Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#281616 - 08/05/16 01:46 PM Best Bang for Space and Weight
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm not in the market since our plan is to bug in; I am interested in the subject of survival kits. I wonder which survival kits offer the best bang for the space and weight?

There is the PSP and the PSP Plus we all know and love. Even I brought the PSP so I could learn with it.

There is the Master Pro Survival Kit that Doug rated as "Excellent."

https://www.prosurvivalkit.com/store/kits/master-pro-survival-kit

The company makes other kits that are as good.

The Pathfinder School makes an excellent kit for teaching.

http://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/basic-survival-pack-by-the-pathfinder-school/

Just throw in the Plastic Spork to make the kit complete.

http://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/plastic-spork/

Though this is not a survival kit, it offers a good bang for the space and weight and it's good to have if you have to get out of Dodge.

http://www.survivalresources.com/Products/26330_HygieneKit.html

What other kits offer a good bang for the space and weight for when your mode of transportation is a pair of boots?

Jeanette Isabelle

#281617 - 08/05/16 02:55 PM Re: Best Bang for Space and Weight [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
None of the above. The best kit, and probably also the cheapest and most cost effective, is the one you assemble yourself to match your local conditions and capabilities.

A lot of my experience has taken place in the Sonoran desert. At times, your survival kit consists of a broad brimmed hat and plenty (usually at least a gallon) of water. Nothing else is critical, especially the fishing kit, etc.

At other times, one of these kits would be just fine in Sonoran conditions. You can fish in selected locations, and water needs will not be so critical.

Your mindset and critical decision making skills are far more important than the gadgets tucked away in a tricky bag.

#281619 - 08/05/16 09:21 PM Re: Best Bang for Space and Weight [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I thought the point of having a survival kit is one never knows what the local conditions will be until they get there. My line of thinking is use what has been tested and proven. With that in mind I would think the best kit is one that is built with the above mentioned kits and select the item with the least space and weight when there's a redundancy except when it comes to fire and water purification.

My interest in gadgets got me interested in survival. I would say gadgets are important.

Jeanette Isabelle

#281620 - 08/05/16 10:46 PM Re: Best Bang for Space and Weight [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Perhaps the first step in good survival techniques is to study up on conditions prevailing at your destination and along the route. This of course, poses quite a problem if you are flying cross continent by jet, covering many environments, but that is an extreme case. Usually we know where we are going and have a pretty good idea of conditions there.

The referenced kits are dreadfully expensive for what they offer. And there are some curious items. In the first you reference, they include a mini carabiner. !! Why? In the second, they offer a Princeton Tec EOS headlamp, a good .

My approach is to first devise your EDC. My keychain, with me at all times (including when I sleep) provides a flashlight (100 lumens), a small multi tool (PS4),a lighter, tiny prybar, and cash. I always have a mutitool as well, except when dealing with TSA.

When I am out away from home, I carry some sort of pack, with what I characterize as a "core bag." It has most of the standards - a signal mirror, whistle, lighter, waterproof match case, hand sanitizer (also serves as fire starter, duct tape, mylar tarps, small knife, band aids, dressings. I also include in the pack a FAK,
and at least one water bottle with a metal cup. That will certainly get me through an unexpected night out (and has done so more than once)

I am going over my gear,preparing for a two week project (at least) where three of us will be camping out in an isolated location with poor communications, and outside assistance at least more than an hour away. I am quite familiar with conditions there, which is a big help, but like all of California these days, we must be extremely careful not to ignite the woods around us. We will be adequately equipped, but more important than our equipment is our knowledge, experience, and capability.

First aid is a good example of the value of knowledge over "stuff." You can have all FAK toys you desire, but your first steps on an accident scene don't involve any equipment at all, but are vital to the action you will take and the ultimate outcome.

Ideally, of course, you have both knowledge and stuff in overflowing abundance. That's what ETS is all about, isn't it?

#281622 - 08/05/16 11:32 PM Re: Best Bang for Space and Weight [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Always always always plan ahead. Set-up your kit for realistic conditions and plan for contingencies. There's no reason to carry stuff you realistically will not be able to use. Think 10 essentials, and then add stuff for local conditions. OTOH...

Is this an emergency kit or an assembly of gear you will use daily? Two different kits. IMO...

#281623 - 08/05/16 11:33 PM Re: Best Bang for Space and Weight [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Perhaps the first step in good survival techniques is to study up on conditions prevailing at your destination and along the route. This of course, poses quite a problem if you are flying cross continent by jet, covering many environments, but that is an extreme case. Usually we know where we are going and have a pretty good idea of conditions there.

What if a person needs to bug out on foot and travel a great distance?

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Ideally, of course, you have both knowledge and stuff in overflowing abundance. That's what ETS is all about, isn't it?

I agree. What is the point in having any of the gear listed if one is not trained in how to use it? The more you know, the less you have to carry.

Jeanette Isabelle

#281624 - 08/05/16 11:43 PM Re: Best Bang for Space and Weight [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Is this an emergency kit or an assembly of gear you will use daily? Two different kits. IMO...

For a while I've been thinking about a hypothetical scenario where one needs to bug out on foot. It's just you, the people you're traveling with and the gear you are able to carry (the lighter and smaller, the better).

Jeanette Isabelle

#281625 - 08/06/16 01:00 AM Re: Best Bang for Space and Weight [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

"What if a person needs to bug out on foot and travel a great distance?"

First, be in shape and have good walking shoes. Be sure you have cash, bartering items, credit cards or equivalent as well as basics. Wehn this question comes up, I think of my wife's grandparents, who fled Moscow in 1920, traversing Siberia and winding up in Mongolia where my father-in-law was born. They traveled on foot, dog sleds, and train, among other ways. Sewing needles were hot items in trade for food through much of Siberia.

Remember,thru hikers on the big trails (PCT et al) can rack up 2000 miles in a single trip, although usually with some sort of support.

#281626 - 08/06/16 01:09 AM Re: Best Bang for Space and Weight [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JI.... a few years ago, I scoured YouTube for ideas as I wanted to put together a 72 hour remain overnight car kit...the video that influenced me the most was this one...for Florida I added, a brimmed hat, mosquito head net, Sawyer filter, Mountain House entrees and some EGR packets, TP and baby wipes...you might check out his wild fire turn out equipment..

#281627 - 08/06/16 01:11 AM Re: Best Bang for Space and Weight [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JI.... a few years ago, I scoured YouTube for ideas as I wanted to put together a 72 hour remain overnight car kit...the video that influenced me the most was this one...for Florida I added, a brimmed hat, mosquito head net, Sawyer filter, Mountain House entrees and some EGR packets, TP and baby wipes...additionally you might check out his wild fire turn out equipment..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa4oiYwtLbE

Edited by LesSnyder (08/06/16 01:11 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.