The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2811 - 11/30/01 02:44 PM (Bad) Photon III experiences
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi,<br><br>I wonder if some of you have experienced the same problems with Photon III lights as I've been having lately?<br><br>I traded an covert Photon II in green and it worked perfectly and still does for months now but I gave it as a present to a colleague who left our company.<br><br>I traded 8 Photon III's to be used as presents for our Scouting leaders (beaver, cub, scout and explorer leaders) and of the 2 that I started using (one red and one white) both have lost some/most of the microcomputer controlled modes only being capable to do full and ... make your choice... mostly half power or one flashing mode.<br><br>I read about resetting the chip by taking the batteries out for some time and that works most times for a limited time because within a couple of hours you lose some modes again.<br>It will keep the mode you set it to when it worked and off course also the full power mode (front part of switch) but I'm thinking that I have had bad luck with these # 3's and that I should have stayed with the Photon II's.<br><br>I like the way one can now chage the batteries as this has become much easier to do without the need for a miniature philips screwdriver, this makes it more survival proof in my opinion, if only the microchip worked as it was supposed to do.<br><br>Best Scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera<br>

#2812 - 11/30/01 10:17 PM Re: (Bad) Photon III experiences
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Have you asked Photon to replace them under warrantly?
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#2813 - 12/01/01 05:08 AM Re: (Bad) Photon III experiences
Anonymous
Unregistered

To many functions in a small container = Bad survival/emergency equipment. :0)<br>I love my Photon I water resistant covert red and my Photon II white. <br>

#2814 - 12/01/01 08:45 AM Re: (Bad) Photon III experiences
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi Dog,<br><br>Brian from Photonlight (L.R.I.'s)has on the forum on their website offered to everybody to return the Photon III's which show these symptoms.<br>I'm a 110% Photon lover having at least each from Photon I through III and I love them, still I'm interested in how many people have these misbehaving III's as I can't believe that I'm the only one who has this experience.<br>The P III, is easy to change it's batteries which is an +++ in survival situations (as long as you carry a few spares) but it has to be relied upon to function even after having been powered up for some time.<br><br>Doug, I'm returning the maffunctioning ones no problem but it's a real pain in the .ss as it will mean that I won't see them back this year and they were supposed to be stocking stuffers at scouting.<br>Priority Airmail from Holland to the US is at an alltime low with padded envelopes taking up to 31 days to arrive which normally takes 6-8 days, combine that with the holidays coming that means seeing the hopefully functioning P III's back end of January.<br><br>Best scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera

#2815 - 12/01/01 04:16 PM Re: (Bad) Photon III experiences
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Under the circumstances, IMHO, and you are free to quote me, they should not require you to return the items before sending you free replacements. At the worst, and even this would be pretty CS given the amount involved, they should allow you the option of charging you for the replacement and then credit when they get the old ones back. As I said, still CS under the circumstances, but at least it offers a viable solution. They are obviously defective and are so by their own admission. It's the holiday season and these were bought as gifts. They should be happy that they have only inconvenienced, and potentially pissed off, one person instead of all the people for whom you bought them. They should be falling all over themselves to make this right. 3. You should not have to pay for return shipping for items that were essentially defective virtually out of the box, as I understand the situation. <br><br>That's my take on it and the position I would take if it were me. I will be interested in hearing how this works out and also if you find it is a bigger problem than yourself, which I would be surprised if it wasn't. This sort of feedback is invaluable wheh I assess the customer service and reliability of manufacturers and vendors.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#2816 - 12/04/01 12:11 AM Re: (Bad) Photon III experiences
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recentlly purchased two of the photon 3's. One has so far worked perfectly, but the other one did the same thing. The different modes quit working, then it got to the point that it wouldn't shut off. You had to take the batteries out to shut it off, but it didn't change anything. Turn it back on and wouldn't shut off again.<br>I havent tried talking to L.R.I yet, but they have a lifetime warrenty on them.

#2817 - 12/05/01 04:53 PM Re: (Bad) Photon III experiences
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently purchase 3 of the Photon III's from 1sks.com. Two of them worked flawlessly, and continue to. The third, as soon as I removed the internal plastic tab, stayed on continuously. 1sks paid for the return shipping and sent me a new one immediately which has worked since then. I have had these for about 3 months.

#2818 - 01/22/02 04:44 AM Re: (Bad) Photon III experiences
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was at REI trying to get a brand new Photon III to work. Neither I, nor two store associates, were able to get it to work properly.

#2819 - 01/22/02 08:16 AM You shouldn't carry a torch out of principle *DELETED*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post deleted by Chris Kavanaugh

#2820 - 01/22/02 03:24 PM Re: You shouldn't carry a torch out of principle
Anonymous
Unregistered

Duuuude.....<br><br>No offense, but that's paranoid, even to me. Flashlights are a lot more effective than stumbling about in the dark. I have never found a distributor for "beta lights" in the States, but as far as I can figure out, all it is is a tritium chip, right? For one, I wouldn't want to have to rely on the tritium inserts in my various pistols for illumination, nor the chips in my watch. <br><br>If I know there is a hostile out there, I proabably won't use the light. But if you assume that someone is always about to make an attempt on your life, you just failed to live. Survive, yes, but there is more to it than moving air in and out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.