Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#287978 - 01/23/18 03:10 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Wow, thanks for the list. That took some work!

I confess I recognize fewer than half the songs -- I guess GooTube is about to get a workout!

#288016 - 01/24/18 07:22 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Russ
... It seems I should not have started with a wood recorder, plastic requires much less maintenance and they are nearly indestructible. According to the manufacture's website, the alto recorder I have is stabilized maple, so probably not as delicate as the $3000 wood recorder
The issue I have is probably not finger placement as much as it is breath control.

I ended up playing alto recorder through a circuitous route. I've since dropped the harmonica in favor of it. Unless you plan on recitals, a brand name resin recorder is a good hobbyist and rough use instrument. The one I have is a Yamaha YRA-312 ~$30. I've found that the arched windway really helps with breath control. The other two name brands are Aulos and Zen-on.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#288017 - 01/24/18 07:42 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A while back I picked up a Yamaha Alto (ABS Resin) recorder — YRA-314B. That’s the only one I try to play cool The wood recorders are nice, but whether they sound any better is academic; I suck as a recorder player so ABS resin is a much better option.

#288018 - 01/24/18 08:55 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Russ, you suck?? That's your problem - you are supposed to blow!!

Always glad to assist...

#288020 - 01/25/18 01:52 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Russ, you suck?? That's your problem - you are supposed to blow!!

Always glad to assist...

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#288027 - 01/26/18 04:13 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

LOL! That's where a harp is so forgiving -- just the right amount of suck and blow makes a joyful noise. grin

I wonder if we have reached "peak thread" though -- we're down to Mel Brooks??? Oy. laugh

I need to post something broody and soulful real quick! cool

And emoticons! Need more emoticons!

#293957 - 10/28/19 01:37 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Just looking back through all our old threads, it seems quite a few others have given this one a second look. So, permit me to give it a bump.

Fires and floods, power out and people on the move. Hard times out there.

Are you folks still playing, singing, strumming, blowing and (on purpose) sucking, defying the storms outside? I hope so. Music lightens the load.

I have a couple of earworms that won't let go of me, so I have no choice but to learn them and play them. This week it's "End of the Line" by the Traveling Wilburys and "Ol'55" which is a Tom Waits tune covered by a few country rockers you may have heard of. Both on gootube. And they won't let me go until I know them by heart.

Hope you have a soon-to-be-portable earworm or two on your list as well.

Cheers!

#293958 - 10/28/19 02:09 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

I'm working on a "Tin Whistle" Simple device like a recorder, with 6 finger holes. There are plenty of free you tube tutorials to learn how.

#295355 - 03/21/20 10:15 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Wow, folks. Crazy times! Like many, we're voluntarily sheltering in place and distancing from COVID-19.

I thought a thread bump might be appropriate.

BTW, RIP Kenny Rogers. "The Gambler" is part of my fireside repertoire. Everybody likes it, regardless of their musical preferences. Somehow it rings true.

#295373 - 03/22/20 06:45 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

An couple of ideas:

Don't discount the ukelele as an instrument. It's much easier to learn to play than a guitar. I learned in elementary school. It can handle all the basic chords for campfire songs. A decent instrument should really have geared tuning heads. Ukes are a total hoot to mess around with!

For those who have an old guitar but don't play: you can still make pretty noises. Instead of standard tuning, drop both the high E (1st string, at the bottom) and the low E (6th string, at the top) down one full note to D. It now has a nice chord when you strum it open. And then you play an "A" chord and just move it up and down the neck (same fingering as A) until you find other spots that make nice chords. This works!

Don't have a guitar tuner? You can get them on your smartphone.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.