Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#281294 - 07/10/16 09:27 PM Re: Zombies [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
... do is to see a large crowd, sense the potential for unpleasantness, and depart without delay. I strongly encourage everyone to avoid protests of any variety.

Patrick Van Horne writes extensively about reading people and crowds in Left of Bang. He calls it Combat Profiling, as opposed to reading body language in an interview.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281295 - 07/10/16 10:10 PM Re: Zombies [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Patrick Van Horne writes extensively about reading people and crowds in Left of Bang. He calls it Combat Profiling, as opposed to reading body language in an interview.

This book has been on my list to read for some time, I think I will bump it nearer to the top of the stack.

#281298 - 07/11/16 12:01 AM Re: Zombies [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Do we have a recommended reading list for conflict-oriented stuff? I got Rory Miller's Conflict Communication from this forum. What are some other works that you like?

#281302 - 07/11/16 06:17 PM Re: Zombies [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Having read Rory's and Patrick's books, and having some experience at such things, I highly recommend them both. Rory has multiple books, but "Facing Violence" and "Conflict Communications" are the most applicable for this.

There are many books on the subject, and most are so basic and incomplete that they are not useful. One other I do recommend is Pat McNamara's "Sentinel". It talks a lot about being prepared as well as reacting. (disclaimer: I have known McNamara personally for about 30 years and consider him a friend. However, my recommendation is an objective one).

#281334 - 07/12/16 11:42 PM Re: Zombies [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Not really a conflict book, But Amanda Ripley's "Unthinkable" focuses on people's actions during crises. Why some freeze, panic, run, or rise to the occasion.

I have yet to read them, but Dave Grossman's "On Combat" and "On Killing" examine the psychological costs and coping mechanisms of conflict.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281335 - 07/13/16 01:19 AM Re: Zombies [Re: chaosmagnet]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
If you can't stay out of places where riots are more likely, or if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when you would otherwise normally be far from harm,

"Chance favors the prepared mind"

"You rolls the dice, and you takes your chances"

"Speak softly, and carry a big stick"

"I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you"

"Everybody gotta die sometime, Red"

Just some philosophical quotes to consider in such a situation.

#281376 - 07/18/16 10:40 AM Re: Zombies [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MedB Offline

Few things in this world frighten me more than the mob mentality. Mobs are unpredictable, indescriminate, cannot be reasoned with and potentially deadly in any number of ways...

Even if you appear to blend in, the simplest trigger like being jostled by the person next to you or being seen trying to exit the area might earn the stereotypical finger point and "here's one get `em" reaction. Just ask the truck driver in LA.

The sheer physical press of a stampeding mob can be even more deadly, even if originally peaceful. Just ask the families of the 96 at Hillsborough.

Even the response from law enforcement can turn deadly, even if not meant to be so. Beyond stray rounds or tanks rolling over protestors, law enforcement intervention also runs the risk of agitating or stampeding the mob (see above).

So I tell you unashamedly that few things frighten me more than a potential mob scene. We avoid black Friday mass shopping mobs, and have to think hard about certain live sporting events. Even in theaters we tend to locate exits and place ourselves near them just in case. We are not hermits by any means and fully engage with the world today. But we try to be hyper aware of potential mob scenes.

Best advice for riots/mobs...? Don't be there.

Edited by MedB (07/18/16 10:48 AM)
Edit Reason: Grammar

#281377 - 07/18/16 06:00 PM Re: Zombies [Re: MedB]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

That truck driver in Los Angeles did occur to me, but I was thinking more of the social media brouhaha that follows every major event. There always seem to be a number of innocent people drawn into the fray by reason of the clothes they were wearing, the attacker(s) perceived motivation, or a prominent twitter member making an unfortunate post.

#281378 - 07/18/16 11:54 PM Re: Zombies [Re: Mark_R]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
Reginald Denny. . .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.