Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#281483 - 07/26/16 07:52 AM Bags ...
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Didin't want to hijack the prepping thread , so I started this thread to look into bags.

The other day, I was in a store looking for a bag and saw a few models of CANVAS bags. So, my question is : what are the advantages and disadvantages of canvas ???

There were other models of bags made of leather, nylon ...etc. I am mostly fond of nylon since it is light and durable enough. Leather is heavier.

Closures , too, come in different shapes and form. Velcro is great but sometimes too strong for me and noisy. Magnetic buttons are silent. Also , velcro in the inside of a bag may cause problems. I bought a small iPad bag and it had a sleeve inside with a strap ending with velcro. It wasn't only unnecessary for me, the hooks scratched my hand every time I put my hand in there. So I cut the strap and removed the hooks.

Back to my question. Should I consider CANVAS bags when shopping ? What are the pros and cons.

Oh, we don't get much rain where I live. Lots and lots and lots of solar heat though.

Thanks

#281488 - 07/26/16 02:31 PM Re: Bags ... [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Other than its traditional appearance, there are no particular advantages to canvas. Nylon is superior in almost every way.

#281493 - 07/26/16 06:10 PM Re: Bags ... [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Canvas gets dirty more easily than cordura and is harder to clean. it can also stink if it gets wet and isn't dried promptly.

#281496 - 07/26/16 07:21 PM Re: Bags ... [Re: Chisel]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
What kind of bag are you talking about? If it's a small daily-carry type bag, I really like these:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-137-molle-bag.html

[img]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2427_30527541414[/img]

#281497 - 07/26/16 07:37 PM Re: Bags ... [Re: Chisel]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Canvas looks cooler, nice hand, more astetic...less 'pepper.'
I have both materials...but I collect bags. smile
Look for a fully closable top - zips shut or similar.

#281508 - 07/26/16 08:12 PM Re: Bags ... [Re: Chisel]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

My Timbuktu bag is heavy nylon and has seen a great deal of use and abuse, with little visible evidence. It has been in a heavy rain (for about a half hour) with nothing inside getting wet (the flap covers the openings well).

It is completely "civilian" looking, and even works well in a suit. The nylon is flexible enough to allow over stuffing a bit.

I did carry a canvas one for a while for certain activities, but it just did not hold up, and water soaked right through. Even after treatment to repel water, the stuff wore off in particular areas quickly and it even soaked up water from the ground.

Leather bags are heavier, but are durable and fire resistant, if that is a consideration.

#281516 - 07/27/16 07:23 PM Re: Bags ... [Re: Chisel]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Ditto, Haertig -- what kind of bag?

I'm partial to LL Bean bags -- totes, duffles, briefcases, messenger bags, etc.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50?page=luggage&nav=gnro-hp

I have a couple of these "Hunter" zip top tote bags, in black, that are invisible through my SUV's tinted windows. They are very sturdy -- the one that goes on all my road trips is packed to the brim and uncomfortably heavy for me to carry far. It is made of: 1,200-denier polyester shell with a thermoplastic interior. I actually did not know it was polyester until just now -- feels like a light canvas.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/38534?feat=677-GN3&page=hunter-s-tote-bag-zip-top

#281520 - 07/28/16 06:44 AM Re: Bags ... [Re: Dagny]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks everyone

I like the L.L. Bean Continental briefcase ( the design, not the size )
This bag size is around 20 liters.

http://global.llbean.com/shop/Continental-Briefcase/86912.html#start=1

I like the design (front admin/organizer pocket + main compartment + narrow back pocket for papers ) .
If there was a smaller version. Maybe 6-8 liter capacity

For some time I have considered the Maxped Neatfreak. Seems to be in that size range (IIRC), but it has too much pockets. I have several dedicated pouches (for meds, stationery, tools ..etc.) And I transfer them from bag to bag according to my needs for that day. So, a main compartment is necessary for those pouches.

Thanks

#281521 - 07/28/16 07:03 AM Re: Bags ... [Re: haertig]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
What kind of bag are you talking about? If it's a small daily-carry type bag, I really like these:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-137-molle-bag.html

That is the right size (about 8 liters), but I don't like those MOLLE on the outside. Not only for the tactical looks but also for paying for things that I do not need/want. I would prefer that additional money goes for triple stitching or an additonal pocket. More function, and less tactical look.

But it is the right size.
I wish it had a front admin pocket, a back pocket, and no MOLLE

#281524 - 07/28/16 04:35 PM Re: Bags ... [Re: Chisel]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Lots of pockets on this guy, and no molle:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I have one of these too, and it's a great bag. The problem I have with bags with tons of pockets ... those pockets never seemed to be sized for the things I want to put in them.

Regarding that bag with the molle, it has great stitching, zippers, etc. The thing is bullet proof. It is not lacking in that area because "they used the money for molle instead". Actually, the molle webbing sewn on the bag acts as a macro-sized ripstop fabric and reinforces the strength of the bag. The bag is only $13.49, if they left off the molle it would probably bring that down to $12.99 - not much of a savings.

LA Police Gear used to make a version of this bag without the molle. Yes, I have that one too! Same size, no molle. The handles were different. The original had a single handle that attached to the middle of the top of the bag, and the zipper was off to the side. The new design is much better, with two handles, one on each side. This is much stronger and carries better. The original bag would sag, and you couldn't easily work the zipper while holding the bag by it's handle if it was heavily loaded. These problems were alleviated with the new two handle design. I was initially disappointed when LA Police Gear discontinued the original and replaced it with the molle version. Like you, I have no use for molle on a bag this small. However, since buying the molle version, I like it MUCH better than the non-molle original. The molle webbing does not stick out, does not snag on anything, I just don't use it and ignore it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.