Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#281791 - 08/23/16 07:48 AM Am I paranoid ??
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Some of my extra prepping items are stored in a plastic toolbox inside a wooden cabinet. They are everything from pocket knives, sharpeners, LED flashlights , and STORM-PROOF matches. I think there are 2 or 3 lighters as well.

Problem is , I also store some importnt documents in the same cabinet. I am really worried about something catching fire and the whole thing goes into flames.

Is this justified. Or are lighters and matches safe enough ??

#281794 - 08/23/16 08:22 AM Re: Am I paranoid ?? [Re: Chisel]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
The lighters and matches should be save enough. If you are worried, make a scan or photo of the documents and store the coppies elsewhere. You might also put the the documents into a LiPo pouch. A fire caused by something else might also consume the documents.
I decided to store my important documents in the gun safe. That is reasonably fireproof and helps to protect the documents.

#281801 - 08/23/16 02:25 PM Re: Am I paranoid ?? [Re: Chisel]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
No, you are not paranoid enough.

If there is any concern about fire, the documents should be in a firebox; they are quite cheap, like 19.00 at Walmart/Target.

They are good for about an hour, but will get HOT inside after 30 minutes, so flamables like lighter should not be inside.

I see that LIPO bags are good to "contain" fires, but have never heard of using to "exclude" fires. Interesting idea, but I would not trust with documents.

I do agree that making copies of these documents would be very prudent.

#281829 - 08/25/16 06:06 AM Re: Am I paranoid ?? [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks

I have copies of the documents. But if the originals are lost, it is a lot of work to get replacements

I will be looking for metal cans to store the matches separately outside the cabinet.

#281836 - 08/25/16 09:38 PM Re: Am I paranoid ?? [Re: Chisel]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Some of my extra prepping items are stored in a plastic toolbox inside a wooden cabinet. They are everything from pocket knives, sharpeners, LED flashlights , and STORM-PROOF matches. I think there are 2 or 3 lighters as well.

Problem is , I also store some importnt documents in the same cabinet. I am really worried about something catching fire and the whole thing goes into flames.

Is this justified. Or are lighters and matches safe enough ??

The lighters and matches are probably safe enough. But, any important document should be scanned, encrypted and uploaded to a secure online backup site. There's nothing like a burglary or house fire to muck up your preps.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.