Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#277394 - 10/31/15 01:17 AM Re: Nice fire starter engineering [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The price for the Army pencil sharpener at Ģ145 ($223) is quite ridiculous!

You can get a Boker Plus Vox F3 Frame Lock Knife in Titanium ($140), a LMF Army Ferrocerium fire starter ($15), a Doan Magnesium bar ($10) and a Thrunite Titanium T10T Neutral White Torch ($55) for that and still have enough for a pint at the pub!

Here is another unusual fire starter masquerading as a bicycle, quite rare now, and I nearly did buy one all those years ago. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdU8j5ydVuI

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/31/15 01:31 AM)

#277412 - 11/01/15 03:28 PM Re: Nice fire starter engineering [Re: Alex]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'd never heard of a "bullet puller" before. I'm wondering if a Leatherman or Swiss Army can opener would do something similar. I wouldn't want to try it for fear of breaking off the blade.

In the end, money is certainly better spent on one of Doug's Personal Survival Pak's ($30 on Amazon.com) and just about any knife (for compactness I like Doug's CRKT Mk5 for just $17 on Amazon.com).

#277438 - 11/03/15 10:07 AM Re: Nice fire starter engineering [Re: Alex]
Cjoi Offline
Stranger

Loc: N Cal

I like to see videos of ideas like this one. Helps me think out of the box. Bet the ultra-light folks might derive the most benefit out of this little gizmo. Hard to justify buying two when the price of one is pretty exorbitant for most, however.

Not certain if the SurvivalResources site sells those magnesium pencil sharpeners but it might be fun to tinker around with one to come up with a DIY version.

I don't carry around a huge ferrocerium rod and striker because I don't have that much call for starting a fire going to the grocery store but after practicing a bit, I know that the little Exotac I carry would work if I needed it. Never know when an old gal might have to McGuyver something... BTW,I'm always ready with my upgraded Doug Ritter pouch, too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is no one size fits all, all of the time, some ideas are for more folks, some for less folks. Everyone has to evaluate their anticipated needs and think through what they may need, though it might not fit the needs and skills of more experienced members.

I love hearing from all the different members in their diverse circumstances and what equipment/ideas they employ; single folks, soldiers/sailors, vacationers, pilots, BacPacJac, Blast, ( I still miss Old Bald Guy, too.) I really appreciate learning from the folks, here, even though I rarely have anything to contribute. Oh, it doesn't hurt to love gizmos and gadgets, either.

#280781 - 05/26/16 08:49 AM Re: Nice fire starter engineering [Re: ireckon]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
"People will buy it. . "

No doubt, especially if it has Bear Grylls name and some orange on it. . .

(Couldn't resist. . .sorry)

#280788 - 05/26/16 03:07 PM Re: Nice fire starter engineering [Re: Alex]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I may be a sucker, and I have no idea what a bullet puller is, nor do I think I need one, but I'd buy it - if the price point was a whole lot less. It's a nifty bit of engineering. Looks like a nice little package to carry a few last ditch fire starting options.

Remember our Tuxedo/Evening Gown EDC discussions? This could be a good option for some.

I don't fly, but I wonder if it's TSA approved?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#280792 - 05/26/16 04:13 PM Re: Nice fire starter engineering [Re: bacpacjac]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
A bullet puller is a device to help remove a bullet from a round. You stick the bullet in the hole and start levering with the case unil the bullet comes loose. With a .223 rifle round you will get gunpowder in the vicinity of 30 grs.
If you want to buy something like that, you might try sharpeners for bigger pencils or a cone shaper for arrows with wooden shafts. Thatīs much cheaper even if you need to buy and glue on a ferrocerium rod.

#280794 - 05/26/16 04:21 PM Re: Nice fire starter engineering [Re: M_a_x]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This toy just proves that not all useless gadgets are cheap. Some are outrageously expensive, even though they are not likely to perform as well as much cheaper, better performing options.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.