The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#282259 - 09/27/16 03:43 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Update: Working with my mom [she has done some things without my knowledge, in areas I actually know something], we are prepared in perhaps almost every critical area. The critical area I'm short in is prescription medications. The fiascos associated with finding and keeping a psychiatrist in a small town has eaten up my reserves. The good news is I am in the process of getting off of Clonazepam, a controlled medication for treating anxiety. I'm glad I am doing this now, gradually and slowly. I was taking 2 MG a day. If I am having the trouble I am now going from 1.25 MG a day to 1 MG a day, I would hate to see the hell I would go through if I suddenly went from 2 MG to zero in one day.

Jeanette Isabelle

#282267 - 09/28/16 04:40 AM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Are they scripts that you can get a three month supply of?

I realize, depending on cost, and type of meds that may not be possible.

I'm on five diabetic meds and with the insurance we just switched from, there was no copay after out of pocket was met, and since there were no controlled meds, it was easy for me to do.

A lot less work than what you're doing, but congrats on getting it done!

#282273 - 09/28/16 03:59 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Ors]
Carpal Tunnel

Even Mirtazapine, a non-controlled psychiatric medication, has always been a one-month supply. Whereas the last time a primary care doctor prescribed an inhaler, he gave me three. I don't need three. I only need one . . . which I always have on me . . . just in case.

Jeanette Isabelle

#282280 - 09/29/16 05:38 AM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

+1 per Doug & others as to getting the shingles vaccine in you late 50s - early 60s. Same with pneumonia as per Les' post. After you get one pneumonia shot, get the Previnar shot, as soon as a Doc allows. It broadens the range of pneumonia prevention. Don't forget to get a DPT booster, albeit they call it something else now. Same re flu vaccine , but I recently read that seniors may want to wait until Oct.-Nov. to get the flu shot to insure best immunity during the worst of the flu season. Check with a doctor on this issue. If you travel or like raw seafood, get the Type A & B hepatitis vaccine, as well.

I learned the Hep vaccine lesson the hard way, from a bad raw clam. Almost did me in as result of getting a secondary bacterial infection from being compromised by the Type A Hep infection. Can you say 106.5 fever spikes for ~10 days, a 25lb. weight loss I didn't need and a reduced work schedule for about 6 weeks, because I was "shot" by 2:30pm.

Lastly, if you have kids, who might become sexually active ( yes, entertain the possibility from about age 10), make sure they get the HPV vaccine. Prevention is not an invitation to promiscuity no matter what some zealot may tell you. Same re safe sex education.

Edit/Addition: I think that if I lived in a flood prone area, especially if it's a warm climate, I'd talk to my Doc about getting the Typhus & Typhoid vaccinations.

Edited by acropolis5 (09/29/16 05:43 AM)

#282428 - 10/10/16 10:43 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Make reminder notes on your phone's calendar app - helps

#284878 - 07/06/17 01:15 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Update: During the last visit, my doctor gave me 90 tablets of Lorazepam, that will last me a year and a half (on average I need a rescue pill once a week), and 180 1 MG tablets of Clonazepam. I need 0.5 MG of Clonazepam. Therefore the bottle of 180 will last me a year. Having this reserve is good because I'm anticipating trouble later this year.

My other doctor is still prescribing Mirtazapine at 30 tablets a month. Therefore I am likely to run out in two months at best if the trouble hits. The good news from the second doctor is, according to him, my issue of being in a car is claustrophobia, not anxiety. He gave me medication for claustrophobia. Let's see how that works.

Jeanette Isabelle

#284883 - 07/07/17 03:35 AM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JI... check with your doctor and pharmacist... I believe the State of Florida allows a double prescription fill during hurricane season

#284890 - 07/07/17 06:17 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
Carpal Tunnel

First, my doctor gives me a year's supply of Clonazepam and a year and a half's supply Lorazepam. Today, somehow, the pharmacy gives my mom an additional four-month supply of a medication she takes.

I don't know what you believe; it's like YHWH is helping us to prepare.

Edit: The pharmacy didn't provide my mom additional medication, they mislabeled the bottles. My mom was given three bottles. One was labeled thirty tablets. Each of the other two bottles was labeled ninety tablets. However, every bottle had only thirty tablets.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (07/08/17 12:26 AM)

#284904 - 07/08/17 08:16 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
I have found a way to build a backup supply of prescription meds. My insurance will allow refills up to 7 days in advance before the last prescription runs out. I don't know if all insurance plans allow this.

You have to be meticulous about refilling all your meds right on the 7th day previous (i.e. refills every 3 weeks). After doing this four times, you will have a one month backup supply which seems like a reasonable amount.

"Sounds like a plan, Stan". I only have 2 meds and missing them is hardly life threatening. I take them to avoid the uric acid crystals building up in my feet and knees. The prescription is only enough for 1 month so if I refill a little early I could possibly build up a backup supply in case of unexpected interruption. Thanks for the tip.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.