Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#281132 - 06/17/16 12:28 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Rather than having to go on a shopping trip(s) on arrival, and since you have a couple of days, you might want to consider putting together a package of prohibited/questionable/other items and shipping it to your destination, and ship it back again prior to your return.

This may also allow you to travel with just a carry-on, and not have to deal with checked bag(s).

#281135 - 06/17/16 01:44 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bws48]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: bws48
Rather than having to go on a shopping trip(s) on arrival, and since you have a couple of days, you might want to consider putting together a package of prohibited/questionable/other items and shipping it to your destination, and ship it back again prior to your return.

This may also allow you to travel with just a carry-on, and not have to deal with checked bag(s).

Ditto, bws48.

Twenty years ago, after one too many debacles with airlines and lost luggage, I got in the habit of Fed-Exing my luggage -- especially any must-haves. If you Fed Ex, then you don't have to buy gear at your destination. And throw in the FedEx box anything you would have checked-in at the airport that you absolutely must have at your destination.

Another advantage of Fed-Ex is that you can insure it for full value. Bonus: the airport is so much less hassle when you're only bringing carry-on.

Good luck with your journey and condolences on your loss.

#281141 - 06/17/16 06:42 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Ditto, bws48.

Twenty years ago, after one too many debacles with airlines and lost luggage, I got in the habit of Fed-Exing my luggage -- especially any must-haves. If you Fed Ex, then you don't have to buy gear at your destination. And throw in the FedEx box anything you would have checked-in at the airport that you absolutely must have at your destination.

Another advantage of Fed-Ex is that you can insure it for full value. Bonus: the airport is so much less hassle when you're only bringing carry-on.

Good luck with your journey and condolences on your loss.

Thank you both. Can you tell that I rarely travel by plane yet. shocked

I'm going with my mom, who is in her late 60s, with borderline diabetes, a wonky heart, failing eyesight and can't walk very far. We just confirmed our flights. We added two days to the trip for a little down-time, but we've got a connector through Edmonton (?!) on the trip out. And we're now staying in a motel instead of with relatives. That changes my plans a little bit.

After checking the Fed EX/UPS and Purolator prices, I'm going to check a bag with clothes and toiletries. I'm not going to check anything valuable, but am considering sending a knife and multi-tool ahead of time.

I want essential items in my carry-on in case my checked bag gets lost or delayed, and in case we somehow end up in a local emergency or stranded at the airport. I've got a backpack that meets the allowable dimensions, and I'm playing with packing it now. My modified EDC purse went in first, then I added:

-a GI canteen kit (empty, minus fuel tabs, plus 10 MicroPUR tabs)
-a packable light anorak jacket
-a rip-stop GI poncho
-silk sleeping bag liner
-a pair of socks, underwear, bra, shirt and pants
-travel sized deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, an a small bar of soap
-an extra package of baby wipes, a small bottle of Purelle and an extra bandana
-camera, extra memory cards and charging cables
-MP3 player/FM radio, head phones, speaker and charging cord
-my small laptop and charging cable
-2 granola bars, 1 MRE meal, 2 packs of instant oatmeal, 2 instant hot chocolates, 4 instant 2-in-1 coffees, 4 Emergeny C drinks, an MRE package of peanut butter, and 2 MRE condiment/utensil packs
-map case with boarding passes, ID, some print-outs local maps, compass, whistle and LED, all on a lanyard

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281143 - 06/17/16 08:17 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
If you do send something (by whatever means) include a self-addressed return envelope with what you send. Will make it easier sending it back to yourself.

And remember, that if you don't send anything and choose to buy locally, you will still need to send it back to yourself, or abandon it there. . .

#281147 - 06/17/16 10:22 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bws48]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you do send something (by whatever means) include a self-addressed return envelope with what you send. Will make it easier sending it back to yourself.

And remember, that if you don't send anything and choose to buy locally, you will still need to send it back to yourself, or abandon it there. . .

Thanks BWS! That's a good idea that I wouldn't have thought about. I'll probably hand them down to my two nephews before I leave. wink

#281182 - 06/20/16 02:21 AM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
We just confirmed our flights. We added two days to the trip for a little down-time, but we've got a connector through Edmonton (?!) on the trip out. And we're now staying in a motel instead of with relatives. That changes my plans a little bit.

Yep, welcome to Saskatchewan! About half of the flights going to Toronto from here connect through either Calgary or Edmonton (WestJet or A/C) then east. We wave down at our homes as we fly back over them. A bit silly, but then again Calgary is WestJet's home so we play by their rules. At least they don't charge us more for the "privilege" of more air time.

#281183 - 06/20/16 03:55 AM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Only in Canada! LOL! I've actually never flown to or through Edmonton before!! Only over. wink I grew up a Gretzky and Oilers fan though, even in the heart of Leafs-Canadiens territory. And then I did a spell in Canuckville, and drank the Kool-aid there, but never so much as to let go of my beloved Gretzky Oilers. wink I'm going to get souvenirs. Maybe it'll spark something in my kids. wink I've driven through Ab, spent some time in Calgary a few times, but never been to the Edmonton Mall. God bless my parents, for skipping stuff they had no interest in doing with their kids. LOL!!!

Edited by bacpacjac (06/20/16 04:03 AM)

#281185 - 06/20/16 09:53 AM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
Herman30 Online   content
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I grew up a Gretzky and Oilers fan though,

Then you are surely familiar with my countryman Jari Kurri? smile

#281186 - 06/20/16 01:38 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: Herman30]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Kurri was one of the best! The two of them together was pure magic, Herman!

#281187 - 06/20/16 07:28 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Depending on the runway, you'll be flying right past my house. Have the pilot dip the wings, will ya? grin

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.