Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#281632 - 08/07/16 11:00 PM Re: Changing content recommendations for survival kits [Re: WesleyH]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

Sadly many have been forced to change as Bovril stock cubes are no longer made. Atleast not in their original form, which was perfect.

And no more Mummery's blood.

"mountain elixir (that) consists of equal parts of navy rum and Bovril, served boiling hot. Its effect on both mind and body is nourishing, warming and strengthening; it lowers angles, shortens distances, and improves weather." - W.H. Murray

#281950 - 08/31/16 08:06 PM Re: Changing content recommendations for survival kits [Re: WesleyH]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I keep food separate from other gear. Other things - water, insulation, signaling - are much more important and...Bears. Food attracts bears.

#281996 - 09/03/16 05:04 PM Re: Changing content recommendations for survival kits [Re: WesleyH]
Fyrediver Offline

I carry a couple Miso soup packets in my GHB not necessarily as survival "food" but as a moral booster and warmth inducing drink. Completely sealed so won't get moist like some of the older bullion cubes. I've got a couple Via packets as well both cold and hot coffee.

#281999 - 09/03/16 09:34 PM Re: Changing content recommendations for survival kits [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
Many years ago a friend recommended a 50:50 mix of Tang and instant tea. Sugar, orange flavor, caffeine -- not quite all the basic food groups...

Reminds me of breakfasts as a kid, with sweet and milky but super strong tea, and marmalade on toast. Bleck! LOL! I had a strict Irish woman as a babysitter and I've hated that combo ever since. LOL!!

I acknowledge that it sounds GREAT in theory so encourage everyone else to try it. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#282000 - 09/03/16 09:46 PM Re: Changing content recommendations for survival kits [Re: Fyrediver]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Fyrediver
I carry a couple Miso soup packets in my GHB not necessarily as survival "food" but as a moral booster and warmth inducing drink. Completely sealed so won't get moist like some of the older bullion cubes. I've got a couple Via packets as well both cold and hot coffee.

Great idea!

Side note: I used to love Miso soup, until I got pregnant the first time. I haven't been able to stomach it since, but my kids are a great trade-off. wink (Pregnancy does weird things to women's bodies so have patience guys. LOL!)

Knorr makes a variety of just add water soups that are pretty tasty and only slightly larger than a package of hot chocolate. Creamy Potato and Cream of Leek are my faves, and my kids really like the chicken noodle - though they complain that there aren't enough noodles, which they always do. LOL! Minestrone is in third place.

I'm always looking in the ethnic foods section at the grocery store and Wal-mart. We're also lucky enough to have an Asian food market around the corner. Great selection of un-traditional stuff (read that as "not the same old boring thing") and lots of light-weight easy to make beside the trail stuff.

Kinda side note: I recently tried the new Knorr concentrated liquid stock cubes. They are wet instead of dry, so a puncture is a little more problematic if you don't plan for it and pack wisely, but REALLY good!! I just wish they could package it differently, like Justin's Peanut Butter squeeze packs, which we can't here either.

#283344 - 01/14/17 06:37 PM Re: Changing content recommendations for survival kits [Re: WesleyH]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Protein bars or calorie bars (Those high calorie bricks). I can carry two days worth of food in a pocket.

#283347 - 01/15/17 03:30 AM Re: Changing content recommendations for survival kits [Re: bacpacjac]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
...Kinda side note: I recently tried the new Knorr concentrated liquid stock cubes. They are wet instead of dry, so a puncture is a little more problematic if you don't plan for it and pack wisely, but REALLY good!! I just wish they could package it differently, like Justin's Peanut Butter squeeze packs, which we can't here either.

Bacpacjac,

I put all of my bars and gels in ziplock freezer bags or sealed, (but not vacuum sealed), vacuum seal bags. I've had messes before and both bags give an extra layer of protection and are much tougher material than most food packages.

Justin's Almond Maple squeeze packs are AMAZING if you can find some by you.

#283351 - 01/15/17 01:41 PM Re: Changing content recommendations for survival kits [Re: Quietly_Learning]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I do the same, ziplock everything with the potential to leak, and double bag serious threats.

Right now my peanut butter is a little Rubbermaid container, that holds about 4 big tablespoons worth. It's probably better for the environment, but I hate the weight and bulk. Wetcanoedogs once showed us refillable tubes that he uses, but I haven't been able to find them around here yet. I've got a little 4oz SAK collapsable flask that I've considered for peanut butter, but getting the PB out of it would be a challenge so it's relegated to holding olive oil instead. wink

Every time friends and family head South of the border and ask if we'd like them to bring anything back, I ask for Justin's PB packs and SPAM singles because we can't get them here. I'm pretty sure they think I'm kidding because I've had no joy yet. frown

#283358 - 01/15/17 07:46 PM Re: Changing content recommendations for survival kits [Re: WesleyH]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Justin's PB packs and SPAM singles

Those are both available on Amazon.

#283363 - 01/16/17 08:58 AM Re: Changing content recommendations for survival kits [Re: bacpacjac]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I do the same, ziplock everything with the potential to leak, and double bag serious threats.

Right now my peanut butter is a little Rubbermaid container, that holds about 4 big tablespoons worth. It's probably better for the environment, but I hate the weight and bulk. Wetcanoedogs once showed us refillable tubes that he uses, but I haven't been able to find them around here yet. I've got a little 4oz SAK collapsable flask that I've considered for peanut butter, but getting the PB out of it would be a challenge so it's relegated to holding olive oil instead. wink

Every time friends and family head South of the border and ask if we'd like them to bring anything back, I ask for Justin's PB packs and SPAM singles because we can't get them here. I'm pretty sure they think I'm kidding because I've had no joy yet. frown

All this talk of peanut butter made me hungry so I did a little experiment:

I put some PB in a sandwich bag. To get the PB out I squeezed it into a corner, cut the corner off and twisted and squeezed it out like a cake frosting bag. It worked well. I did the same to some jelly, (PB without J makes for very lonely PB smile ).

If you put both sandwich bags into a thicker freezer bag you can more safely transport them and still save a lot of weight vs using the Rubbermaid container.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.