Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 12 of 57 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#282686 - 11/01/16 12:27 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: Russ
I really prefer a universal type lug wrench such as this one on amazon.com. Nothing special about that particular lug wrench, they're fairly generic, but that design gives you much better control and power over the cheap one size POS lug wrenches that come in your car's kit.

If anyone is looking to purchase a 4 way lug wrench, make sure to get a 20" model as those little 14' models do not give a person a lot of leverage. Also depending on vehicle fenders (flare) and rims, the 14" wrench will put your hands and body too close to the vehicle body and if that wrench slips off the nut when you are prying to loosen it, your hands and knuckles can take a nasty ride into some hard steel. Not to mention what could also happen to your face and head being that close to the vehicle when the wrench slips.

Also, these wrenches are made separately in SAE and Metric sizes. However there are also a lot of hybrid wrenches on the market that are both SAE and metric combined which take a comprise fit on the different SAE and metric lug nut sizes. It is best to avoid those hybrid wrenches and determine which lug nuts your vehicle requires and purchase either the SAE or metric only.

Yep, you bet. I got the larger metric wrench (better leverage) -2015 Ford Escape. Canadian Tire had both sizes. Then I walked outside and ensured it fitted the vehicle before driving away from the parking lot. "My Mamma didn't raise no dummies!"

#282690 - 11/01/16 08:12 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Roarmeister]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Try a ~36"/1m long 1/2" drive cheap breaker bar w/ deep impact socket. The impact rating on the socket is important. I managed to split a normal deep socket at the corner with the bar using it on lug nuts put on with an impact wrench.

I always keep a little WD-40 in the kit as well. And a little trick I learned as a kid opening Mom's pickle jars -- by using sharp blows to vibrate the lug nut free. Why use excessive force when a little know-how and technique work better?

But that's not where I often have a problem, its the seal at the hub itself. In the past I have resorted to mule kicking the rim to release the seal. smile These little tricks come from experience, you won't find any of these tips in the Owners Manual.

A little coating of ceramic grease on the inner edge of the wheel that contacts the hub prevents that. It's the part of rusts a little and gets stuck to the hub. Don't apply grease on the flat surface, where the wheel touches the hub. It's not only the bolt holding the wheels, but also the friction of the surfaces on each other.

#282698 - 11/01/16 06:16 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Roarmeister]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
I always keep a little WD-40 in the kit as well. And a little trick I learned as a kid opening Mom's pickle jars -- by using sharp blows to vibrate the lug nut free. Why use excessive force when a little know-how and technique work better?

But that's not where I often have a problem, its the seal at the hub itself. In the past I have resorted to mule kicking the rim to release the seal. smile These little tricks come from experience, you won't find any of these tips in the Owners Manual.

I learned the same trick for breaking loose frozen machine screws. Place the driver in the screw and give the back of the driver a couple of medium hard whacks with a hammer.

As for the little centering ring on the back of the hub freezing to the axle (I'm assuming it's metal). Have you looked at anti-seize compounds?

My problem has always been breaking loose the lug nuts after the shop tightened them with a impact wrench! I usually end up bouncing up and down on the end of the lug wrench. My next automotive purchase will be a 2 ft breaker bar or telescoping lug wrench. The spare tire is 28" diameter, so I should be able to store the wrench in with it.

FWIW, I have a cheap click type torque wrench from Harbor Freight with deep sockets that I purchased years ago. For torqueing the occasional critical nut and bolt (trailer hitches, lug nuts, serpentine belt tensioner), it's been worth more than what I paid for it.

Edited by Mark_R (11/01/16 06:20 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#282709 - 11/03/16 02:53 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Mark_R]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I usually end up bouncing up and down on the end of the lug wrench.

BTDT on a motorhome. The lug wrench that came with it was a two piece affair that went together similar to one of the four way wrenches. End result was bent the wrench and called road service to send a truck with an impact wrench. We added an electric impact wrench to the tool bay when we got back from the trip.

#282724 - 11/04/16 11:22 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: UTAlumnus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Today, ordered a case of M855 ammunition. To stay prepared, you've got to keep your finger on the pulse of politics and product cost/availability, and buy when the time is right. I judged today to be the right time for M855.

#282725 - 11/05/16 02:06 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I teach, train, practice and compete. I buy ammo when it's inexpensive and available, not when I need it.

#282739 - 11/08/16 01:22 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Teslinhiker]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
...the 14" wrench will put your hands and body too close to the vehicle body and if that wrench slips off the nut when you are prying to loosen it, your hands and knuckles can take a nasty ride into some hard steel...

I always seem to end up bloody, no matter what. I told nephew1 that the first thing I do, when I have to work on the truck, is raise the hood, lay my left hand on the fender, and give it a good enough whack with a wrench, to draw blood. THAT'S my sacrifice to the gods. Sometimes it works, perhaps only enough to keep in the forefront: "Jeez, I don't want to do that again, today."

#282741 - 11/09/16 07:59 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: UncleGoo]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
...the 14" wrench will put your hands and body too close to the vehicle body and if that wrench slips off the nut when you are prying to loosen it, your hands and knuckles can take a nasty ride into some hard steel...

I always seem to end up bloody, no matter what. I told nephew1 that the first thing I do, when I have to work on the truck, is raise the hood, lay my left hand on the fender, and give it a good enough whack with a wrench, to draw blood. THAT'S my sacrifice to the gods. Sometimes it works, perhaps only enough to keep in the forefront: "Jeez, I don't want to do that again, today."

Mechanix makes a pair of gloves with soft rubber along the back of the fingers and knuckles. Dexterity, while not as good as single use nitrile gloves, is still surprisingly good for the amount of protection it offers.

http://www.mechanix.com/automotive/m-pact

****************************************************************************************
In other news: started passport applications for the wife and kids and got serious about my diet.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#282785 - 11/21/16 09:43 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

upgraded the maps in my GPS, and bought a new 30 l backpack

#282789 - 11/21/16 09:54 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We had our first snowfall today, accompanied by a pretty wicked wind.

No snowbrush or scraper in the car. frown That's now corrected, along with adding a grain shovel, deep freeze washer fluid and some kitty litter.

Switched out my day pack for a larger one, and went through all the contents. Changed all the batteries, charged everything, checked all the liquids/expiry dates/packaging/etc. Also added some more warm weather gear, a little more cordage, campfire cooking stuff including a bigger pot for melting snow, and a beefer fire kit.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 12 of 57 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.