Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#281398 - 07/20/16 05:15 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I can see musical instruments being very good for morale during a bugging-in situation and for that any instrument you can play or wish to learn will be a good thing -- be it a piano, cello, guitar or a set of drums. An alto sax has a nice tone and I tend toward jazz... Good entertainment & just a good way to pass time and keep your mind occupied.

In a bugging-out situation, the instrument naturally needs to be portable and needs to take a subordinate role to other stuff that needs to be carried. A harmonica fills the role, as does the small soprano recorder (common flute) we played in the 4th grade. I have an alto recorder that I need to learn -- it's actually a nice instrument for which I have a lot of classical sheet music. A harmonica is even smaller and possibly easier to learn to a point; to become really good takes time and lots of it -- start now. $.02

#281403 - 07/20/16 06:28 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Bingley]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Bingley
So where can I buy a tactical survival guitar? Is there like an SAS or Navy SEAL Les Paul model?

Carbon Fiber construction guitar. Not for fire but can be used for - canoe paddle, animal trap (soundhole), and defensive (club) weapon. And can be played afterwards. Might not even notice a blemish on the "road hard" finish. (Composite Acoustics Cargo travel guitar)

#281406 - 07/20/16 07:06 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Amazing! Is there no end to the stuff I learn on this forum? I just checked: there is such a thing as carbon fiber guitar, and it's black, too! Tactical!

#281407 - 07/20/16 07:44 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Several CF guitar manufacturers exist in fact.
And the guitars sound quite good. (I have 3)

The main thing from the guitarist point of view is that they are immune to humidity issues of drying out and cracking or warping.

12 string versions are marvelous as it negates the old saying about 12 strings never being in tune. CF is very stable so temperature and humidity changes don't change the tuning.

#281415 - 07/20/16 09:22 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Russ
I can see musical instruments being very good for morale during a bugging-in situation and for that any instrument you can play or wish to learn will be a good thing -- be it a piano, cello, guitar or a set of drums. An alto sax has a nice tone and I tend toward jazz... Good entertainment & just a good way to pass time and keep your mind occupied.

In a bugging-out situation, the instrument naturally needs to be portable and needs to take a subordinate role to other stuff that needs to be carried. A harmonica fills the role, as does the small soprano recorder (common flute) we played in the 4th grade. I have an alto recorder that I need to learn -- it's actually a nice instrument for which I have a lot of classical sheet music. A harmonica is even smaller and possibly easier to learn to a point; to become really good takes time and lots of it -- start now. $.02

The harmonica does require a fair amount of practice to become proficient with. For snorts and giggles, I've made a list of instruments that can be stuck inside of pack or pocket without taking up too much room and are tough enough for the road:

1) Harmonica - takes a lot of practice to become good enough to want to listen to, and relatively vulnerable to contamination. Diminutive size and ability to solo makes it a classic travel companion. Buy a hard case to protect it. Expect to pay $25-$50 for a decent harp.

2) Various western flutes (Ocarina, Recorder, Tin whistle, Fife, Tambor, etc). They tend to have simple construction, are relatively compact, and often available in polycarbonate or other robust materials. Mountain Ocarinas makes a couple of indestructible models with an octave and a major 3rd chromatic range. Usually lines up with western semi tones. I'm leaving orchestral instruments out due to complicated linkages and a general intolerance to adverse weather.

3) Various aboriginal (Native American, Japanese Shakuhachi, Peruvian Quena, etc) flutes. Probably the most melodic sounding, but notes don't necessarily correspond to Western tones. Try not to say "I am Kane, I will help you"

4) Mbira (African thumb piano) - Often found more as a storytellers companion then as a stand alone musical instrument. If you're a good storyteller, expect to be invited over every time there's a power outage.

5) Jaw Harps and Kazoos - snorts and giggles. Nothing really left to say

6) Drum pads and sticks / spoons - Great way to keep yourself amused. Maybe not so much for an audience, unless you have some awesome cadences (i.e. Drumline 2002).

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281419 - 07/21/16 02:06 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
AS long as Sirius exists I'll be fine... I need to get my fill of the oldies but goodies....

Seriously, I wish I could play harmonica like Stroud. That to me would be the ideal size personal instrument.

One could experiment with crafting a flute/whistle/recorder of some sort. One of the guys on Alone season 2 crafted a blow tube that doubled as a didgeridoo.

#281421 - 07/21/16 02:15 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: ireckon]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Lately, AM talk radio is my primary means of calming me down.

Talk radio -not good for me. My blood begins to boil and roil and I start shouting at the radio when driving. smile

#281425 - 07/21/16 01:56 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

With my musical talents being what they are, a musical instrument would provide another benefit for me. I would offend anyone within hearing distance so badly that they would search me out just to destroy the noise maker. So I guess I could use it as an emergency signaling device!

#281431 - 07/21/16 07:02 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Hohner makes some 4 hole mini harps. Model 38 IIRC

Thanks so much, Mark!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281433 - 07/21/16 07:29 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hohner Mod 38 mini harp A similar model comes with a keychain... But compare that harp price-wise with a 10 hole Hohner 1501BX Blues Band Maybe size does matter wink

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.