The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#281077 - 06/15/16 11:45 PM Beer can and bears save mushroom picker
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
A rather unusual survival story with a good outcome. This person made some mistakes of not being prepared but used some very good judgement to ward off a wolf that stalked her for 12 hours.

What's the best way to fend off a wolf that's stalking you? Bait it with a bear cub, of course.

It sounds incredible, but that's exactly what Joanne Barnaby did when she got into a terrifying situation while out picking morel mushrooms near Fort Smith, N.W.T., last Friday.

Barnaby and her friend Tammy Caudron headed out to an area burned by wildfires to spend an hour or two searching for the elusive morels. They soon became separated, leaving Barnaby alone with her loyal dog, Joey.

Once her pail was full of mushrooms, she turned to head back toward her truck.

Fort Smith Yellowknife map
Joanne Barnaby was mushroom picking when she got separated from her friend near Fort Smith, N.W.T. (CBC)

"I heard this growl behind me. There was a long, tall, very, very skinny wolf. A black wolf. And his legs were spread and his hair was standing, and he was growling, and baring his teeth."

Complete story here

John Lubbock

#281089 - 06/16/16 12:22 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Holy, bear poop! What a tale! I'm not sure I'd even think of that, nevermind consider trying it. Not getting getting mama bear and her cubs is the usual wisdom. Thank goodness it worked, but wow!

I wonder if she will just bring a beer next time too, or add a little more equipment other than her gun and bullets...

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281092 - 06/16/16 02:39 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Wow, that's quite the story. Interesting how she describes the effects of extended stress, dehydration, and mass-formation mosquito attacks -- almost a delirium state, ending with a strong determination to live.

The takeaway, of course, is "bring more beer and guns when picking mushrooms." whistle

#281127 - 06/17/16 06:02 AM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
No danged way I would be going unarmed in that area! I don't even go unarmed in the relatively mild forests of my own area, and we don't have much in the way of dangerous four legged animals (although mountain lions aren't unheard of in the western part of the state).

#281134 - 06/17/16 01:39 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A gun would certainly be way better than nothing, but a can of bear spray would be my first choice (that, and some mosquito repellent). I dare say bear spray would work on a wolf as well.

#281136 - 06/17/16 04:18 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Up there, a gun means a rifle or shotgun, which is darn awkward when you're bushwhacking. I can understand the decision to leave it behind. Bear spray would be a reasonable compromise -- certainly better than nothing.

Aside: In the more populated (southern) areas of Canada, the RCMP are concerned when people carry rifles/shotguns in their vehicles (though it's legal if you are licensed and they are properly secured). As you go north, into the unpopulated reaches, I've been told that the RCMP are more concerned if you don't have a rifle/shotgun.

#281138 - 06/17/16 05:21 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Bear spray to deter wolves- not so much.

"At least seven wolves surrounded the three women and their dogs as they jogged on Artillery Road. The lead wolves came within feet, circling the women as they tried to get away. They were only slightly deterred by pepper spray.

“I was rainbowing my pepper spray, and they fell back a little bit,” said Camas Barkemeyer. “But as soon as we would turn our backs to try to go, they would run up on us, and we would turn around and start screaming again, and I would spray my pepper spray."

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news...near-anchorage/

The dog attacked was an American Bulldog. They can run 115 lbs.

Edited by clearwater (06/17/16 05:30 PM)

#281144 - 06/17/16 08:21 PM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

This story has too many useful insights to derail into the endless bear spray debate. We've done that one to death.

Mushroom picking is an important economic activity in many regions. You need to bushwhack to do it, and you need both hands to harvest properly.

Pistols are not part of the equation here. The options are bushwhacking in dense northern scrub with a full-length rifle/shotgun, carrying bear spray / bear bangers, or taking nothing at all.

#281148 - 06/18/16 02:21 AM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I recently picked up a Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm carbine. Very lightweight, folds up into a small package for storage or carry, and I understand it's unrestricted in Canada. While 9mm is not ideal for larger critters it's a big improvement over harsh language.

#281151 - 06/18/16 04:18 AM Re: Beer can and bears save mushroom picker [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That is surprising. I had understood that semi-autos are tightly restricted in Canada. Guess I haven't kept up much on their gun laws.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.