Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#282074 - 09/08/16 12:40 AM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The Washington, DC law doesn't apply to people passing through:
Originally Posted By: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation
the certificate requirement for possession of firearms and ammunition does not apply to non-residents who are “participating in any lawful recreational firearm-related activity within the District, or on [their] way to or from such activity in another jurisdiction.” To qualify for this exception, a person must, upon demand of a law enforcement officer, “exhibit proof that he is on his way to or from such activity” and that the person’s possession of the firearm is lawful in the person’s place of residence.

The exception here may be a bit squishy-sounding but if you're diverted to a DC airport you're either in Virginia (DCA and IAD) or Maryland (BWI), so the DC law wouldn't apply to you anyway.

The FOID law in Illinois has a big exception that applies to air travelers:
Originally Posted By: (430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)
(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
(9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;

Another Google search reveals that flying into and out of Chicago airports with declared firearms in checked baggage is a non-issue.

I was imprecise earlier in that I didn't exclude international destinations; I meant only US airports.

#282075 - 09/08/16 04:02 AM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
The Washington, DC law doesn't apply to people passing through...

Still, you have to wonder if that's really true when you read stories like this:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/warnin...article/2535216

I continue to believe that going anywhere near a firearm-hating state (district) with a firearm in your possession is just asking for trouble. That includes accidentally getting diverted there when you actually had zero intention of setting foot in the place.

What is that cop saying I've heard, "You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride". Something like that. Alluding to the situation where you may ultimately escape legal penalty, but only after enduring much inconvenience, wasted time, confiscated possessions, lost job, jail time, lost money for legal representation, etc.

This thread has diverged from the initial question regarding knives to firearms. But I think the discussion is still very relevant. Often times, once a place goes after guns hog wild, and finds that in the end that doesn't really help anything, then they go after knives. A fantastic example of this is Great Britain, with their current "knife crime" hand wringing. They pretty much totally outlawed guns. And then didn't they move on to knives? They were trying to outlaw pointy knives. I don't know if that effort succeeded. I think they have outlawed locking knives, haven't they? So it's not a good idea to overlook what a place does against firearms owners thinking "they'll never do that to my knives". I think someone thinking like that would be in for a rude surprise. I also have a hunch that someone who looks at a knife foremost as a tool, but something that someone of evil intent can use as a weapon, probably looks at firearms the same way. Similarly, someone who has an irrational fear of guns probably has an irrational fear of knives too. And the irrational folks are the ones pushing these crazy restrictive laws. So firearms and knives are closely related when it comes to "rights".

#282179 - 09/18/16 05:37 PM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: haertig]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: haertig
Often times, once a place goes after guns hog wild, and finds that in the end that doesn't really help anything, then they go after knives. A fantastic example of this is Great Britain, with their current "knife crime" hand wringing. They pretty much totally outlawed guns. And then didn't they move on to knives? They were trying to outlaw pointy knives. I don't know if that effort succeeded. I think they have outlawed locking knives, haven't they?
There hasn't been any recent change in knife laws here. Pen-knifes are presumed tools, and other knifes are presumed weapons, but both presumptions are rebutable. So it's not so much that they are outlawed, as that carrying a knife that isn't a pen-knife needs a specific justification. A vague, "I might need to cut something" isn't specific enough. The hand-wringing is mostly directed at gangs, mostly teenagers, who use knives as weapons to cause lasting bodily harm. Knife-crime is a real issue here.

I actually think our statute law is reasonable, as it does acknowledge that pen-knives are tools that need no further justification to carry. The problem is that the statute did not consider locking blades at all, and some case law has established precedent that locking blades are classed with fixed blades. The way those cases arose meant that the argument that a lock is a safety feature never really got made. So the case law is bad, but unlikely now to get over-turned.

#282180 - 09/18/16 07:46 PM Re: NYC Knife Law Question [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Let's please stay away from commentary about whether the law is effective or appropriate, and limit comment to what the law actually is.

Thanks,

chaosmagnet

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.