Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#281361 - 07/15/16 02:22 PM Cold Brew Coffee (CBC)
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I was chatting with the staff at a grocery store I frequent and the subject turned to cold brew coffee. They had the store brand label CBC on the shelf and I'd always passed it by as all I wanted was whole bean arabica (always fresher if you grind your own). After the discussion on the merits of CBC I did a google search and liked what I read. I'm drinking some of the store brand as I type and it's not bad at all, better than most.

If you prefer Ice Coffee in the summer as many do, it's especially a good option. Recipe's/instructions are on the web, but essentially as the name implies, it is brewed with cold water and so has a lower acidity. As I understand the caffeine level is also decreased but I'm thinking not by much. It's brewed strong so it can be used as a concentrate (adding ice is one way to dilute it, but I just use very cold water. The store brand I bought to try out recommends 1 part CBC concentrate to 2 parts water or milk. I used 2 parts water and then added milk to taste. If you use sugar, remember to add it first with a bit of very hot water otherwise it doesn't go into solution as well.

(No brand names above so no disclaimer required)

#281368 - 07/15/16 06:04 PM Re: Cold Brew Coffee (CBC) [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Very cool! Thanks for this, Russ!

I am a coffee fan addict. I rarely think that it's too hot outside for coffee, and then there a heat waves like we're in the midst of as I type. Many times on the trail, I just want cold sweet caffeine, without the fizz of a soda pop. (See what I did there? My own little move for good CAN-US relations.)

I'm going to check these out. Much appreciated!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281371 - 07/16/16 12:35 PM Re: Cold Brew Coffee (CBC) [Re: Russ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I've never been able to accept the idea of drinking cold coffee. I guess I'm just too narrow minded....

#281372 - 07/16/16 01:09 PM Re: Cold Brew Coffee (CBC) [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I hear that, I can only drink it in the summer, but large coffee franchises (too avoid naming one or too) insist on using ice which melts meaning the coffer dillutes as you drink and the lower half of the cup is watery. Brewing my own means I can make it at a strength I like without ice. Half the enjoyment of coffee is doing it myself. That said, it doesn't get hot until about 9 AM ...

#281770 - 08/20/16 02:25 PM Re: Cold Brew Coffee (CBC) [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

A month later and I'm brewing my own cold brew coffee. It's about the brewing temperature, not the drinking temperature. In August in SOCAL it goes down great at 41ºF, I don't use ice so it doesn't get diluted. When the cooler temps arrive, I'll heat it. Brewing it cold is simply easier imo; the reduced acid is a benefit, I'm not seeing reduced caffeine.

#281868 - 08/27/16 02:24 PM Re: Cold Brew Coffee (CBC) [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

The past few days here in SOCAL have been cooler in the AM, not cold, still shorts weather, but cool enough to drink my morning cold-brew-coffee hot. Forget what I said about just heating the same mix/ratio (CBC:milk:water) used when drinking CBC cold; I drank the result of my first attempt but it was not friendly to the tongue. So yesterday I decreased the water % and increased the milk %. Attempt #2 was okay but still not great; today I decreased the water and increased the milk even more (attempt #3) and it worked.

BTW (this entire topic is a BTW), I also switched from 100% Colombian beans to 100% Guatemalan (organic) beans. Coffee is a heavily sprayed crop, so in this case, organic is significant. Flavor-wise, meh...

#281891 - 08/29/16 01:32 PM Re: Cold Brew Coffee (CBC) [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We had a huge discussion about cold brewed coffee at a dinner party on the weekend. Now I really want to try to make some!

#281897 - 08/29/16 03:47 PM Re: Cold Brew Coffee (CBC) [Re: Russ]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
I tried and made some. Turned out to be OK, better than hot brewed coffee that has cooled.
Mr Google said that it should be very course grinded but I had only dark roasted coffe ground for french press so that is perhaps too fine. Used 1 dl coffee and 4dl water. But still it turned out drinkable.

#281900 - 08/29/16 05:51 PM Re: Cold Brew Coffee (CBC) [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is now a bottle coffee cold brewing in my fridge. Not sure I can be patient for another 12-14 hours, so I may have to resort to coffee with ice for now. Thanks again, gang!

Coach me on how best to add cream and sugar, please?

#281901 - 08/29/16 06:14 PM Re: Cold Brew Coffee (CBC) [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

No need to brew in the fridge, most CBC recipe's call for brewing at room temp. After you filter the grounds, the concentrate is stored in the fridge.

I use raw sugar which doesn't go into solution well in cold water. If I'm drinking it cold I use a bit of hot water to mix it and then add water and milk in equal parts to the coffee. If drinking it hot, I use one part coffee, two parts milk and just enough hot water to get the sugar in solution.

There are other ways to do it, experimentation is recommended to find the best flavor for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.