Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#281445 - 07/23/16 11:35 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Mini Hohner re-acquired and around my neck around again. Thanks Mark!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281446 - 07/23/16 02:50 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

So who's up for forming a survival band? It seems the harmonica section is pretty well staffed.

Wanna do an album?

#281449 - 07/23/16 06:20 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hmmm, learning more about the seemingly simple recorder every day. The are a number of videos on YouTube which are very insightful. A guy who goes by "gorebagg" has a series of youtube videos on the recorder stating at Z1 - Wood or Plastic? It seems I should not have started with a wood recorder, plastic requires much less maintenance and they are nearly indestructible. According to the manufacture's website, the alto recorder I have is stabilized maple, so probably not as delicate as the $3000 wood recorder gorebagg reveres and plays on youtube, but not as maintenance free as the $5.50 toy recorder he also demonstrates. The issue I have is probably not finger placement as much as it is breath control.

#281452 - 07/23/16 10:55 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Still, since the topic is musical instruments in survival situations, the good quality but less expensive plastic recorders and plastic comb harmonicas are probably a better choice since they are inherently more stable and require less maintenance. Too humid, too arid and the properties of wood change. Look for zero maintenance. $.02

#281453 - 07/24/16 12:19 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Russ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
If you're a beginner, you need to buy at least a "good quality" instrument. Buy something less, and you'll hamper your learning ability trying to use a piece of junk. One the other hand, buying a top-notch instrument when you don't know how to play it won't make you play it any better. You'll still sound like c^&*p! Good stores will tell you this, and guide you to an appropriate instrument for your skill/learning level.

I bought a ukulele online from The Ukulele Site ( in Hawaii - https://www.theukulelesite.com/ ) a few years ago. They were excellent in recommending me a laminate rather than solid wood uke, telling me how the dry Colorado air where I live would wreck havoc on a high end uke unless you take extra special precautions to humidify it. And they also said, I wouldn't be able to tell or appreciate the difference between reasonably-priced and expensive while I was learning. Good stores are like this (and I definitely recommend The Ukulele Site).

#281456 - 07/24/16 12:36 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Agree, if the instrument sounds awful or won't stay in tune a student will get frustrated. But there are good musical instruments which should be affordable to those on a limited budget. Just research options from the name brands. Just considering Diatonic lines there are a number of good options in harmonicas across the price spectrum. Looking at just the Hohner brand a Marine Band or Blues Harp are made in Germany and have a great rep, but then Hohner also has the Hohner Blues Band which is much less expensive but made "elsewhere". Lee Oskar is another brand with a good rep. Unless your ears are trained it probably doesn't matter. If you are on stage and getting paid it probably matters a lot.

When it comes to recorders (aka common flute) the price range is crazy. Unless I was a professional, who really needed and could play well enough to justify the expense (time & money), there is absolutely no rationale for buying anything in triple digits (wood). Wood recorders tend to be expensive to buy and are more finicky. You need to keep proper moisture levels in the wood and oil them as you would a fine piece of furniture. OTOH, there are name brand recorders that are affordable and sound great, but they are plastic. The youtube videos linked above address this issue in detail. Still, $30 for a good one, $40 for a really good one -- both will last a lifetime -- play it every day, don't play for years, doesn't matter. Stick one inside your backpack and don't be concerned.

#281467 - 07/25/16 07:56 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

This sort of stuff strikes me as "hobbies that may boost morale in an emergency." I wouldn't learn an instrument just because it is a skill that might help me get through a bug out/bug in. It's just too much work, too arduous, and too hard if you don't like it. So whoever reading this thread, don't rush out and buy a recommended beginner harmonica/recorder/whatever for the purpose of "survival."

On the other hand, if playing an instrument is already something you like, by all means go ahead. It will enrich your life, bring pleasure to those around you (if you're decent), etc. Bringing some relief during a disaster is just a bonus.

Since we have talked about coordinating with neighbors and how survival is easier if you work with others, what about some form of community music? Amateur chorus, band, orchestra, etc. Before the invention of electricity, that was one way for people to entertain themselves when professional entertainers weren't around (or were too expensive). In some sort of prolonged disaster, stuff like that may help people feel a little better.

#281468 - 07/25/16 07:57 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Since we're talking about survival, how about improvised musical instruments? Washboard, spoon, inverted buckets, pots, etc.? All these things are of value in a survival situation, too. smile

#281471 - 07/25/16 04:30 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Bingley
... "hobbies that may boost morale in an emergency." ...
Bingley's thoughts may be correct, for me this is something I've wanted to do unrelated to any survival skill aspect. My relearning a musical instrument is for me and is not intended as a morale boost -- if not for double pane windows it would probably just annoy the neighbors. Recall the string quartet in "Band of Brothers" who played while their German neighbors salvaged furniture and other items from a recently bombed town. Beethoven as I recall, but was that a dirge -- not much of a morale boost, beautiful scene though.

#281478 - 07/26/16 02:40 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
Anyone know where I can get a copy of LES STROUD'S Homeopathic Harmonica hits for the hopelessly Astray?

(Available on Arista records and tapes. . )

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.