The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#280704 - 05/18/16 02:55 AM Re: Improvised knife sheath? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Doug, glad you are not the only one who has ever thought of this!

Here is my idea from sometime ago. Get a pool noodle (3.5" diameter size) from the Dollar store, Canadian Tire, Walmart etc. Cut a section length to fit the knife then cut the noodle in half lengthwise then trim to your needs. You could also cut a slit in the side of the noodle for an improvised belt loop attachment point.

Slip the knife into the noodle then press in so the handle is also in the noodle. The fit is so tight that you do not have to worry about the knife slipping out. Another good factor is the if you drop the knife into the water, it will float.

John Lubbock

#280705 - 05/18/16 03:46 AM Re: Improvised knife sheath? [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This depends on the trip and upon circumstances, but other options include 1) for repeated trips to one location - just buy a knife and leave it with a friend between trips 2) mail a CARE package full of forbidden fruit to your destination and mail it back after the trip. These strategies aren't workable for every trip, but I have used them successfully...

#280706 - 05/18/16 12:29 PM Re: Improvised knife sheath? [Re: hikermor]
NAro Offline
Addict

In that same thrift shop, buy a cheap belt and tube of good glue (or JB Weld). A leather sheath doesn't have to be stitched. You can glue it up.. and even leave enough buckle to have a way to attach/carry it.

#280707 - 05/18/16 02:01 PM Re: Improvised knife sheath? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Nice suggestions, thanks!

Cardboard by itself isn't entirely trustworthy (all bets are off should I fall on the blade at an unlucky angle). But reinforced with other materials as suggested, it should be a considerably more robust.

The polypropylene cutting mat is an option I hadn't thought of. Nice touch using the hotel hair dryer to shape it! I imagine very hot water might work also.

The leather belt is a good approach, either by itself or combined with tape and other materials. Better still: thrift shops often receive belts that aren't good enough to resell, and if you ask in the back you can have them for free.

One thing I have used successfully is 1/2" PEX tubing (cross-linked polypropylene) used for water lines in new construction. There are often discarded chunks at construction sites. This stuff is super tough to cut (hacksaw preferred) but if you can make a slit, it's good protection for any edge including machetes and axes. I imagine you could melt a slit into it with a nail and a heat source.

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/18/16 02:07 PM)

#280709 - 05/18/16 08:02 PM Re: Improvised knife sheath? [Re: dougwalkabout]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Nice suggestions, thanks!

I agree.

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Cardboard by itself isn't entirely trustworthy (all bets are off should I fall on the blade at an unlucky angle). But reinforced with other materials as suggested, it should be a considerably more robust.

You mean just cardboard and tape isn't trustworthy?

I've made a sheath the way I described above ,
with just one wrap (three blade widths)
of brown cardboard from a crackers box
about 1/32inch(~.8mm) thick
I stabbed the sheathed knife into the floor several times,
it didn't poke through,
I stabbed at an angle, no pokes,
I pushed the edge into a table, edge didn't cut sheath

How do I get it to fail?

The only way I think its possible, aside from slicing it intentionally, is impact with hammer against anvil

cardboard from tetra-pack box of milk ought to be waterproof

#280710 - 05/18/16 08:16 PM Re: Improvised knife sheath? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

How about just sending a Mora to the destination? We're spending quite a bit of effort to figure out an improvised sheath, and unless it's made from conveniently available materials in a convenient manner, it doesn't seem worthwhile -- especially when you can get a Mora for perhaps ten dollars more. I guess it's up to you to decide how much value your time has.

#280711 - 05/18/16 08:50 PM Re: Improvised knife sheath? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
If you access to a stove, you can dip PVC conduit in boiling water to soften it and form it around the knife while it cools. Use a towel to protect your hands while forming it. Caveat Emptor: I'm not sure I would use the pot for food afterwards...

Or just get a knife that's safe for pack carry to begin with

http://www.target.com/p/farberware-3-5-i...er/-/A-50424185

http://www.target.com/p/folding-knife-gerber/-/A-14898467

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#280712 - 05/18/16 09:58 PM Re: Improvised knife sheath? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

You mean just cardboard and tape isn't trustworthy?

I've made a sheath the way I described above ...

Hmm! It seems you've had better luck than I have. I've had knife points penetrate tape-and-cardboard in soft-sided checked luggage. But it could be my lousy construction skills wink . I'll give your method another look.

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
...cardboard from tetra-pack box of milk ought to be waterproof

Good idea.

#280713 - 05/18/16 10:05 PM Re: Improvised knife sheath? [Re: Bingley]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
We're spending quite a bit of effort to figure out an improvised sheath, and unless it's made from conveniently available materials in a convenient manner, it doesn't seem worthwhile --

Maybe, but it's a thought exercise that interests me. The "garbage commons" has tons of useful stuff that can be repurposed, and many times that's more satisfying than whipping out a credit card. And anyway, it was too quiet around here. grin

From my POV, the ability to improvise "found" materials in an effective way is an invaluable skill set in survival situations (or more importantly, in preventing them).

#280714 - 05/18/16 11:14 PM Re: Improvised knife sheath? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Buy a decent folder?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.