Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#280715 - 05/18/16 11:36 PM The Belt of My Dreams
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Manuacturer's website: http://bbm-equipement.com/en/2-tybelt-pro.html

This is a strong, multi-purpose belt which should serve admirably for uses involving technical rope or climbing situations. Mine just arrived and it is serving admirably as a belt. It is designed, and certified, for much more - meets CE EN566 requirements, and is classified as personal protective equipment PPI Class 3. I haven't the foggiest what that latter designation implies, but the belt is thoroughly stitched and I am confident it can serve as a sling, tether, or even as part of an improvised climbing harness, although that last would be a stretch. The failure strength is given as 22kn (above 4000 foot pounds).

It incorporates two loops, suitable for carabiner attachment, one at the buckle and the other at the far end of black tubular webbing. My locking biners clip in quite easily. I think I will wear this a lot when in the field, knowing that my belt came serve for more than just keeping my pants in place. It is a big improvement over some of the ersatz stuff currently available.

Technical suspenders, anyone?

#280718 - 05/19/16 01:29 AM Re: The Belt of My Dreams [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Made a similar but thinner one for my son. He tried it out with a belay on a short rappel. He uses it everyday to carry his possibles.

Used 1" tubular climbing web, Dynema thread and one of these 4000 lb double pass buckle . Of course there is super secret special hidden knowledge one needs to sew such a thing and use it safely.

One of my friends uses one when he skis the Haute Route. It functions with leg loops for crevasse travel and to hold up his pants at the Discos at night.

I noticed "The Belt of My Dreams" is made of polyester. It would not be as dynamic
as some materials.

Video on two other sling materials tested to failure.

Edited by clearwater (05/19/16 01:44 AM)

#280719 - 05/19/16 03:07 AM Re: The Belt of My Dreams [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

One point I failed to mention - go longer than the recommended sizes. I found that for my 34" waist, a medium size, nominally 38-42 was adequate, just. If I were ordering again, I would go for the next size up.

Edited by hikermor (05/19/16 04:36 PM)

#280721 - 05/19/16 03:25 AM Re: The Belt of My Dreams [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I saw an ad on a website for this belt and I thought of you, hikermor laugh.

#280722 - 05/19/16 11:09 AM Re: The Belt of My Dreams [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

So it's just another riggersbelt? And the supplied carabiners still have pin and noses, instead of a keylock. So just some cheap biners?

Not sure what 'for uses involving technical rope or climbing situations' means and I'm a sport, trad, alpine climber and used to be a towerworker... What happend to just carry a proper harness when climbing? Lots of harnesses which are cheaper, tiny when stored and well... an actuall harness!

For light and fast, you could go all the way to a 95gram/3.3 ounces and $40ish harness (CAMP XLH 95). Looks a bit lik e thong to me and prefer a little bit more comfort (I have a BD COULOIR 230ggram/8 oz).

#280725 - 05/19/16 01:32 PM Re: The Belt of My Dreams [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I would stay away from the "Pro" setup. I have plenty of locking biners that will work just fine. Knife Center offers just the belt for about 32 bucks.

If I am going into a technical situation, one of the first things is a proper, well fitted harness. This is from a guy who did his longest rappel ever, 580 feet mostly overhanging, in a swami seat tied from 1" webbing. This was before harnesses were available.

In my case, with my lead climbing and SAR days well behind me, for the last several years my technical efforts have been directed toward rigging in steep terrain in the Channel Islands (USA) to retrieve either archaeological or paleontological stuff from steep cliffs. In fact, I keep a stuff bag loaded with harness, helmet, rope. slings, and biners just for this purpose. I am planning more activity once again on a very interesting project later this year.

There are lots of riggers belts, and rigger-like belts available, but this is one of the few that is credibly certified and yet also works as a normal belt. It is essentially one more arrow in the quiver - a multi-purpose item which can reliably function in a technical environment. When I go over the edge this August in my BD harness, this will also be around my waist, ready to perform who knows what....

I am always comforted by having the means at hand to improvise.

#280727 - 05/19/16 01:55 PM Re: The Belt of My Dreams [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I think the EN 566 is to standard for climbing slings?

http://www.theuiaa.org/upload_area/Safety/Standards/Safety-Standards/UIAA_104_Slings_March_2013.pdf

So it's just 22kn, with some stitching requirements and things like that. Stronger than the required harness strenght of 15kn, but you probably broke something else before hitting 15kn anyways...

I prefer to keep things light and neat. Belts seems to rub against my skin and get things pinched when you wear a harness over the top of it.

I also find the distracting when doing a partner check. Too much stuff. Keep things well organised and neat prevents stupid mistakes of misclipping items to the wrong thing. One of the reasons why I hate those webbing bands that people use to hold up the chalkbag.

#280729 - 05/19/16 04:34 PM Re: The Belt of My Dreams [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Your attachment refers to 566:2006. Not sure that is the same thing that is referenced in the Tybelt literature. I agree, whatever the rating is, my tender body would fail before any of the referenced standards are exceeded.

BTW, I have used a belt in technical rigging. This was a long time ago, and I had a strong steel buckle stitched to a sturdy length of webbing. Short of gear on a technical rescue, I employed it as one leg of my multiple-point belay. It worked, although it was never significantly stressed..I wore that belt for several years and I was always glad it was handy, though I often wondered just how strong it was...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 346 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.