The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#282072 - 09/07/16 11:53 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
UPDATE: I had my mini peanut lighter sitting for about 2.5 years with the o-ring I described above. I opened it up, and it lit up like I just put the fuel in there.

#282077 - 09/08/16 01:01 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: ireckon]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon
UPDATE: I had my mini peanut lighter sitting for about 2.5 years with the o-ring I described above. I opened it up, and it lit up like I just put the fuel in there.

Thanks for the update, ireckon. I've started to see peanut lighters around here over the past year. I've wondered about their utility for a non-smoker like me. Refueling seems like more trouble than it's worth when my trusty BICs have been so dependable.

Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Originally Posted By: benjammin
The peanut lighters are great, but I keep losing mine.
Some models can be a bit small and fiddly. Small is great for EDC if you are a non-smoker, but fiddly is hard to use, especially if your hands are cold enough to destroy much of your manual dexterity, and if you can only use your left hand because your right hand got broken by the emergency that got you into this mess.

^^This. I love my mini BICs but most of my campfires happen once old man winter arrives. When it gets really cold and my fingers lose their dexterity, it can be a challenge to work the little things. My old reliables are a regular BIC, my Ronson Jetlite and, if it's really bad weather, storm-proof matches.

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
>
At the moment Poundland in the UK are selling lighters with built in lights (and now they stay on constantly) at 3 for a pound. qjs

I picked up a few cheapo lighters with built-in LEDs a couple of years ago and really liked them. They seemed to work as well as a regular BIC and the LEDs outlasted the fuel even with frequent use. On the downside, they were more fragile than BICs and the fuel seemed to disappear quicker than in a regular BIC. On the flip side though, they were cheaper than BICs and the ones I bought had a clear body so I could see the fuel level and adjust accordingly. The fuel level was also higly adjustable. All that said, when it was time to buy new ones I went back to BICs and Ronson Jetlites.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#282078 - 09/08/16 01:32 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And BTW - get thread to resurrect. I've been reading this thread and the links contained within for over an hour now! LOL! I've also stopped reading and checked all the lighters in all my kits to make sure they are still fueled. wink Thanks gang!!

#282083 - 09/08/16 04:50 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Mini Bic is still my favorite lighter. But the mini Peanut is better for EDC on my keychain. I feel confident to put it there and forget about it.

#282086 - 09/08/16 05:37 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Has anybody played with metal matches / permanent matches?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#282088 - 09/08/16 06:09 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Has anybody played with metal matches / permanent matches?

Haha! I've had one of those for years, Mark, but never knew how to use it until today! I got it in a package of tinder I bought but there were no directions included, so I just put it on a shelf. After reading your message, I Googled and found this:

I'm going to dig mine out and give it a try. Not so crazy abut needing to add fuel but we'll see.

THANKS!!

#282089 - 09/08/16 06:09 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Mark_R]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
They work fairly good but they are not permanent. As long as the wick is moist it does not burn off much. A dry wick burns away. That limits the time you can use the flame. Most of them evaporate the lighter fluid quickly. Neither the ferro rod nor the wick are replaced easily (not designed for replacing).
I would prefer the peanut lighter where the wick and flint can be replaced and refilling id fairly easy.

#282090 - 09/08/16 06:29 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Here is a visual comparison of the mini Bic and the mini Peanut. Again, I like the mini Bic better, but the mini Peanut stays on my keychain.

#282091 - 09/08/16 06:30 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: ireckon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If anyone here is asking themselves what are "peanut" lighters and where can I get one -- CountyComm's Fire page has three different size Peanut lighters in stainless steel, titanium, anodized aluminum, brass and copper -- not necessarily all metals in all sizes. Brass and copper look great and are very traditional, anodized aluminum are great for EDC because they're relatively light, titanium is light & tough, stainless is simply durable. "Better" is a relative term.

As for size, I prefer the standard size Peanut lighter. The smaller "split" pea is too small to hold if you are cold and in need of fire "right now". With the XL you might consider a Zippo (except for that Zippo leakage issue discussed above). The XL kinda conflicts with the peanut term. But that's just my opinion.

Extra O-rings and flints are available in the service pack.

No affiliation other than as a customer.

#282105 - 09/11/16 03:33 AM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I just tested some cheap peanut lighters that I got off of Ebay for a few dollars. They were also sitting around for about 2.5 years. They lit up just as good as the mini peanut lighter I bought from County Comm, and they have low quality O-rings on them. So, go figure. The peanut lighter design, in general, is just a winner I guess.

The only difference, as far as I can see, is the cheap shell of the lighters from Ebay. They look like some sort of cheap alloy that will bend if you step on it really hard. In contrast, the stainless steel shell from County Comm can allegedly handle a fire truck driven over it. I have not tested that, but the County Comm stainless steel shells are obviously higher quality. To me, the twelve dollars extra is worth the better shell. After all, the main reason I have this lighter is to have a bomb proof fire starter on my key chain.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 468 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.