Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#281152 - 06/18/16 04:20 AM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: dougwalkabout]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Pistols are not part of the equation here. The options are bushwhacking in dense northern scrub with a full-length rifle/shotgun, carrying bear spray / bear bangers, or taking nothing at all.

Is that due to legal issues? Are handguns verboten there? There are several wheelguns with power that rival rifles and shotguns. A .500 S&W or .454 Casull will flatten even pretty big bears.

#281153 - 06/18/16 05:16 AM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Since you asked, the laws north of the Medicine Line are indeed quite different from what our American cousins are used to. (Please, let's stay away from politics.)

A license is required to own firearms and purchase ammunition.

Firearms with barrels shorter than approx. 18.5" and overall length less than 26" are restricted. This includes handguns and shorter carbines/shotguns, and the process for applying for the restricted class license is quite involved. Transporting them anywhere is heavily limited (typically home to gun club range only). It is possible for someone to apply for a license to carry a restricted firearm, but only for their work (e.g., armoured car guard, bear biologist).

Semi-autos are permitted, but are limited to 5-round magazines (except rimfires).

Realistically, someone supplementing their income by picking mushrooms won't be spending money on fancy guns. They would take, if anything, the common centre-fire hunting rifle or shotgun.

#281155 - 06/18/16 03:21 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'll just bring a guard bear. That worked for the mushroom picking woman. Moreover, if we have the right to bear arms, perhaps we also have the right to arm bears...

#281157 - 06/18/16 07:53 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Back to the OP -- I can't help but think of "moving between mama bear and cub with a dog at your side" as a pretty desperate gambit. It could have gone the other way -- injured by angry bear, dog dead, finished by starving wolf. But I wasn't there.

Anyway, glad she made it out okay.

#281158 - 06/18/16 08:55 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Maybe those who know more about wildlife behavior can answer the question: do wolves not know about bears??? Or maybe the wolf was just so hungry that it was willing to risk the wrath of a much bigger animal?

#281159 - 06/18/16 10:07 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Wolf and bear? Um, exactly what kind of mushrooms were they?

#281160 - 06/18/16 10:36 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: JeffMc]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JeffMc
Wolf and bear? Um, exactly what kind of mushrooms were they?

Inside voice, Jeff! Inside voice! (Kidding!) The internet commentariat are way ahead of you. wink

Harvesting morels and chanterelles is a big seasonal industry. If the animals were wearing Hawaiian shirts and communicating telepathically, then there might be more "magic" involved.

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/18/16 10:39 PM)

#281164 - 06/19/16 05:53 AM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Doug. Stateside the laws are a crazy-quilt patchwork of wildly varying regulations. In my home state of SD you can have virtually anything and carry it almost everywhere. But outside of the Black Hills there are very few dangerous wild animals, and almost no big ones. Plenty of rattlesnakes but they're best dealt with by leaving them alone. Having been around black bears quite a bit (mostly during my fishing trips to Canada and seeing them in SD) I would feel relatively confident with just a 9mm. But obviously if Grizzly Bears are involved that isn't very much gun. I would have little fear of facing a wolf with a 9mm.

It does seem to me that bear spray is quite effective against bears but not very effective against canines. IIRC they have different receptors and many dogs and wild canines aren't deterred by OC (which seems to have been the case in some stories referenced).

#281167 - 06/19/16 01:42 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
So, is there some chemical means which is effective against canines?

#281179 - 06/19/16 09:52 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm not sure. It does seem like some OC spray works on some dogs, if it's really strong. But aggressive dogs will sometimes become even more aggressive when sprayed. An experiment with police dogs showed that some of them will bite and fight even harder after half a can of spray hits them!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.