The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#280984 - 06/05/16 11:07 PM Window Breaker Fails 2X on FNC Fox & Friends
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I was watching Fox & Friends on the Fox News Channel this morning (Sunday, June 5, 2016). They were "tickling" an upcoming segment on breaking a car window to rescue a child or dog from a hot car.

In the quick "tickle" two representatives with SafeLite shirts tried to demonstrate breaking the side driver window with a red plastic hammer style window breaker (no mention of the brand). The first man gave the window two whacks with no luck. On the third try the head of the rescue hammer broke apart - it looked like the metal insert just broke off and fell to the ground. So a second man steps up with a second simlar rescue hammer and he tries again. On the first hit it also looked like the metal insert broke off and fell to the ground. The tickle ended with both men smiling sheepishly.

When it came time for the actual segment a woman displayed a key fob style window breaker and said it was a Resqme. She recommended applying it near one of the four corners of the driver window, saying it is the weakest part of the glass. Just one push of the Resqme and the window shattered. After that the host tried it again with the rear driver side window. One push and the window shattered.

I used to carry a hammer style tool in my truck, but a while back I switched to a Resque me fob on my key chain thinking it was easier access in a panic. I also added Resqmes to the key fobs carried by my wife, and both adult children (and have it on my tractor to cut the seat belt in case of rollover).

Those carrying hammer style window breakers may be well off to smack them hard onto a bit of scrap wood a few times - just to make sure that they'll stay together when called to use.

Ken K.

#280985 - 06/06/16 01:58 AM Re: Window Breaker Fails 2X on FNC Fox & Friends [Re: KenK]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Excellent post. Thanks for the info.

#280986 - 06/06/16 02:57 AM Re: Window Breaker Fails 2X on FNC Fox & Friends [Re: KenK]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good idea to test you gear.

#280987 - 06/06/16 07:01 AM Re: Window Breaker Fails 2X on FNC Fox & Friends [Re: KenK]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Rescue gear is like any gear, buy good quality ones.

The cheap things are like well... cheap.

Failure is not just with hammers, also the sprongloaded ones can fail. I had a resqme where the spring got loose and stopped working.

#280991 - 06/06/16 06:01 PM Re: Window Breaker Fails 2X on FNC Fox & Friends [Re: KenK]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I test our cars' resqme on newspaper or old magazines twice a year to avoid having it fail at the worst possible time.

And, yes. You get what you pay for. Tempered glass is surprisingly tough.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#280993 - 06/06/16 07:19 PM Re: Window Breaker Fails 2X on FNC Fox & Friends [Re: KenK]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: KenK
The first man gave the window two whacks with no luck. On the third try the head of the rescue hammer broke apart - it looked like the metal insert just broke off and fell to the ground.

With those hammers a whack is often a mistake. When the insert hits the window in the right angle, a flick from the wrist is enough to break tempered glass.
I still prefer the Resqme for the smaller package and option to easily carry it.

#281004 - 06/07/16 06:49 AM Re: Window Breaker Fails 2X on FNC Fox & Friends [Re: M_a_x]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Originally Posted By: KenK
The first man gave the window two whacks with no luck. On the third try the head of the rescue hammer broke apart - it looked like the metal insert just broke off and fell to the ground.

With those hammers a whack is often a mistake. When the insert hits the window in the right angle, a flick from the wrist is enough to break tempered glass.
I still prefer the Resqme for the smaller package and option to easily carry it.

Both have pro and con's.

- A propper hammer doesn't have moving parts that can break (although the cheap ones with crappy handles do break).
- Big handle is a pro when grabbing and holding it. Especially important when your hands are shaky.
- Easier to see due to size.
- Very hard to swing when under water.

- Centerpunch tools can have spring failure.
- Works way beter underwater, as water resistance is.
- The small ones can be hard to handle under stress.
- Sometimes less obvious on what it is and what to do with it. Both in identifying what it is and how to use it. People have asked me what that things was... I also saw a person hitting the glass with the back side of a resqme...

I go excessive and have 3 different options near the drivers seat...

#281013 - 06/07/16 07:45 PM Re: Window Breaker Fails 2X on FNC Fox & Friends [Re: Tjin]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Tjin

- Centerpunch tools can have spring failure.

The keychain sized ones tend to have reliability problems. Probably from plastic guts. But, the hardware store variety are, IME, very reliable. They also hit a lot harder.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281035 - 06/09/16 12:54 PM Re: Window Breaker Fails 2X on FNC Fox & Friends [Re: KenK]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
The ne'r-do-wells in the UK just use an old spark plug with the earth electrode broken off!

The reason to hit the glass in the corner is that it is better supported and thus more rigid. The middle of the pane is springy and absorbs most of the shock.

Edited by Ian (06/09/16 12:56 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.