Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#280882 - 05/31/16 12:29 AM Re: analysis of mistakes of hiker missing 27 days [Re: LED]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have a Nitecore P12 that does indeed have the SOS and beacon modes and they are actually fairly easy to access as well as two Zebralight headlamps that also have that feature; on them it is somewhat more tricky to activate. I can't say that I bought either of them for that feature specifically. I like them because they have variable light levels, long run times, and seem to be quite sturdy and dependable.

My Zebralight 502 headlamp would probably be my choice for a lamp to carry where weight was really critical. Signalling at night, if the option is available, I would probably prefer a signal fire, which would tend to conserve my batteries. I would also consider carrying my Zebralight that runs on an 18650 battery - the slight additional weight is repaid in significantly longer run time, especially at lower light levels.

The SOS/beacon feature is fairly low on my list of significant criteria in evaluating and purchasing a light.

#280883 - 05/31/16 02:49 AM Re: analysis of mistakes of hiker missing 27 days [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have a Nitecore P12...

Excellent choice! I just bought one of those for my daughter, with some 18650's (3400mAh) and charger. She just took a park ranger job that includes some light law enforcement duties (writing parking tickets and stuff like that). I wanted her to have a good flashlight with the ability to remember strobe mode, for instant access. She wanted something light weight and small for belt carry, and after research, the P12 is what I chose.

After a week on that job, she realized that she didn't like law enforcement - too many drunks, mean, aggressive people, folks were NOT happy to see her, etc. And since she was more of an auxiliary-type ranger she was not armed, making some encounters a little scary, having to radio for armed backup and hoping they'd get there in time. Luckily they were able to transfer her to a more standard "park ranger" type position, where she's explaining the flora and fauna and leading people on tours in those areas (that was what they initially told her the job would be, before dropping the law enforcement bomb on her). So it all worked out in the end.

She now wants to trade that P12 with me for my smaller inside pocket light - an Olight T15 with 14500's. I don't use that Olight much, not for years now, so it's a good trade for me (well, considering I paid for both lights, it's not much of a "trade"!)

Anyway, back to the conversation at hand - I think the P12 would make an excellent distress light for hiking. The flashing modes would have quite a bit of reach after dark, and the light would be very useful for other activities as well. You can use the lower power modes and it lasts a very long time. The Fenix PD35 is a similar light (but lacks the remember-strobe capability that I was initially after - most people probably don't want/need that however).

#280885 - 05/31/16 03:42 AM Re: analysis of mistakes of hiker missing 27 days [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I purchased the Thrunite TN12 for much the same reasons. I don't use strobe, but the Firefly, Low and Medium output levels are very useful. I've used the High and Max levels on rare occasions, it's nice to know those levels are available if need arises.

#280886 - 05/31/16 04:17 AM Re: analysis of mistakes of hiker missing 27 days [Re: WesleyH]
Robert_McCall Offline
Stranger

The irony is that if the lady knew the various things we at ETS are pointing out, she likely wouldn't have gotten in that spot to begin with. The recognition of the dangers and taking the appropriate precautions often obviate the need to exercise the skills in the first place.

#280889 - 05/31/16 08:50 AM Re: analysis of mistakes of hiker missing 27 days [Re: WesleyH]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
The most basic advice for when you think you are lost; Sit down!
might have made a difference. And if possible get out of the rain, so you can think without your head being hammered.
If as soon as she realised she wasn't sure which way the trail was, she had started shouting (if she had no whistle), that would probably have been enough.
But no one should ever be without a whistle. People have fallen in a ditch in towns and been stuck there for days because it was too noisy for a shout to be heard.
The other thread on this has degenerated into people joking about this womans death, so hopefully it won't be merged with this one. And ideally deleted.
qjs

#280890 - 05/31/16 01:04 PM Re: analysis of mistakes of hiker missing 27 days [Re: WesleyH]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My Petzl E+ light has an SOS strobe, which was one of the many reasons I bought it. A strobe light would be cool, because it could also signal for you as you sleep.

Any other passive signaling ideas, for the tired or injured? Bright coloured clothing, SOS/HELP/HELF makers on the ground, flags flapping in the wind, colourful or relfective tarp for a shelter....

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#280891 - 05/31/16 01:26 PM Re: analysis of mistakes of hiker missing 27 days [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Light a fire. Not precisely passive, but often effective. Caution: Do NOT do this if conditions are unfavorable.

Fires get attention, especially if you are in an isolated area.

Here's a paradox.If you know enough to know when and when not to light a fire, you probably know enough to not get lost in the first place, although you undoubtedly experience episodes of 'confusion.'

#280892 - 05/31/16 01:31 PM Re: analysis of mistakes of hiker missing 27 days [Re: WesleyH]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Anxiety can be very destructive and debilitating. It can all but paralyze you with vomiting, uncontrollable bowel movements, stomach pain, etc. When it's serious enough to be a medical condition, it's nothing like the comparatively minute amount of anxiety that we feel, say, before public speaking. Some people afflicted with general anxiety disorder cannot travel at all.

I'd think the deceased didn't suffer from anything that bad, but I just don't know from the brief news article I read. If she did, getting as far as she did would be quite amazing.

I guess I'm also trying to make a public service announcement -- some real illnesses like anxiety disorder are often misunderstood, and they are not a reflection of character. People afflicted with them cannot just "toughen up" and "get over it."

#280893 - 05/31/16 01:31 PM Re: analysis of mistakes of hiker missing 27 days [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've wondered whether a small helium balloon on a long tether could take a cellphone (with a text message ready to Send) up to a point where cell coverage was available... Keeping a Spot or PLB in your pack would probably be easier.

#280894 - 05/31/16 03:02 PM Re: analysis of mistakes of hiker missing 27 days [Re: WesleyH]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 214 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.