Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 44 of 57 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#299907 - 09/04/21 05:51 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
paulr Offline
Addict

If you want to go that approach, you may want to add magnesium and melatonin, and bump up the D3 with additional supplements if you don't get outside much. Seriously though, the vaccine has side effects, but the effects of covid are much worse and the likelihood of getting it is high enough that if you are around other humans a lot, it is a big win. I have much more peace of mind after getting it.

Edited by paulr (09/04/21 05:52 PM)

#299909 - 09/04/21 06:49 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The Immune Plus contains 13% Magnesium, but another supplement I take has much more.

Are you sure about melatonin? That does not sound right.

A year ago last spring, I received a vaccine for something else. Since then, I've had a problem with allergies and other issues. For that reason, I'm leery of the COVID vaccine.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299917 - 09/05/21 04:14 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
paulr Offline
Addict

Yes Melatonin is supposed to help with both treatment and prevention of covid. I don't remember where I first heard that, but I've been taking a supplement most nights, which also helps me get to sleep, always a good thing too. Here are a bunch of reddit posts, output of a search so some will be better than others:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/search?q=melatonin&restrict_sr=on

Another thing, I recommend an N95 respirator (not a cloth or surgical mask) when out in public. They make a big difference in decreasing virus exposure. There was a big shortage of them earlier but they are plentiful now, just a little more expensive than before. safetyemporium.com and wellbefore.com both have selections.

Edited by paulr (09/05/21 04:17 AM)

#299921 - 09/05/21 05:41 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
The Immune Plus contains 13% Magnesium, but another supplement I take has much more.

Are you sure about melatonin? That does not sound right.

A year ago last spring, I received a vaccine for something else. Since then, I've had a problem with allergies and other issues. For that reason, I'm leery of the COVID vaccine.

Jeanette Isabelle

I always have allergies. It finally connected in my head to wear my mask while doing things like mowing so cut down on the amount of crap I was inhaling and it helped a bit.

#299926 - 09/05/21 10:06 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Many people sleep more easily and/or more soundly when they take melatonin. Improved sleep has a positive benefit on the immune system.

#299964 - 09/08/21 05:33 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Improved sleep has a positive benefit on the immune system.

+1

A few weeks ago, I was not feeling well. Irregular heart beat, constant anxiety, constant tiredness, the whole list. I needed sleep but couldn't sleep much. Finally I decided to just drop in bed and shut down. I got more sleep, and yes, I started to feel better.

I heard a few things about Melatonin and was tempted to buy a bottle. But I am not a pill lover and try to avoid meds if possible.

Realizing this is a friendly chat board and not a medical expert board, I like to ask about melatonin. Does it have any negative side effects ? Will it be of more help than harm for a 65 year old self-stressed coffee junkie ?

#299965 - 09/08/21 05:47 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Regarding the original post

Tomorrow I am going to my home town, to my dad's house where I have a room. I am going to carry a few items to leave there in order to beef up the preps/tools/util items

So, I am taking and leaving there :
- A single blade folder, a double blade folder, a multitool
- A chest of 5 plastic drawers (to organize supplies there, one drawer per category : first aid, office supplies, utility items..etc.

The contents (like first aid kits, duct tape rolls, bunjee cords ..etc.) will be transported later as construction project starts.

That room has to support me in all situations, like if something goes wrong in the construction project, or if I go there for a couple of days and the weather decides to imprison me for a week.

#299967 - 09/09/21 12:08 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Chisel
[quote=chaosmagnet]Realizing this is a friendly chat board and not a medical expert board, I like to ask about melatonin. Does it have any negative side effects ? Will it be of more help than harm for a 65 year old self-stressed coffee junkie ?

It’s a supplement, widely available, and many in my family have used it or are using it now.

Vivid dreaming is a common side effect, I’m told. I’ve only taken melatonin about two times, but I experienced it both times.

Not being a medical professional and not knowing your health history, I suggest that you bring it up with your doctor before trying it.

#299968 - 09/09/21 02:05 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
my GP recommended a nasal lavage when I started showing symptoms of allergies 5-6 years ago...rather than a Nettie pot which is like water boarding yourself, I use a squeeze bottle and my head up right..

I warm distilled water (don't know the accuracy of a report of parasite that are not destroyed by city water process, but distilled water is cheap)... to which I mix with 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, and 3x 1/4 teaspoon of canning and pickeling salt that does not have any anti-caking agent... has done wonders, as I've spent a lot of the last year, outdoor in the yard reading under a camphor tree

#299970 - 09/09/21 06:54 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I too got some cheap AAA LED flashlights (at Lowes for about $5ea). I have a number of these scattered about the house, including one on each nightstand. I use rechargeable AAA batteries. Yes, they are cheaply made but surprisingly bright and cheap enough you can buy a bunch of them.

Of course, I also have more expensive flashlights that are brighter and waterproof.

Page 44 of 57 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.