Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'm not aware of people who can't make decision for themselves and want the government to make it for them. I do know people who don't think others make good decisions, and they get the government to set rules for everybody.

That's a much better way of describing what I was intending. I spoke inaccurately, and did not correctly put my thoughts into words. I should have said having the government make decisions "for others". There are many many people like that, who try to force their ideas on everyone else, and use the government to enforce that. But there ARE people who will sit back and let the government tell them what to do, because they think the government is always right, simply because they are "the government". While I did have this smaller group of "tell me what to do" people in the back of my mind, that's not what I really intended to comment on, but I guess my brain got confused and that's the tangent I went off on.

Quote:
How are these examples of people not being able to decide for themselves and wanting the government to decide everything for me?

These last examples weren't intended to be an example of that. The thread has moved on a bit, and the current discussion has more to do with people not being smart and putting themselves and rescuers in danger by their actions. These were intended to be examples of this later direction of the thread, not where the thread was many posts back. Sorry if I created confusion about that. It was clear in my mind what I meant (which isn't saying much, since my mind is probably defective!)