Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#282544 - 10/18/16 07:29 PM Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better [Re: bacpacjac]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Found one - - - https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-691D-Porcelain-Mortar-Pestle/dp/B000P4SCQ0

Pretty small - 2.5 inch diameter, 1.5 inches tall.

Edited by MoBOB (10/18/16 07:29 PM)

#282545 - 10/18/16 07:31 PM Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better [Re: bacpacjac]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
So, if you carry an M&P with you in your backpack, do you go from being a camp cook to a camp chef?

#282546 - 10/18/16 07:58 PM Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better [Re: MoBOB]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Nice, the one I ordered is stainless steel, both mortar & pestle. Things break around here and SS is recommended wink

#282547 - 10/18/16 08:34 PM Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better [Re: MoBOB]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
I wasn't implying that you carry an M&P, but I suppose that there must be a way to improvise. Mine is a marble one; not very portable. I may just look around and see what could be small enough for the palm of the hand.

I've got a marble one at home, along with a wooden one, but a you say, they're too big for the field unless car camping. A palm-sized version would be cool!

I think it's a brilliant idea to improvise one, MoBOB. I never really thought of it until you posted earlier. I use rocks all the time to crack open black walnuts and hazel nuts. I don't know why I never thought of using the same process for whole spices. DOH!

I had a similar thought about finding a tiny micro grater. Freshly grated cheese, nutmeg, garlic.... I'm going to end up with my old backpack again if I'm not careful. LOL! Perhaps I'll save this idea for serious camp cooking trips. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#282548 - 10/18/16 10:07 PM Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better [Re: MoBOB]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
So, if you carry an M&P with you in your backpack, do you go from being a camp cook to a camp chef?

AHAH! Maybe that's the ticket! I dropped some bacon on the fire a couple of winters ago so lost my camp chef status and nearly my camp cook designation as well. Of course the idea of sitting around the fire while they cook for me is very appealing - once they learn what they're doing. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#282550 - 10/18/16 10:41 PM Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better [Re: MoBOB]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA

My favorite pistols are the Smith & Wesson M&P series. So I've had a little bit of cognitive dissonance from this discussion. Carry on.

#282551 - 10/18/16 11:20 PM Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
MRE heaters might be worth checking out, Jeanette Isabelle. I've never used them but they look pretty easy to use and tailored to MREs. I believe you just need water and the MRE packaging. I'm not sure if MREs have decaf coffee but I imagine you could use a non-MRE coffee the same as you would the the coffee that comes in the kit.

MRE heaters are included; do they get water hot enough to make coffee?

Jeanette Isabelle

#282552 - 10/18/16 11:28 PM Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
MRE heaters are included; do they get water hot enough to make coffee?

Instant coffee? The word on that is "yes." Brewed coffee? A resounding no.

#282553 - 10/18/16 11:32 PM Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I just saw this, Jeanette Isabelle, and thought you might find it interesting. Coffee in a Bag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clNUwdRqiIs

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw those online; I did not know they were that big.

I've used the following in the past when I needed decaffeinated coffee away from home.

http://www.minimus.biz/Folgers-Decaf-Coffee-Singles-F20-1207602-1100.aspx

Jeanette Isabelle

#282554 - 10/18/16 11:34 PM Re: Making Your Pack Food Taste Better [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Instant coffee? The word on that is "yes." Brewed coffee? A resounding no.

Thanks. I'll add instant decaffeinated coffee to the emergency kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.