Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#282318 - 10/04/16 02:10 PM Re: Poncho shelter practice [Re: unimogbert]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

A poncho can be used as your primary shelter and rain gear, but it is not the BEST solution. It is versatile piece of gear, but specialized gear is better. In the Army, we did not move around wearing a poncho, it is not "tactical". We got wet, and you could wear the poncho when stationary. I think I used it more to cover my gear than to cover me. So I did not bust brush wearing a poncho, and as AKSAR says, that would be difficult, and noisy. We did not even wear rain jackets or pants when moving tactically. You got wet, it was uncomfortable, and you dried out later, if possible. Only in more extreme winter conditions did you wear more and try to stay dry, because your life depended on it in those conditions. The coldest I have ever been was actually in the mountains in Latin America, in the rain and with a high temperature of about 40 degrees F. in a tactical situation. Once I could, I wrapped in a poncho and poncho liner and buried myself in grass and leaves. I did not die of hypothermia, but I was not cozy either.

A poncho works for times when you have to choose one piece of gear to perform the functions of rain protection and shelter. It is also a decent ground sheet. I recommend a poncho as a part of a basic kit for a day hike, backpacking in general and especially for kids. A brightly colored poncho is good shelter, weather protection and makes them more visible. Psychologically it helps to keep them in one place and together as they like to put more than one kid under the poncho.

When tying off the hood to make a shelter (or poncho hooch in the military slang), I would pull the draw string tight, twist the hood and then fold it over. Use the draw string to wrap tightly around the folded portion, and I would use a simple half hitch to secure it as that comes out easily. The draw string also serves as place to tie a cord to to pull the center out a bit to make it more stable and not collect water in a depression around the hood. Without trees around, you need poles to set up a poncho hooch, which would make me lean toward carrying a small tent as well. The tent for me and the poncho for my gear.

You can use small S-Biners or some such device that is easily removable to attach the cord to the grommets. It would be difficult to walk with those cords hanging all over the place, and they will not stay tied when walking through the brush. I used to use a simple bowline, but that can be a little difficult to untie in some circumstances.

#282323 - 10/05/16 01:04 AM Re: Poncho shelter practice [Re: gonewiththewind]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks for the advice. I hope to put it to use before the snow flies (which unfortunately might be tomorrow!)

#282342 - 10/05/16 07:57 PM Re: Poncho shelter practice [Re: unimogbert]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

can you add a bit of fabric to each end?

#282787 - 11/21/16 09:45 PM Re: Poncho shelter practice [Re: unimogbert]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Related: What is the best size foe a lightweight tarp? ( for cooking under and shelter) 9" 12"?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.