The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#281922 - 08/30/16 09:35 PM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: haertig]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: haertig
I wonder, are fixed blade knives a problem in NY too? They're kind of the culmination of "fast opening and locking". They're always open and locked.

Under 4 inches and carried fully concealed is legal
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#281924 - 08/30/16 11:11 PM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
My plan is to carry an LM Rebar, concealed in a pocket. I don't like doing without an OHO blade but I also don't want to have any run-ins with NYPD. Fortunately it will be a brief visit.

Unfortunately, the Rebar blades do lock. I would either take the precaution of popping off the locking bars, or going with something that doesn't lock.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'm not a lawyer, this is what I looked up. Apparently carrying a "dirk, dagger or stiletto" carries with it the rebuttable presumption that one intended to use it unlawfully against a person. I haven't found definitions of "dirk, dagger or stiletto" that are sufficiently clear to me to indicate that any fixed knife I own isn't one of those under NYC law. I suspect that I could win in court if I were ticketed or arrested for carrying a small fixie, but I sure as heck don't want to find out.

dirk, dagger or stiletto has commonly been accepted to mean fixed blade knives. IIRC, modified to cut or stab, i.e. sharpened screwdriver, also falls under this definition.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281927 - 08/30/16 11:52 PM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
It has to be both OHO and locking to be in violation of their (incorrect, IMO) interpretation of the gravity knife law.

#281929 - 08/31/16 03:13 AM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: Mark_R]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Unfortunately, the Rebar blades do lock. I would either take the precaution of popping off the locking bars, or going with something that doesn't lock.

While they lock, I believe they also open to the inside (you have to unfold the handles before you can deploy the blade). This is in contrast to tools like the Wave, where the blades open to the outside.

#281937 - 08/31/16 05:01 PM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: haertig]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

While they lock, I believe they also open to the inside (you have to unfold the handles before you can deploy the blade). This is in contrast to tools like the Wave, where the blades open to the outside.

Correct. Unlikely a Rebar would create any issues, BUT, do NOT carry in a pouch as that is technically not concealed!
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#281941 - 08/31/16 06:54 PM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

Correct. Unlikely a Rebar would create any issues, BUT, do NOT carry in a pouch as that is technically not concealed!

I hadn't thought of that. A mechanical end-run around a legal end-run. I suppose the same logic of additional steps could also apply to Gerber MP and SOG PowerPlier series of multitools.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281944 - 08/31/16 07:45 PM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
How about the classic, original Leatherman PST - inside opening and non-locking. Mine served capably for years...

#281959 - 09/01/16 03:50 AM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

I guess you really need to know the laws. I shudder to think that the stuff I carry every day here in Colorado would land me in prison for a decade or more in some other jurisdiction. New York, Chicago, Washington D.C., New Jersey, California. It's a bit sad that we've ended up like this. It definitely DOES affect where I am willing to travel to. And I always re-familiarize myself with the laws before traveling anywhere, even to places I've known to be OK in the past. Some places I just won't travel too, period. Not for business, not for pleasure. It's just not worth the potential trouble.

I mean, what do you do if you're flying with a legally declared handgun in a legal lockbox in your checked luggage, from friendly place A to friendly place B. But due to weather or mechanical issues, you plane is diverted and forced to land in New Jersey, where you have to deplane, collect your checked luggage, and spend the night. You are so screwed. Might as well just head on over to the prison and check yourself in. It looks like knife laws will get you into similar trouble as well.

#281960 - 09/01/16 04:26 AM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: haertig]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I mean, what do you do if you're flying with a legally declared handgun in a legal lockbox in your checked luggage, from friendly place A to friendly place B. But due to weather or mechanical issues, you plane is diverted and forced to land in New Jersey, where you have to deplane, collect your checked luggage, and spend the night.

According to a class taught by an attorney on such matters, refuse to accept the firearm. Tell the airline it's their responsibility. I am guessing there is a good chance you may not get your handgun back, but that's better than prison. I am not a lawyer, so take my advice at your own risk.

#281971 - 09/01/16 11:54 PM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Bingley
According to a class taught by an attorney on such matters, refuse to accept the firearm. Tell the airline it's their responsibility.

How do you do that? There's no special handling of firearms after you declare and check them. There are no markings on the outside of your luggage telling what they contain. It's totally stealth after your initial declare, special screening and hand-over. After that part, your bags are re-mixed in with everybody elses luggage. Your bags fulls of guns just roll out on the baggage delivery carousels like every other piece of luggage. That's why you move from your plane to baggage pick-up ASAP, so you can be there right when yours comes out so nobody else can grab it first. There's nobody to refuse to.

You'd think an attorney teaching a class on such matters would at least know how the process works. But apparently not.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.