The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#281669 - 08/11/16 11:55 PM Cache for 'survival' stuff
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Was looking at another site and the discussion of having a supply cache set up was being kicked around. I've got a (good for me) GHB in the car and can easily get supporting gear at work. At home I've got enough for us (wife plus me) to get along for a reasonable time and also mobile enough to move if we have to.

With all that - it seems to be a good idea to have a "storage" place for some basic materials if you ever have to "go" and need to have something to help you survive and/or make a bad situation better. A near by friend/family is a logical point to start and for the truly paranoid you can go 'hide' something someplace like a long-term storage site. What say you??

Paul -

#281670 - 08/12/16 01:35 AM Re: Cache for 'survival' stuff [Re: pforeman]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

If you have willing friends or family, occurs to me that it would be great to have an RV -- travel trailer, perhaps -- stored somewhere and have it stocked (carefully, to guard against rodents) with canned and freeze-dried food and some camping gear.

#281671 - 08/12/16 06:51 PM Re: Cache for 'survival' stuff [Re: pforeman]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I live on the central Gulf Coast of Florida, and my evacuation plan is to a relative's new constructed (post Andrew building code) house about 20mi for a Cat 4 or greater...after reading "place with no name", I followed Dagny's suggestion and picked up a light utility trailer to transport what few valuables I have just in case my old frame house doesn't make it...increases load capacity of my SUV..(I cube out before I mass out)... with a ridge pole, a blue tarp, and mosquito netting, capable of sleeping and cooking quarters until new dwelling can be established...

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

Edited by LesSnyder (08/12/16 06:53 PM)

#281686 - 08/14/16 01:50 PM Re: Cache for 'survival' stuff [Re: pforeman]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I now have a bit more to think over. As I don't have a close location that would be appropriate I will go with a bit longer in range. I plan on establishing a set-up that would take 'getting to' but would be secure. It will take transportation (300 mines) to get there or one hell of a walk.

In the meantime a good stash in the car and supplement for it a work can be the plan. Hopefully it will never be needed and I can start an annual tradition of "eat the old crap you had on hand and replace it" rotation. Thanks!

Paul -

#281688 - 08/14/16 05:08 PM Re: Cache for 'survival' stuff [Re: pforeman]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
pforeman...for the last 30 or so years, I've tried to address one target area each year for supplies... water, cooking, lights, information, relaxation etc, and after the 2004/2005 storm season, debriefed my students' experiences, and came up with a pretty comprehensive list of hurricane oriented supplies and concerns... but don't think you get too many Tropical Storms in Iowa...there is no need to reinvent the wheel... look at some of the LDS produced videos on YouTube...in addition to the blog I posted above, the video that most influenced my preparations was this one by Wendy DeWitt...it completely changed the manner in which I store long term supplies to vacuum sealed canning jars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLuIApyNPc

Edited by LesSnyder (08/14/16 05:11 PM)

#281712 - 08/16/16 12:20 AM Re: Cache for 'survival' stuff [Re: pforeman]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: pforeman
Was looking at another site and the discussion of having a supply cache set up was being kicked around. I've got a (good for me) GHB in the car and can easily get supporting gear at work. At home I've got enough for us (wife plus me) to get along for a reasonable time and also mobile enough to move if we have to.

With all that - it seems to be a good idea to have a "storage" place for some basic materials if you ever have to "go" and need to have something to help you survive and/or make a bad situation better. A near by friend/family is a logical point to start and for the truly paranoid you can go 'hide' something someplace like a long-term storage site. What say you??

Paul -

Having a reciprocal storage arrangement (you store theirs, and they store yours) with a "survival buddy" household is a decent idea. A couple tubs of gear in a backyard storage shed is about as good as a small U-Haul storage locker. There's less security, but you won't get locked out in an area wide incident.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281724 - 08/16/16 05:05 PM Re: Cache for 'survival' stuff [Re: pforeman]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

think about a bike for your 'walk.'

#281727 - 08/16/16 06:58 PM Re: Cache for 'survival' stuff [Re: Dagny]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Dagny

If you have willing friends or family, occurs to me that it would be great to have an RV -- travel trailer, perhaps -- stored somewhere and have it stocked (carefully, to guard against rodents) with canned and freeze-dried food and some camping gear.

Provided you can keep the RV in running condition. My next door neighbor's landlord has a RV parked in windowsill high weeds. I suspect they use it for storage because the tenants aren't allowed near it, and their primary residence is in a fire hazard area. I would be very surprised if it's still capable of moving under it's own power (It hasn't been started since we moved in 8 years ago).

OTOH, an enclosed sport or small utility trailer requires much less upkeep then an RV.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281749 - 08/19/16 03:53 PM Re: Cache for 'survival' stuff [Re: Mark_R]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Good point on the RV idea. We had one in the past but let it go. The ongoing financial burn for basic upkeep just got to be more than it was worth. We have kicked around the idea of a small trailer but that is just being considered and could also not be worth the cost - need to do some ROI thinking there.

Another idea voiced, have a bike for the 'long walk' is also a very good idea. We've got one but two would be much better. As it has only ever been a 'recreational tool' I will have to think about putting aside some basic gear and simple tools to keep it moving if ever needed for "advanced" duty for a bug-out.

Paul -

#281753 - 08/19/16 08:40 PM Re: Cache for 'survival' stuff [Re: pforeman]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Be aware of having too much things can be a burden. Maintenance and keeping your knowledge about it up to date can take vast amount of time and money. I have seen this being an issue with personal equipment, but also emergency services that are unable to keep equipment ready and personnel trained to operate them.

In my opinion, needing a RV or trailer, mean you have too much stuff. Making harder choice of what to bring or not to bring and just make things fit in your vehicle. Look at what people that travel long distances carry and the choices they make. Long distance backpackers, bikepackers and biketourers are very good at making those choices and a good inspiration to see what you actually need. Adding a trailer adds a burden to your vehicle, making it less manoeuvrable, more prone failure and use more fuel.

In my situation it’s also cheaper to shrink my gear than to get a bigger vehicle or trailer. But vehicle costs might be different to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.