Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#281093 - 06/16/16 02:47 PM A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack!
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
There's been a death in the family, so I am getting on a plane in a few days and heading to Saskatoon. I've got two considerations that I could use your help with. First, I am a bit of a nervous flyer so I want to bring some preps with me on the flight, and secondly, I want to go for a day hike while I'm out there and need to feel prepared for that.

It's been a long time since I've flown, and I'm not sure what's TSA approved or not anymore. I suspect I'll have a checked bag, but would prefer to go with just a carry on. I will be carrying my EDC purse, but realize that I'll have to make some adjustments to it, like removing my sharps and lighter. (Here's a little video showing the usual purse contents. I plan to buy a new knife and BIC after the flight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjmIU6SlepQ. Skip to 2:18 to miss the babbling mom stuff.)

Despite being in the prairies, Saskatchewan has a wealth of lakes and trails, and I'm hoping to sneak out for a hike at some point while I'm out there.

So, how to be prepared for this trip? Can you help me pack my bag? Here's what I'm thinking of in terms of my purse, which will double as my day hike bag for this trip. I'll have a jacket and some sweater of some sort with me, and plan to wear my hiking boots, so I will be dressed appropriately for the weather and adventure.

MODIFIED PURSE CONTENTS

Wallet (cash, coins, bank cards, ID, emerg contact info, local relatives contact info, etc.)
whistle
flashlight/headlamp + extra batteries
signal mirror
bandana
Kleen Kanteen + MicroPUR tabs
metal cup/cook pot
1L platypus
ferro rod
Heat Sheets X 2
paracord + jute twine
fleece beanie
silk liner gloves
baby wipes
emergency poncho
extra pair of socks
chemical body/hand warmers
Hard case with prescription glasses, clip-on sunglasses and mini screwdriver
duct tape
pen, Sharpie, pencil
note pad
deck of cards
hair elastic
hankie/kleenex
ziplock bags
garbage bags
clif bar/candy/instant drinks
Esbit stove and fuel tabs (Not sure if Esbit tabs are TSA approved)
compass and map case *Maps will be picked-out when I'm out there, but I am researching ahead of time, and will bring a something with me.
Camera, memory cards, charging cables

FAK:
cough drops
lip balm
sunscreen
bug juice
bandaids
gauze
polysporin
purelle
prep pads
pads and tampons
plastic gloves
OTC meds (Advil/Aleve, Tylenol, gravol, benedryl, immodium)
SOL mini fishing kit + safety pins
hard candy/sugar

AS I said, I'll purchase a knife and lighter once I am on the ground. Ditto local trail maps. I also don't have a cel phone or PLB of any sort at the moment, but I think they are vital for this trip. A cheap pay as you go cel phone is going to be purchased in a few days, once I'm certain of which carrier is best for use out there.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

EDIT to add: Additionally, I will use a backpack for my carry-on, which I can then use on my hike to carry my purse, as well as extra water, jacket, sweater, bug spray, sunscreen, etc... And, not knowing the weather patterns out there, I plan to wear layered clothes, and leave enough room in the pack to stuff them in there if I get too hot and sweaty. wink I also always have a hat and sunglasses with me, usually on the old noggin.

Edited by bacpacjac (06/16/16 03:24 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281094 - 06/16/16 03:38 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm going for a few days, and there is a funeral, so the above isn't all I'm taking. (Not to mention that I have to consider the forest fires out West. I'm also thinking about being stuck in a bigger emergency.)

I will be packing a good book, hygiene kit, extra clothes, an MP3/FM radio, extra flashlight and batteries, laptop, food & drink for a couple of days (dehydrated and instant.) I'm also going to try to pack my poncho and woobie. wink

#281095 - 06/16/16 03:53 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
So sorry about the family bereavement.

First, a really silly question. It appears that your flight will be strictly in Canada, so, do domestic Canadian flights observe USA TSA rules?

If TSA applies, here is a site the TSA has with lists for various items: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items. I took a quick look at your video, and the only things I noted was the stove---anything flammable might be a problem, e.g. the esbit tabs, and leatherman and SAK. Remember, liquids, including creams and gels and pastes have their own limits. Another helpful site: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

Also, airlines have their own restrictions, so check with them, in particular size/weight for carry on and checked bags. These do vary with airline and type of aircraft and ticket class.

#281096 - 06/16/16 04:00 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bws48]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks bws48! A lot of our domestic flights fly over the US so the TSA rules may apply. I don't really know, but I'd hate to arrive for the flight and have to start dumping stuff.

Great advice! I really appreciate it!!

#281097 - 06/16/16 04:10 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

There are a number of bladeless multitools available, but I would not bet on being allowed to take one aboard. Perhaps if you get a screener who has been authorized to think, but....

Bladeless Leatherman Rebar: http://www.leatherman.com/knifeless-rebar-465.html#start=23

#281098 - 06/16/16 04:22 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Start with the official Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) website.

The comprehensive list of items allowed and prohibited is here: http://www.catsa.gc.ca/complete-item-list

A search function is provided here: http://www.catsa.gc.ca/whatcanIbring

I don't like flying either. Mostly, though, it's clothing and footwear that will get you off the plane in one piece.

Provided you stay below the maximum length (described on the site), you are allowed to bring paramedic shears and small needle-nose pliers in your carry-on. I have also carried a braided wire saw, though not recently. One Bic lighter is permitted.

Ferro rods are sometimes confiscated (some screeners are unclear on the rules, probably because some ferro's have a sharp metal striker).

Ditch the esbit stove and fuel tabs.

Bug juice will be part of your maximum liquids allowed.

I strongly suggest putting any "items of interest" in a ziploc bag and placing it separately in the tray. This speeds up screening immensely. Otherwise they have to dig through your entire bag.

P.S., Sorry for your loss.

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/16/16 04:33 PM)

#281099 - 06/16/16 05:06 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks so much, Doug. This is super helpful. Much appreciated!

#281100 - 06/16/16 05:23 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Condolences BPJ. Travel Safe.

EMT shears have always been allowed on a plane in my experience, but check to make sure.

#281101 - 06/16/16 05:45 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Perhaps you can have the Esbit stove (check the rules!), but fuel of any sort is definitely no-no for carry-on. After you arrive at your destination, perhaps you can head to an outdoor shop and get a Mora and some fuel tablets.

The ziplock bag is a great idea.

You should be able to take on board with you a knife-less multitool. I recommend that you open all the tools like an octopus for inspection. You may still have to explain there is no knife and thus is permissible.

Also, check the local law at your destination about carrying a knife.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

#281102 - 06/16/16 06:22 PM Re: A Flight and a Hike - Please help me pack! [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re knife source:

I see there is now a Peavey Mart (a Western Canadian country hardware store chain) in Saskatoon, close to the airport.

They usually carry the basic carbon-steel Mora for $9.99 + tax. Best deal around. You could even call ahead to check stock.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.