Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#281103 - 06/16/16 06:22 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd drop the stove and cookpot. You may carry a lighter on board, last I checked.

#281104 - 06/16/16 07:22 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Matches as well, as long as they are not the "strike anywhere" kind.

#281105 - 06/16/16 07:49 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Here are the things that TSA might give you trouble over

*1L platypus (must be empty at the checkpoint)
*Ferro rod - Scraper may be confiscated as knife, and ferro rod may/may not make it through as it's a potential fire hazard. One conventional lighter (non-torch) or one book of safety matches is OK. You could probably get waterproof matches through, but the big lifeboat are probably prohibited.
*Chemical body/hand warmers - May be confiscated as potential fire hazard. Probably viewed in same light as sterno cans.
*Hard case with prescription glasses, clip-on sunglasses and mini screwdriver - screwdriver = pointy object. Just because it's allowed in the rules, doesn't mean it'll make it past the checkpoint. The smurfs confiscated my Wife's embroidery scissors (3" overall all length) because they had a point, but let nearly foot long knitting needles through.
*Esbit stove and fuel tabs (Not sure if Esbit tabs are TSA approved) - Tabs are potential fire hazard. Definite no go. Stove, if used, may be prohibited because of fear of tab residue
*SOL mini fishing kit + safety pins - Fishing hooks = potential weapon depending on size.
*Bug spray, sunscreen - Subject to TSA 3-1-1 liquids policy

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=fish%20hook%20(small)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281106 - 06/16/16 08:07 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Bacpac:

As your are on a flight originating in Canada, TSA screening procedures do not apply, regardless if your flight overflies part of the USA.

catsa.gc.ca has their own specified lists which also specifically says: The above list includes permitted and non-permitted items for flights originating in Canada.

Complete list of allowed /banned items: What can I bring list

You should contact them directly if you have any questions. In the past, I have found them very friendly and helpful in answering any questions on items that may be prohibited.

John Lubbock

#281108 - 06/16/16 09:47 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
You guys are the best! Thank you so much!!

That CATSA list gave me some relief. BIC/Zippo, matches, scissors, nail files, nail clippers, bug spray and sunscreen are allowed, and have been added to my kit. Paramedic shears/penny cutters seem to comply too, so I've added a pair of those too. smile

I had some "Ug!" moments. Absolutely no knives or Esbit tabs, and "Flints" are not allowed either, which I take to mean no ferro rods. All have been removed from my kit. I can pick-up something up once I'm on the ground to replace these.

It also gave me some giggles. Did you know that you can't take bombs or contraband on domestic flights?! I could take my hockey skates on my carry-on if I wanted to though. LOL

Teacher, I agree about the cook pot. It's not necessary for this trip. I'm not planning to cook on my hike, and my metal water bottle will do the trick for making water potable or for a little brew up. If there's a local emergency of some sort, I will be staying with relatives so could easily grab a pot, and more, if we have to relocate. smile

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281111 - 06/16/16 09:59 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

On another note: If anyone is familiar with Saskatoon trails, I'd love a recommendation for a short loop day hike. smile

#281112 - 06/16/16 10:02 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I do know from experience that P38 can openers are allowed. I carry 1 in my wallet and have not had any problems with the TSA!

If you don't have one, PM me ane we will mail you some ASAP! I'll even tell why I keep so many on hand!

Edited by wildman800 (06/16/16 10:03 PM)

#281113 - 06/16/16 10:06 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Here are the things that TSA might give you trouble over

*1L platypus (must be empty at the checkpoint)

- I can carry-on 100 mL, which is probably what I'll do, in my KK. The platypus stay folding up empty in my purse for emergency use with microPUR tabs.

*Ferro rod - Scraper may be confiscated as knife, and ferro rod may/may not make it through as it's a potential fire hazard. One conventional lighter (non-torch) or one book of safety matches is OK. You could probably get waterproof matches through, but the big lifeboat are probably prohibited.

-You're right on both. I can carry a non-refillable disposable lighter and one book of safety matches, for personal use. I read it as a regular book of matches, so ditched my storm-proof matches and Ronson jet lighter and added a regular book of matches.

*Chemical body/hand warmers - May be confiscated as potential fire hazard. Probably viewed in same light as sterno cans.

-I hadn't considered this, and you are right. Thanks!

*Hard case with prescription glasses, clip-on sunglasses and mini screwdriver - screwdriver = pointy object. Just because it's allowed in the rules, doesn't mean it'll make it past the checkpoint. The smurfs confiscated my Wife's embroidery scissors (3" overall all length) because they had a point, but let nearly foot long knitting needles through.

-Doh! Better safe than sorry, so I took out the screwdriver.

*Esbit stove and fuel tabs (Not sure if Esbit tabs are TSA approved) - Tabs are potential fire hazard. Definite no go. Stove, if used, may be prohibited because of fear of tab residue

-Agreed. I ditched it all. I can make an alcohol stove when I'm there if I think I need one.

*SOL mini fishing kit + safety pins - Fishing hooks = potential weapon depending on size.

-I think I'm ok, but ditched it anyway, just to be sure.

*Bug spray, sunscreen - Subject to TSA 3-1-1 liquids policy

-Right again. Small containers are allowed, so have been added.

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=fish%20hook%20(small)

Much appreciated, one and all!!

#281114 - 06/16/16 10:12 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: wildman800]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: wildman800
I do know from experience that P38 can openers are allowed. I carry 1 in my wallet and have not had any problems with the TSA!

If you don't have one, PM me and we will mail you some ASAP! I'll even tell why I keep so many on hand!

Wicked! That would be cool, wildman! Why so many????

I had one once upon a time, but I think backpackboy took it and ditched it when he got frustrated with it trying to open a can of beans. I haven't seen it since that trip. LOL! I loved that little thing! Mine had a little spoon thingy on the end, thought I thought was the bomb! I used mine to scrape tinder. Not entirely without frustration, but it worked!!

I think I'm going pick-up a cheap multi-tool when I land, and shore it up with a nice little folder or neck knife. I can mail them back home to myself when I'm done, or gift them to my older nephews.

#281115 - 06/16/16 10:14 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: gonewiththewind]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero
Matches as well, as long as they are not the "strike anywhere" kind.

The Canadian rules are similar. They say I can carry 1 book of safety matches on my person. Not sure what exactly that means, but I removed my storm-proof matches and added a book of matches out of an MRE.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.