganisms in otherwise uncontaminated water. Disinfection will not make water safe if its been contaminated by heavy metals, hydrocarbons, or other stuff.

Edited by chaosmagnet (11/13/16 09:37 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#282760 - 11/14/16 04:44 PM Re: Modifying an Iodine Dropper? [Re: Tjin]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: Tjin
Can't help with the dropper. Do be aware that any liquids can leak and cause issues with the rest of your kit. Especially something like iodine, which is pretty reactive.

I've stopped carrying bottled iodine after one leaked in my first aid kit and ruined everything inside. It was tightly sealed and wrapped in plastic wrap.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

...The Sawyer Mini is inexpensive and effective when used properly (NB don't expose it to freezing temps after its been used, and it doesn't work against viruses).

If you need to use chemical disinfection I would strongly recommend chlorine dioxide tablets -- I carry them as a backup. Iodine doesn't take care of cryptosporidium, whereas chlorine dioxide will if used correctly...

I agree with Choasmagnet on both points. Sawyer filters are easy to use and will treat a practically limitless supply of water as long as you back flush it occasionally. The Sawyer Squeeze has a faster flow rate for an ounce more weight.

As a backup, or if you are traveling to an area that you have to worry about viruses, than the chlorine dioxide tablets will treat more pathogens than iodine. I keep some in my PSK and my wallet. They take up little room and weigh almost nothing.

if you really prefer iodine for water purification than I would suggest carrying it in pill form for the reasons mentioned above.

I do carry some iodine pads for disinfecting wounds and you could also use them in a pinch by squeezing out drops into your water container. I've had a DEET pad develop a tear and ruin my first aid kit for a second time, lucky I guess frown , so I keep all strong pads in tiny Ziploc bags to protect my other gear.

Good luck with whatever method you decide to use.

#282763 - 11/15/16 07:30 PM Re: Modifying an Iodine Dropper? [Re: Quietly_Learning]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning
for an ounce more weight.

As a backup, or if you are traveling to an area that you have to worry about viruses, than the chlorine dioxide tablets will treat more pathogens than iodine. I keep some in my PSK and my wallet. They take up little room and weigh almost nothing.

if you really prefer iodine for water purification than I would suggest carrying it in pill form for the reasons mentioned above.

I do carry some iodine pads for disinfecting wounds and you could also use them in a pinch by squeezing out drops into your water container. I've had a DEET pad develop a tear and ruin my first aid kit for a second time, lucky I guess frown , so I keep all strong pads in tiny Ziploc bags to protect my other gear.

Good luck with whatever method you decide to use.

I keep a supply of chlorine dioxide in my emergency kit to treat suspect tap water. It's supposed to be more effective then iodine against crypto. Not to mention, iodine flavored water tastes horrible.

There's also the bleach solution recommended in various emergency management agencies (FEMA, CDC) manuals.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/emergency/09_202278-b_make_water_safe_flyer_508.pdf

https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-concentrated-regular-bleach/#Emergency-Water-Disinfection

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#282772 - 11/17/16 07:29 PM Re: Modifying an Iodine Dropper? [Re: garrett]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Not sure how old you Scouts are, or if this is for regular or emergency use, but...

In case of emergencies, my kids and I all have Frontier Water Filter Straws by Aquamira in our kits. They are small and easier for the kiddos - no leaking, no need for a fire, and no need to measure or time tabs/drops. Just put the two pieces together and drink hrough the straw. (We don't use them regularly, we use boiling and purification tablets for that.)

Here's a link for more info: http://www.aquamira.com/product/aquamira-frontier-straw-filter/

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#282885 - 12/03/16 10:05 PM Re: Modifying an Iodine Dropper? [Re: garrett]
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
thanks for all your replies. You have given me a lot to think about. I am Cody Lundin disciple, which is why I am a fan of iodine. I am more worried about being able to purify large amounts of water (multiple quarts to gallons), so a straw may not fit the bill.

I will take a look at the chlorine dioxide tablets as those sound like they might be the ticket!

Thanks!

Garrett

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.