The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279943 - 03/11/16 01:44 PM Re: Preparedness on disability [Re: Ed_Stafford]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
you live in Utah, the "pros from Dover" in the food storage world is the LDS church...the best video I've come across on food storage was by Wendy DeWitt (LDS)... it is long, but well worth watching...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLuIApyNPc

Edited by LesSnyder (03/11/16 01:47 PM)

#279950 - 03/11/16 05:45 PM Re: Preparedness on disability [Re: Ed_Stafford]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Welcome to ETS, ED! There's a lot of wisdom and experience in this group, and everyone is always willing to share their knowledge.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#279958 - 03/12/16 06:01 AM Re: Preparedness on disability [Re: Ed_Stafford]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Welcome, Ed! It's good to have you at ETS.

#279959 - 03/12/16 07:07 AM Re: Preparedness on disability [Re: Ed_Stafford]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Greetings from Provo welcome to the forums..
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#279979 - 03/14/16 06:08 PM Re: Preparedness on disability [Re: Ed_Stafford]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Hey Ed,

First and foremost, welcome to ETS!! As you can see it is a great place with outstanding people.

Second: Like others have said - water; store it.

Third: this is probably a little redundant, but just take a look at how, what, and where you store things. As your life has changed due to the unfortunate disability, make sure that access to your supplies makes sense for your particular situation - reach, flexibility, mobility, etc.

Fourth consideration: buy that one extra can of baked beans, Chunky-style soups, crackers, simple hygiene supplies of some sort as often as possible. Build slowly.

Fifth: Scour this site and ask the question. I have received some great information and advice. You will find the Personal Message (PM) function helpful.

Again, welcome to the Forum, kick up your feet, and spin a yarn or two.

#279980 - 03/14/16 06:46 PM Re: Preparedness on disability [Re: bws48]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Under the heading of "better lucky than smart," here is the link I was thinking of when I mentioned the LDS canning of food, and the availability thereof:
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=157138&page=1

Edited by bws48 (03/14/16 06:47 PM)
Edit Reason: typos

#279983 - 03/15/16 04:01 AM Re: Preparedness on disability [Re: Ed_Stafford]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Not sure whether anyone's said this already in this thread, but I know some people who live in earthquake zones stash their supplies in different locations. If a building collapses and destroys a part of your supplies or makes them inaccessible, you still have the other parts. That is, if you survive...

#279984 - 03/15/16 04:08 AM Re: Preparedness on disability [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Not sure whether anyone's said this already in this thread, but I know some people who live in earthquake zones stash their supplies in different locations. If a building collapses and destroys a part of your supplies or makes them inaccessible, you still have the other parts. That is, if you survive...

Definitely a good idea. In addition, our cars, it happens, are parked in the open. I make sure that there is a certain amount of minimum gear in each vehicle, fairly likely to still be accessible after an EQ and useful if we should decide to leave.

#280012 - 03/18/16 11:29 AM Re: Preparedness on disability [Re: Ed_Stafford]
Cjoi Offline
Stranger

Loc: N Cal
Hi Ed- Putting together a kit/supplies on a budget is tricky enough, add in disabilities and allergies and it makes it both much trickier and much simpler.

The folks here are terrific sources of info and I've learned a lot lurking here.

For the tight budget part, there are some common strategies such as smart use of your Dollar Store or equivalent. Lots of folks report finding good equipment at estate sales and thrift stores like Salvation Army or GoodWill which both have online stores. Watching for sales at the bargain stores ( here those might be Smart'n'Final or WinCo, not sure about your area.)

Allergies, depending upon the specifics and severity can be very significant challenges. At minimum, CAREFUL reading of labels is most important. If the allergies are the biggies that are increasingly being diagnosed such as, gluten, casein, nuts, chicken eggs, corn, you have lots of company these days. There are good online groups - often of knowledgeable parents who have truly pioneered the searches for safe foods.

Then there are the issues, after deciding on which foods are safe and can store well, of exactly HOW to store or in what form to buy in order to store well. If you don't have a countertop vacuum food saver, you might contact you neighbors or a local LDS to see if they can help or can advise you. Again, on the food saver, that can sometimes be found at the thrifty suggestions, above, or the LDS cannery may help you out...

Without knowing your specific allergens, Amy's Lentil Soup and Lentil Vegetable soups are relatively allergen free. Our COSTCO sells six or eight cans in a small case. If nuts aren't a problem, a glass jar of nut butter can be a good ready to eat food that needs no cooking... Plain canned beans (saves on water and fuel) and instant rice are great staples that can be dressed up with herbs/spices to offer nutrition and variety.

Steer clear of foods that go rancid quickly such as brown rice and foods not packaged in glass...

Without a better idea of some details, those are some suggestions just off the top.

Honestly, YouTube is one of my favorite resources for seeing how others prepare on the cheap or on a budget. Definitely do-able! Let us know about your progress!

Edited by Cjoi (03/18/16 11:33 AM)

#280014 - 03/18/16 01:41 PM Re: Preparedness on disability [Re: Ed_Stafford]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Ed, I'm not prepping for/with a disability but I am on a tight budget. Some of the things that work for our family include:

*Absorb wisdom. There are A LOT of experts out there, who will tell you exactly what you need to do to prepare for an emergency. Some of them are full of poop. Research with an open mind, but keep your BS detector on. It's easy to get overwhelmed and caught up in an extreme mindset. Think seriously about what you really need to prepare for. How likely is any given scenario? How big of an impact would it have on you/your family? When I first started preparing, ETS was a HUGE help for me in this regard. The people here are pretty realistic in their approach and I really appreciate that they help me learn and keep me focused at the same time.

As an example: the top four likely events that my family prepares for are house fire, local industrial emergency, local weather emergency, and job loss. An emergency at one of the nuclear plants near us would have devastating consequences for us, so we prepare for that too, but the likelihood of that happening is lower, so we have KI pills and keep our vehicle gas tanks full. The concrete bunker filled with guns and gas masks, that I was sure we needed when I first started prepping, has been moved way down the priority list. wink

*Don't go buying fancy stuff for bug-out bags or bug-in supplies until you know what you need and know you can afford it. Make a list and look around your own house first. Clothing, blankets, cooking stuff, hygiene, etc... you are probably more prepared than you think. Organize what you have on-hand first, and then make a list of what you need.

Once upon a time, my husband and I bought a years worth of food. We took delivery up-front and we paid for monthly over the year. The pantry and chest freezer were full and it gave us great peace of mind. (It sure came in handy when my husband lost his job.) At the time, we could afford it, and we made it last a very long time by continuing to do our regular grocery shopping every week and rotating the goods through the pantry to keep everything fresh.

We can't afford that anymore, so now I buy a little extra every week when I do my regular grocery shopping. A few extra cans a every week doesn't break the bank and will add up quickly.

*Make a smart budget and stick to it relentlessly. Save for big ticket items and shop the sales for the little stuff. It really helps make the most of our money. If I allow myself $5 a week to add to the emergency pantry, for example, I can spend $1 a can and get five of something, or look for a sale and get 2 for $1 and double my purchasing/storing power.

*Storing only what we actually eat. We don't have specialty food for emergencies. (An emergency is going to be stressful enough without asking my kids to eat something different.) We do have some fancy dehydrated meals and MREs, left-over from our days of having a disposable income, but dehydrating or canning home cooked meals in the oven is way cheaper and healthier.

*Eating what we store. Buy stuff when it's on sale and rotate through your pantry from oldest to newest. It'll help keep your stored food from going rancid, and you'll always eat at good prices.

*Learn to cook. It's cheaper and cooking for yourself is a survival skill all on it's own. Practice making meals without the convenience of electricity. In fact, learn to use all your emergency supplies and practice your contingencies. Monthly fire drills at home, power-free nights at home, mock bug-outs.... being ready includes knowing what to expect, as best you can anyway.

EDIT: It's not budgetary in nature, but I'd also add learning your medical needs and procedures to the "Learn to Cook" theory. If your medical services are not available in an emergency, you need to know what you need to do to provide them for yourself.

*Don't buy water. Clean your own containers and refill them with tap water. Add a little bleach if you're concerned about germs.

*Second-hand stores and garage sales are great for finding supplies. You can often get great quality stuff for little money.

*Dollar stores are great. The quality/quantities aren't always the same but you can find good deals there on all kinds of things.

Edited by bacpacjac (03/19/16 12:14 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.