Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#222522 - 04/29/11 10:25 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
A few more low key ideas:

1. Buy a couple of extra cans of stew, veggies or fruit every week when you're at the grocery store. Get something that's on sale and that you know you and your family will eat.

2. Fill up all the water bottles in house. It's eaay to store them already full.

3. Put an extra set of clothes into a backpack, duffle bag or suitcase - 1 complete set for everyone in the house. Throw in a jacket and pair of shoe
too if you have extras on-hand.

4. If you have a freezer and there's room, make ice.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222525 - 04/29/11 10:42 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The first step I took was to think about "What if?" Recall what have you already experienced. Start small.

Think about the power going out and staying out for a while. What does no power mean for you at home, at work, on your commute? Consider the seasons, the buildings, the vehicles, who you are going to be with and what you are going to want to do.

#222648 - 05/02/11 12:04 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio

Welcome to the new folks. I agree strongly with Read and Search. I spent at least six weeks before I even created a username taking the time to literally review every post. I reviewed them for the knowledge they contained and the tenor and tone of the conversations, which I was quite impressed with.

I was most impressed with the high degree of the presentation of facts and how many members minimize pure opinion. That was the key to what made me want to stick around.

There are some good posts in the history from members like Chris Kavanaugh and Old Bald Guy -- classics -- as are many others, before and since.

I learned so much just from those older posts, I don't even think I made anything other than a "Hello" post or two for another month, but I'm a pretty quiet type of guy. When I did make my first few posts, I received helpful, courteous feedback.

So, I would suggest settling in your most comfortable chair and start benefiting from the years of knowledge and equipment reviews available.

Again, Welcome to the forum,

buckeye

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#223171 - 05/08/11 07:13 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Water is another easy way to start -- Carrying a water bottle and storing some at your domicile...even just 2l in the fridge

#223284 - 05/10/11 01:23 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

2 lines of thought will also help greatly:

Safety first. Think ahead and try to avoid the bad stuff.

Get and stay healthy. Everything's harder when you're not healthy, especially the bad stuff.

#224605 - 05/29/11 07:33 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Given the weather; a small radio and rain jacket...

#226109 - 06/17/11 02:12 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another place to start - EDC a multi-tool or add some stuff to your keychain
( " don't leave home without it.")

#226115 - 06/17/11 02:43 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Beware the thousand pound beachball sized keychain though. It can be like wrestling an alligator! wink It seems like most of us started small, got huge and then shrunk up again (in terms of gear) as we figure out what works, what doesn't, what we need and what we don't. Even then, our daily carry and emergency supplies are ever-evolving.

#226121 - 06/17/11 03:47 PM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Stock up on stuff that doesn't go bad.

Toilet paper and paper towels are two items. If you have TP and the other guy doesn't, trade item. What is TP worth to you?

Also, soap, candles, matches, peanut butter and honey. Just a place to start.

Then - learn basic skills. See if a local Community College has classes.

#226194 - 06/20/11 12:25 AM Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good point - more than 3-4 items is enough -- after that, add another keychain. a good start

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.