Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#281116 - 06/16/16 10:20 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: Hanscom]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hanscom
There are a number of bladeless multitools available, but I would not bet on being allowed to take one aboard. Perhaps if you get a screener who has been authorized to think, but....

Bladeless Leatherman Rebar: http://www.leatherman.com/knifeless-rebar-465.html#start=23

I might have to get a divorce if I came home with one of those, Hanscom. LOL! I've added paramedic shears, and I'm probably going to buy a nice little folder or neck knife, as well as a cheap multi-tool, when I arrive. Nothing fancy, but a nice little blade and something with some screwdrivers, knife, saw, pliers, etc. I've got newphews who are Cubs & Scouts age, and it would be a fun addition to their kits when I'm done with them. Heck! Maybe I'd love to figure out a way to take them for a nature walk, too, while I'm there. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281117 - 06/16/16 10:21 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: gonewiththewind]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero
Condolences BPJ. Travel Safe.

EMT shears have always been allowed on a plane in my experience, but check to make sure.

Done. Thank you so much, Montanero! It's going to be a rough week. A little green therapy will help. wink

#281118 - 06/16/16 10:27 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Re knife source:

I see there is now a Peavey Mart (a Western Canadian country hardware store chain) in Saskatoon, close to the airport.

They usually carry the basic carbon-steel Mora for $9.99 + tax. Best deal around. You could even call ahead to check stock.

You've just made me such a happy woman, Doug! Thank you so much! Moras are hard to come by around here, and I'd love another one! I sense a little shopping spree coming on when my flights lands. In fact, I think I'll call them tonight! laugh

#281119 - 06/16/16 10:28 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Perhaps you can have the Esbit stove (check the rules!), but fuel of any sort is definitely no-no for carry-on. After you arrive at your destination, perhaps you can head to an outdoor shop and get a Mora and some fuel tablets.

The ziplock bag is a great idea.

You should be able to take on board with you a knife-less multitool. I recommend that you open all the tools like an octopus for inspection. You may still have to explain there is no knife and thus is permissible.

Also, check the local law at your destination about carrying a knife.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Great advice, Bingley. I'll be following all of it. Thanks so much!

#281122 - 06/17/16 01:52 AM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
TSA rules don't apply but because airlines fly all over the place, most countries have commonized their own rules to be very similar to the US.

I've travelled with ferro rods and tinder-quiks all the time in Canada and never even been questioned on them. Even if they did spot them and remove them from my gear, I have plenty more.

I pack a small 5oz. FAK and a modified DR AMK 4oz. survival kit in my day pack. I take out the sharps (usually! the last time out I had forgotten the scalpel blade and safety pins in there and they still passed). You can carry a Bic style lighter but not a refillable one. You can carry 1 book of matches. Charcoal hand warmers are out.

Pots and wood stoves shouldn't be a problem, ever. Anything with a chemical or alcohol smell though is another story. You make alcohol stoves at your destination and buy alcohol (methyl hydrate) from Canadian Tire, Peavey Mart, etc. This is summer time. You can check fire hazards maps here: Fire Map and SaskParks can tell you about any local fire restrictions. Sask Provincial Parks Occasionally they will have open fire restrictions.

For some reason, I always get selected for additional screening (supposed to be random 1 out of every 10 passengers) and opt for the pat down instead of the "i see you neked" x-ray viewer. YMMV.

Wanuskewin Heritage Park on the edge of the city is a must visit. Wanuskewin
Check out this website for dayhikes in the Saskatoon area: Sask Hiker
A local blogger put together a neat data base of hiking trails and fishing spots: Andy Goodson; His Blog

Knives shouldn't be a problem for hiking. I EDC a Sypderco Tenacious and is visible on my pants. However, you don't want to carry a camping style knife on the street. The local community is antsy about knives because the Indian gangs carry everything from switchblades to cheap machetes and have passed by-laws against such. They are already illegal but what the heck - passing a law to make them 2x illegal makes some people feel safer. There is no length limit in Canada, cops have told me several times but local by-laws are different.

#281123 - 06/17/16 02:14 AM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: Roarmeister]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
IIRC scissors are in general good to go. I really like EMT shears but I prefer to EDC Foldaway Scissors. Drop them in your pocket and don't worry about the points or edges. If you need scissors they open quickly. Good scissors too.

#281124 - 06/17/16 02:35 AM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks so much, Roar. You ROCK!! I was hoping you'd chime in with some good local tips! Much appreciated!

I was just reading about Wanuskewin Heritage Park and it sounds like a must see. The last time I was in SK, I heard about it but I didn't have time to visit. I'm working in an extra day on this trip and I think this is going to be at the top of my list of things I want to do with it. wink

#281125 - 06/17/16 02:37 AM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
IIRC scissors are in general good to go. I really like EMT shears but I prefer to EDC Foldaway Scissors. Drop them in your pocket and don't worry about the points or edges. If you need scissors they open quickly. Good scissors too.

I have a pair similar to those in a little sewing kit that lives in my hygiene kit, Russ. smile Thanks for the reminder!

#281129 - 06/17/16 11:49 AM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The pointed scissors are probably not a good idea. They may make it through, but if they are hand checked they will not. The TSA specifically prohibits anything that is pointed or sharp, leaving them much room for interpretation. I have had a TSA agent even try to poke his hand with my EMT shears, just to show himself that they were not too pointy.

I have also had a discussion about the UCO stormproof matches. They made it, but I had to show the agent that they required a striker pad to ignite.

As for tinder, cotton balls and petroleum jelly can go, but you may want to keep them unmixed for the flight. A small tube of jelly used for lips will make it easily enough.

I like small saws for survival kits, but the last time I flew I noticed they had banned all saws. They used to not be a problem. You may want to check.

#281130 - 06/17/16 12:20 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: gonewiththewind]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Montenaro! The last time I flew, the agent was quite concerned about my nail clippers with little nail file. (I didn't actually remember they were in my kit.) Same deal. Poke. Nope. Poke. Nope. Poke. Nope. "Hey John! I got another one. Come and check this out." Poke. Nope. Poke. Nope. Poke. Nope. "Ok, you can take it, but be more careful next time, ok?" "Thank you for keeping us same, ma'am."

It's a good thing I have a few days to pack! LOL! I am going to check a bag, so I can take a little more, but I don't want to risk losing the stuff in the bag, so I'm still planning on keeping key stuff in my carry-on.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.