Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#281527 - 07/28/16 06:37 PM 2nd hand ( used) PLB's - Any drawbacks?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I found a used spot locator beacon - other than re registering it, are there any other considerations? ( besides getting the right batteries)
Is there a way to test it?

Teacher

#281528 - 07/28/16 06:54 PM Re: 2nd hand ( used) PLB's - Any drawbacks? [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If it's a good price (the only reason to buy a used PLB imo), take possession, reregister and then send it to the manufacturer for a check-up and new battery(ies). My neighbor who took his small (for me) but well built sport-fishing boat to sea (blue water just west of here) received my first PLB after I upgraded to my ACR ResQLink. He reregistered and trusted me that it had not been activated. By now, the batteries have timed out.

Not being the trusting type, I'd send it in. $.02

#281532 - 07/28/16 10:40 PM Re: 2nd hand ( used) PLB's - Any drawbacks? [Re: Russ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
If it's a good price (the only reason to buy a used PLB imo), take possession, reregister and then send it to the manufacturer for a check-up and new battery(ies). My neighbor who took his small (for me) but well built sport-fishing boat to sea (blue water just west of here) received my first PLB after I upgraded to my ACR ResQLink. He reregistered and trusted me that it had not been activated. By now, the batteries have timed out.

Not being the trusting type, I'd send it in. $.02

How much for the new battery? That might make the difference between a deal and a not so gòod deal.

#281533 - 07/28/16 10:50 PM Re: 2nd hand ( used) PLB's - Any drawbacks? [Re: Roarmeister]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
True, the total cost including shipping needs to be factored -- then there is the smaller/better/faster factor.

That said, if you already own one and it was good enough a few years ago, is the smaller/better/faster factor a compelling reason to upgrade? Buying a piece of kit like a PLB you need to keep in mind it's a piece of gear you hope to never use, but if you do decide you need it, there's no room for error.

#281535 - 07/29/16 12:42 AM Re: 2nd hand ( used) PLB's - Any drawbacks? [Re: TeacherRO]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I found a used spot locator beacon - other than re registering it, are there any other considerations? ( besides getting the right batteries)
Is there a way to test it?

Teacher

For a SPOT (which is not a PLB) Which version? Do not buy the first Gen. Second is adequate, but wouldn't personally take anything less than 3rd Gen. (current version).

Just have to register it. Takes regular batteries.

As to an actual PLB, unless it's real cheap and fairly new, not worth it. Cost to replace a battery is generally more than half the cost of a new one.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#281539 - 07/29/16 08:16 PM Re: 2nd hand ( used) PLB's - Any drawbacks? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think its SPOT gen 2 - Why is it not a plb? I assumed it was...

#281541 - 07/29/16 11:06 PM Re: 2nd hand ( used) PLB's - Any drawbacks? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
SPOT is a satellite messenger that uses private industry communications satellites and a private industry emergency communications center. A PLB is a device that signals government-owned and operated satellites that are part of the COSPAS-SARSAT system. Signals are then sent to rescue coordination centers, which in the USA are operated by the USAF and USCG.

A PLB will work if it's registered, and there are no subscription fees. SPOT requires a subscription to operate.

Edited by chaosmagnet (07/29/16 11:07 PM)

#281564 - 08/01/16 02:44 PM Re: 2nd hand ( used) PLB's - Any drawbacks? [Re: TeacherRO]
GoatMan Offline

Are there any FCC or other rules that require emergency signals from a Spot or InReach to be received similar to deactivated cell phones?

Inactive cell phones can still call 911 and emergency responders can still be sent. It is great to put old phones in various GO bags or 72hr kits. I'm wondering if Spot and InReach messenger systems that have inactive subscriptions could still send out there SOS signals and function like a PLB (have emergency response). Or would it just fall of deaf ears?

#281565 - 08/01/16 02:58 PM Re: 2nd hand ( used) PLB's - Any drawbacks? [Re: GoatMan]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: GoatMan
Are there any FCC or other rules that require emergency signals from a Spot or InReach to be received similar to deactivated cell phones?

I'm nearly 100% sure that the answer to this is "no."

#281567 - 08/01/16 08:30 PM Re: 2nd hand ( used) PLB's - Any drawbacks? [Re: GoatMan]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: GoatMan

No.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.