The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#281307 - 07/11/16 11:34 PM Pokémon GO
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Anyone else here notice all the peeps walking around concentrating intently on their smartphones while playing Pokémon GO? Apparently the game is about walking around your local real world neighborhood while capturing as many Pokémon as you can in an overlaid virtual Pokémon world. That's my interpretation of the game. I noticed a few players yesterday and more today. At least the kids are out and about, fresh air, exercise... Pokémon... Life is Good

For the record, I have no (zip zero nada) affiliation with Pokémon or the Pokémon virtual world. I'm not a player, just amused watching players in the park. smile

#281309 - 07/12/16 12:16 AM Re: Pokémon GO [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I wish I owned stock. I don't believe I have ever seen any company earn that much money that quickly or seen stock prices go up that much in such a short amount of time.

http://fortune.com/2016/07/11/pokemon-go-nintendo-market-value/

Jeanette Isabelle

#281317 - 07/12/16 12:11 PM Re: Pokémon GO [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It's not in Canada yet, but apparently there's some way we can get and play it too. Sounds like a cool game, except for the side effect of injuries. Apparently players are concentrating too hard on their screens in many instances.

Honestly, I don't know if I'll let my kid play this one. He has ADHD and will hyper-focus on a game to the exclusion of everything else around him. Not safe when he's mobile. I want him outside, but concentrating on something other than a screen. I've found that he actually does best at disconnecting if we just leave the technology at home, and the spin off is that he then "plugs in" to the people and world and around him. Connecting by disconnecting is my parenting strategy.

Some of his friends are way more addicted to their video games, and either won't be drawn out of the house, or won't leave without their devices. In our neighbourhood, we have bike trails, a pool, a basketball court and a great spot for road hockey, but once the kids around here hit video game age, we rarely see them outside anymore. It's sad.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281319 - 07/12/16 01:57 PM Re: Pokémon GO [Re: bacpacjac]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Some of his friends are way more addicted to their video games, and either won't be drawn out of the house, or won't leave without their devices. In our neighbourhood, we have bike trails, a pool, a basketball court and a great spot for road hockey, but once the kids around here hit video game age, we rarely see them outside anymore. It's sad.

What an interesting observation. I do not wish to turn the (analog) clock back on technological progress, but I am glad I grew up when most toys did not require electricity to operate.

We were even limited on how much television we could watch each day.

#281320 - 07/12/16 01:59 PM Re: Pokémon GO [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
We've already seen some armed robberies where game elements were used to lure players into isolated areas.

#281322 - 07/12/16 03:59 PM Re: Pokémon GO [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

On the radio today there are reports of people walking into traffic to capture Pokémon. Next we'll have drivers playing while driving getting points in the virtual world and the real world at the same time. If you think texting while driving is bad... hopefully LE will be all over this.

#281324 - 07/12/16 06:04 PM Re: Pokémon GO [Re: Russ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
That is certainly NOT a game that I would want to rush out and play. But I guess some people are so tied to their cellphones and personal entertainment, that they'll allow anything just to play a game. Security? Who cares about security! Give me the game!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/pokemo...98a14f40f357c3c

I can't understand anyone being willing to allow this. Game developers are evidently saying, "This was an accident, we won't do anything with your data. We promise." Plausible? Believable? Not for me.

#281325 - 07/12/16 06:42 PM Re: Pokémon GO [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Not having signed up I didn't realize the security implications until I read that link, not good.
Quote:
...In other words, signing up to Pokemon Go with your Google account gives the developers the ability to do the following:
• Read your emails and send emails from your account
• View, edit or delete your Google drive documents
• Browse your search history
• Browse Maps navigation history
• Access content stored in Google Photos
As security expert Adam Reeve pointed out, the access to your emails poses an extra security risk that extends beyond Google accounts....
Who would agree to that? Someone who maybe doesn't read the agreement???

#281326 - 07/12/16 07:38 PM Re: Pokémon GO [Re: Russ]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Russ
Who would agree to that? Someone who maybe doesn't read the agreement???

People often do not realize what "full access" means. They do not realize the value of personal data either. They desparately want to play the game though. That is very common. I often get offers for some "free" things I would have had to pay for them with personal data. So far I declined those offers.
Some of the people I know get even angry when they learn that the email address they received from me is "throw away" and actually gets thrown away after security breaches they consinder minor (e. g. spam or malware mails or mail from people they gave it to). They get even more angry, when they learn that it was the only email address they´ll ever get from me.
I have even seen software developers give away login info. They should really know better.

#281328 - 07/12/16 07:48 PM Re: Pokémon GO [Re: Russ]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

It's not officially out here in europe yet. Yet I have seen more people walking around starting at there phones.

News are reporting people having to be removed near train tracks while they were looking for pokemons, a hospital tell people to not enter (closed) spaces, etc...

I remember almost having run over a person who ran a red light on his bicyle, wearing head phones and having both hands on the phone and staring only at the screen with 3 lanes of moving traffic... Now we get more people staring at a screen. Ugh...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.